Wombat's "mine truck to camping/touring weapon" build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Wombat's "mine truck to camping/touring weapon" build

Postby wombat81 on Sun, 16 Feb 2020 2:18 +0000

Haven't updated for a while. Too busy. I got the new solar array on a while back. It's a 3 x 80w array from RTM/Jaycar. I bolted them together with stainless bolts and some aluminium flat bar. It pumps out at least as much power as my old 250w ebay panel. I've had the Waeco CF50 at 3deg and running non stop for about 3 months now. No issues at all. I decided to mount the panel under the bars this time so that I can still carry stuff on the rack if need be. I don't usually have much up there while camping/touring. Usually only recovery treds, fishing rods and occasionally the swag or oztent when we take them.

Also just an update on the OME springs. I'm supper happy with them. They raised the rear considerably and even with the camper hooked up it sits nice and high. So for anyone who carries a constant load in the back and has sagging issues when towing, I'd definitely recommend the OME 600kg-GVM springs. Because I've got the heavy steel tray and the canopy setup, batteries, fridge, solar panels etc (so quite a bit of constant weight, probably 300-400kg) it still rides well for day to day use. But I know I can load the canopy with gear, and hook up the trailer and I'll still be sweet.
My wheels look really small in this picture. I hope I can afford/justify going to 245s with new wheels next time I need tyres.
Current: 2021 SR Dual Cab Chassis 4x4 2.8TD Manual
Retired: 2010 SR Dual Cab Chassis 4x4 3.0TD Manual
My current (2021 model) build thread
My previous (2010 model) build thread
wombat81

Previous

Return to Member Build Ups