Mikayla's first car....

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Mikayla's first car....

Postby Mrmal on Tue, 03 Nov 2015 11:43 +0000

The dreaded time has come close for the first born daughter to start to drive and she will need a car. I want her to not only learn how to drive a car but work on one as well. A project car was in order and I have to say I am pretty damn proud of her efforts over the last 12 months.

So the daughter wanted a Cruiser Ute for her first car - great choice but a little hard on the pocket. We ended up with a Hilux - a nice single cab maintenance ute that came up for the cost of a favour. Bit of a dog but a good start:

Next she really wanted to be able to camp in it as she likes to get out in the bush - googling only made her want a tub - now there is "rare as rocking horse poo" and then there is unicorn poo - found one straight as 4 hours down the road - couldn't believe my luck:

Then I taught her how to use tools and store nuts and bolts etc - her job was to pull the interior out using the 22 pages of workshop manual - a few hours later I check on her and its looking good - dash and all interior stripped for cleaning:

The paint work had a few dents, scratches and covered in weld and grind splatter - not a simple job of polish her up - next job - paint, so with the help of a good mate we started in on it. It was amazing the amount of panel damage when you get started - the roof was like a trampoline:

Whilst the paint was being sorted we were worried a bit out the quality of the mechanicals - needed a new clutch so when I was offered a new recond engine with a new turbo from a reconditioning mate for $2k we decided that the engine needed to come out to fit the clutch :) :

Painting was done by this stage and it started look pretty sweet - we started to chuck the interior back in. When the daughter was happy to replace the three seat bench arrangement with a bucket arrangement I was more than happy to spring for a set of 2014 buckets - one less teenage idiot in the car right?. New carpet, hood lining and some bling items and it was looking schmik:

The missus got involved at this stage and said something like "whilst the tub is off you might as well fit whatever else you need to fit......" - Don't mind if I do said the daughter. Opposite lock were having an overstocked sale up this way - the results of that trip and others is:

3" exhaust fitted - as it is easier to fit whilst tub off :)

Side step protection from a dual cab - only minor mods to make em fit:

Long range tank - definitely easier to fit whilst off:

So last weekend we finally got around to bolting the tub and wheels on and for a 4x4 single cab I think the girl is going to be happy with her new ride as it looks pretty sweet even not being finished:

Other works being attempted are:

Front mount intercooler from scratch (she may be a good alloy welder by the end of this project)
Front and rear protection bars (MCC rocker)
Canopy
Dual Battery tray
Compressor and Tank to tub
Drawers
Fridge Slide
EGT / Boost gauge install
Usual spotlights and reverse camera

Mik gets her license in March 16 so we have a deadline as her first trip is five rocks, Byfield over easter followed by mid year holiday trip to the cape - I reckon that should get her hours up....... probably have to take lots of pics to prove her logbook to the DOT!
Last edited by Mrmal on Tue, 03 Nov 2015 12:30 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Mrmal

Re: Mikayla's first car....

Postby hilux_bondy_007 on Tue, 03 Nov 2015 12:01 +0000

Good write up none of your photos work
hilux_bondy_007

Postby Mrmal on Tue, 03 Nov 2015 12:09 +0000

Got em to work with a little more forum searching :)
Mrmal

Postby mylux04 on Tue, 03 Nov 2015 12:37 +0000

Well done guys lux has come up a treat.
Cheers Tony
mylux04

Postby apSlain on Tue, 03 Nov 2015 2:38 +0000

Mrmal wrote:Mik gets her license in March 16 so we have a deadline as her first trip is five rocks, Byfield over easter followed by mid year holiday trip to the cape - I reckon that should get her hours up....... probably have to take lots of pics to prove her logbook to the DOT!

The car's looking great; good taste wanting the 'Cruiser Ute!

Just a heads up if you're in NSW - if she's getting hours up via long trips, make sure to break up the logbook every two hours for half an hour. The RMS will invalidate all those hours if you don't follow their Stop / Revive / Survive suggestion. I don't know whether this rule applies to other states but it isn't nice having a chunk of your hours written off and being told you have to re-do them.
Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

Postby Sparksy on Tue, 03 Nov 2015 4:11 +0000

apSlain wrote:
Mrmal wrote:Mik gets her license in March 16 so we have a deadline as her first trip is five rocks, Byfield over easter followed by mid year holiday trip to the cape - I reckon that should get her hours up....... probably have to take lots of pics to prove her logbook to the DOT!

The car's looking great; good taste wanting the 'Cruiser Ute!

Just a heads up if you're in NSW - if she's getting hours up via long trips, make sure to break up the logbook every two hours for half an hour. The RMS will invalidate all those hours if you don't follow their Stop / Revive / Survive suggestion. I don't know whether this rule applies to other states but it isn't nice having a chunk of your hours written off and being told you have to re-do them.

x 2. This is correct, anything after two straight hours of driving won't be counted. Had a mate who decided to get all his hours in in a return trip from Sydney to Townsville only to be told by the RTA that most of it wasn't eligible!

That said, I'm sure everyone here has played silly buggers with their logbooks at some point! ;)
Sparksy

Postby Pete'90 on Tue, 03 Nov 2015 5:32 +0000

Nice write up. It will be a one of a kind. I don't think I have ever seen a 150 series 4x4 single cab hilux with a tub before.
Build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=23139

Regards
Pete
Pete'90

Postby beachbum62 on Tue, 03 Nov 2015 6:35 +0000

Brilliant work there,what a dad well done,drive safe young lady and have fun, maybe send her for an advanced driving and 4x4 course, Just a thought.

Cheers

Wayne
La Vita E'un Dono
beachbum62

Postby Mrmal on Wed, 04 Nov 2015 9:48 +0000

Thanks for the feed back guys - the two hour break does apply in Queensland and that is pretty much covered by the female bladder :o

We have a family friend who runs a driving school - first up will be a couple of lessons in the schools dual cab hilux!

As for being one of a kind - I don't think I have ever seen an MK6 or MK7 4x4 with a tub so I reckon she will stand out from the crowd.
Mrmal

Postby Mrmal on Mon, 09 Nov 2015 11:45 +0000

So we got the intercooler mounted out the front - just need a few more tweeks on the pipes and connectors but basically good enough to get it running and registered - it is probably the biggest intercooler we could fit - not much hope of jamming a winch in there....... ;)

We also fitted up the new angel eyes and grill - a great lesson had in the use of relays to get both high and low beam bulbs to come on without letting the smoke out of the harness......

Bullbar should be here this week so that just leaves us fitting, final check of all bolts and wiring of the steering wheel controls - hopefully have a trade plate road test this weekend!
Mrmal

Postby NZMarkb on Mon, 09 Nov 2015 2:00 +0000

Good on ya mate
What a lucky young lady
Wish you all the best with it, what a great dad you are
Pity more people don't keep involved with their children
:) :) :)
If your not prepared to stand behind our Troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jakelux on Mon, 09 Nov 2015 2:31 +0000

Its looking tuff! Nice work :D
jakelux

Postby Camboss on Wed, 11 Nov 2015 4:20 +0000

Nice build, and what a great first car!
Camboss

Postby NLF91 on Sat, 14 Nov 2015 10:16 +0000

Looking awesome! Great first rig!!
NLF91

Postby bkstravel on Sat, 14 Nov 2015 10:47 +0000

don't see too many young females wanting a 4x4 and to go camping in it :shock: , awesome job, you's sound pretty knowledgeable and good to see her really involved in the build.
all the best for future travels.
bkstravel

Postby V6SINGLE on Wed, 20 Jan 2016 4:35 +0000

sweet build ! any more photos ! i have a black single cab 4x4 and have always wanted a wellback one. can i ask you what you paid for it at all?
V6SINGLE

Postby Mrmal on Thu, 21 Jan 2016 3:19 +0000

V6 the tub was a case of "if we ever had one I would want $2000 for it". Got quoted $2500 for a damaged one out of Melbourne I would have to replace the rear quarter on! Spoke to a body builder in Gracemere near Rockhampton whilst I was down there for work just as an off chance - he was like "yeah I got one of those - has a tree growing through the head board - want at least $400 for it" - could not peel the notes off quick enough! The tree was four foot high :lol:

I will post some more pics soon - got the engine coming out at the moment as it developed a tak tak sound after 1500's not happy! :evil:
Mrmal

Postby Mrmal on Thu, 21 Jan 2016 5:17 +0000

So finally got photobucket to work, the end product with the car on the road - front and rear:

Side on after a nice dark tint:

Anyone know what causes scoring on the thrust lines? Main scoring on exhaust and minor scoring on Inlet sides #1 is worst with #2 & #3 starting with #4 being spotless - all this after 1500km from full rebuild.....

Mrmal

Postby Milan on Thu, 21 Jan 2016 9:33 +0000

Nice work there. How would you rate those headlights? Have you got any photos of them on at night i wouldn't mind seeing how they spread the light?

Keep it up ;)
Milan

Postby Mrmal on Thu, 21 Jan 2016 11:49 +0000

Milan - they are Ralleye 400's metal body with 100w HID conversion I did on them. Lights up high way signs 2.2 k's down the road. Both are pencils so don't spread the beam wide. I have put a great white LED bar in between the two spots on the central hoop - it spreads light out to a nice 250mtrs.......

Love the 400's as they are pretty robust and have a great mounting structure.

Mal
Mrmal

Next

Return to Member Build Ups