Johnnys Lux

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Johnnys Lux

Postby JNYKAY on Fri, 22 Jan 2016 12:21 +0000

So it was about time i started my own build thread! Ive been meaning to do it for a while but have never really got around to it.

First things first!
I bought my 09 SR5 at the end of 2013 as sort of a Christmas present for myself! BEST PRESENT EVER!
It was a one owner car before me and it was very stock expect for the Toyota bull bar on the front and only had 60,000kms on the clock, no scratches and a very clean interior the only downside for me is that its an auto, but really its no big deal.

My plan at this point was to make the car into a touring vehicle and go around Aus and that really hasn't changed! its just taking me longer than i wanted to get the car ready!

Light Bar Install
So one of the first things i did was put a front facing light bar on the bull bar, a must have for night driving!
I did all the cabling myself, even made my own little fuse and relay bank (will post pics up later)
Also i installed a UHF, just a basic Oricom UHF030 that i got from Christmas 2014

Safari Snorkel
Another must have in the world of 4WDing
I installed the snorkel myself and while doing this the drill bill in the hole saw snapped and i scratched all up the side of the front panel!!!! luckily i was able to paint it up and then the snorkel just covered the scratches!!! SO LUCKY!

Roof Rack + Awning
The main reason i wanted a roof rack was to have somewhere for my awning.
I don't like the clamp on roof racks so i went with the Rhino tracks and found a nicely sized roof rack at a local 4x4 shop All up the rack cost me $450 including the tracks, bolts and rack!
the awning is a Kalahari Black edition, which is fantastic! (and its black. not khaki)

I also at this point decided to take the side steps off the car, they were always in the way while driving so i just got rid of them in hope of finding some cheap rock sliders one day

Tray
To Tray or Not to Tray... that is the question.. for me the answer is TRAY!
All of my mates thought i was silly to put a tray on my car over say a carry boy canopy.
But really i have SOOOO much more storage room now I've put the tray on!

The tray is a custom build, i designed it myself and with a lot of help from a good mate of mine we built it!
took a few weekends to make it just right, first one to get the mounting points perfect, second to weld it all out and the third to apply the finishing touches, i then sent it away to get painted (2 Pack) and once i got it back i put it straight on the Lux which only took a night!

All and all i love the tray! and ill be happy to share my design with anyone looking to make their own! i drew the designs up on Sketch up so anyone with a PC should be able to view them.

So Whats Next?
So i have a few things planned!
1st - i just bought a second hand TJM bull bar to replace the horrible hilux stock one! will post the finished product here!
2nd - i found my old Sun raiser triangle pattern rims off my old Surf! so they are going to get painted up and put on!
3rd - make a canopy for the tray.
4th - once all that is done and the weight is distributed i will upgrade the suspension

The rest will come eventually!!!

Cheers,
Johnny
My Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=26269
JNYKAY

Re: Johnnys Lux

Postby TOYZX on Fri, 22 Jan 2016 12:38 +0000

Nice one mate! Started with a nice blank canvas like I did except I didn't even have a bullbar. Oh how things change! Keep it up mate!
TOYZX

Postby JNYKAY on Fri, 22 Jan 2016 12:53 +0000

Cheers Toyzx!
All i need now is to win the lotto $$$$$$$
JNYKAY

Postby TOYZX on Fri, 22 Jan 2016 2:00 +0000

Don't we all!
TOYZX

Postby JNYKAY on Wed, 09 Mar 2016 11:10 +0000

Update

Bull Bar
So i got around to fitting the TJM bull bar. I also managed to get a new UHF antenna (GME AE4705 B)
It all looks awesome, and first thing i did was go straight out to Dargo for a cruise with the boys!

Switches
Ive always hated the switch panel just in fornt of the gear stick, so i decided to fix it up!
Ripped it out and got a Narva 12volt and USB adapter from ebay and made a stainless rocker switch plate for all the switches.
I ended up having to get the plastibond out and mold a new shape into it, but once that was all set/sanded and cut into shape i just wrapped it in some carbon fiber vinyl i had laying around, i may need to redo the vinyl wrap but overall it came out nice

MORE TO COME SOON
JNYKAY

Postby JNYKAY on Tue, 15 Mar 2016 7:03 +0000

UPDATE

Roof Console
The reason behind me wanting a roof console is that i keep the UHF in the center console, which is fine... but i have to turn the volume up to max in order to hear it.

As there is no other place for it in the Lux i decided to get a roof console... BUT HOLLY HELL THEY ARE EXPENSIVE!!!!
So i decided to have a go at making my own!!!

First things first i drew up the rough design on SketchUp
I made two designs, one with a drop storage console and the other with a simple cut out....

First thing was to make a template, got in the car and got the curves just right (if anyone wants the template just message me and i will see what i can do :D )

It was time to start! I decided to use 9mm ply for the build and simply glue everything together... i then thought... "hey i have a brad gun... why aren't i using that!" so i grabed some 30mm brads and went to town!

Once it was all bradded together and the glue had dried, i grabbed my sander and sanded all the curves and edges.
It was then time to make sure it fits!!! Which it did!

So I've now got to wait for all the rest of the parts to get in.. and then i can fit them all and then upholster it!

Cheers!
Johnny

Update will come soon!!!
JNYKAY

Postby TOYZX on Tue, 15 Mar 2016 7:13 +0000

Nice one mate! Always better to build it yourself.
TOYZX

Postby JNYKAY on Tue, 15 Mar 2016 7:23 +0000

Cheers mate,

I agree, i will only go out an buy something if i know (or fail :lol:) to build it

Johnny
JNYKAY

Postby JNYKAY on Tue, 15 Mar 2016 7:26 +0000

*if i know i can't build it

England Skills are a bit off today :?
JNYKAY

Postby TOYZX on Tue, 15 Mar 2016 12:25 +0000

I'm the same I always have a go first!
TOYZX

Postby gold member on Tue, 15 Mar 2016 6:41 +0000

Mate that awesome work! Have messaged about templates! I think I really need to build one now after seeing this, cant wait to see finished product
gold member

Postby LocalFart on Wed, 16 Mar 2016 8:52 +0000

Nice build so far.

Looking forward to seeing what you can make with the roof console... considering they can be purchased for ~$450.

Keep it up :D
LocalFart

Postby gold member on Fri, 25 Mar 2016 9:42 +0000

Any updates on your roof console build bud?
gold member

Postby JNYKAY on Tue, 29 Mar 2016 9:02 +0000

Forgot to mention!
I got the idea for black pleather from Stu.wrf450
Go check out his build thread!!!
JNYKAY

Postby JNYKAY on Thu, 31 Mar 2016 5:48 +0000

UPDATE

So i have a spare hour or so last night and decided to try and get this mount done for the roof console.

There are two spots for the console to mount to the roof, the Map light and the dome light.
I used all preexisting holes, so no drilling holes in the roof required!!!

Where the maps lights are i made a bracket that screws into the two existing mounting points, on the console side i used a bit of timber and molded it into the shape of the map light bracket and attached it to either side of the console.
So i short to install this mount all i need to do is slide the console from the windscreen into the bracket - works like a charm!

Where the dome light was is a bit more difficult because of the fact, that i didn't want any screws left on the outside of the console once i finished....
So to do this, I made yet another bracket and bolted it on to the console (this will be covered once its upholstered) this bracket will then bolt onto a bracket that's attached to the map light mounts (4 screws).

The only problem here is that how do bolt them together????
Well I'm using LED panels and frosted perspex for the lights/covers so what if i make it so i can remove one of the lights from the outside.... this should give me enough room to bolt the two brackets together and then simply install the light back once its on.... this means the console has no external bolts and can be removed and all original maps lights and dome lights can be reinstalled! BRILLIANT!

Hopefully more to come soon!
JNYKAY

Postby Milan on Sat, 09 Apr 2016 6:13 +0000

Looking pretty good, what are you going to use for upholstery. :D
Milan

Postby JNYKAY on Mon, 11 Apr 2016 9:04 +0000

I'll be using black pleather with white stitching, hopeing to finishing it next weekend!!! will post up the finished product.
JNYKAY

Postby Fennasi kerim on Wed, 13 Apr 2016 5:17 +0000

Good idea for the cb mate i was gonna get a roof console but then coz of the high cost i said f$@#&% it and placed the cb deck in my dash where the steering found a snug little space just for it to fit and hid it there i then placed the handset near the gearbox and placed a big ass gme speaker the biggest one they had and bolted that under the passenger dash away from getting damaged it just fit you cant even tell its there did all the wiring myself and it turned out beautiful
Fennasi kerim

Postby JNYKAY on Wed, 18 May 2016 4:14 +0000

UPDATE

About time i did an update on my build, in particular my latest project, the roof console!
So I had it installed in the car for about two weeks to make sure i wont hit my head and i like the design. All went good!

So it was onto getting the upholstery done! Now my aim was to do everything myself! So out came the sewing machine and away i went!

Once it was all done it was just a matter of installing the upholstery, i just used a staple gun and stretched the material around the console with the best of my ability!
One it was all tacked down i got some frosted perspex and glued the map light and dome light covers together!
After that i installed all the switches and wired it all together!

That's it DONE! just have to install it now!!! (Maybe this weekend if i can find some time)

Now i don't think i will stop here! I'm thinking about doing another one... a better one! maybe over Christmas so I know i have time!
JNYKAY

Postby JNYKAY on Wed, 18 Jan 2017 4:33 +0000

Update

Okay, about time i did something else to the Lux!
Recently I've got a rolled aluminum canopy made up for the tray, this will then have aluminum doors made up and then the four side wrapped in canvas! And if i don't mind saying, it looks f$@#&% awesome!
Cant wait to get the rest done.

Shout out to Marco and Allform Industries in Morwell for making this possible!

JNYKAY

Next

Return to Member Build Ups