Steve's 2013 SR5 Buildup

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Steve's 2013 SR5 Buildup

Postby stevenm on Thu, 15 Jan 2015 3:44 +0000

Figured I may as well start a bit of a diary of the mods on the new truck as I go.

We brought ours new in Dec 2013. This in my 3rd Hilux - started with an 81 model, then had an 86 model for many years and built it to a pretty capabale rig. Made a dumb decision to get an RA Rodeo new in 2004 and it was the worst thing I've ever owned. Extremely happy to be in a Hilux again (didn't even walk into salesrooms of any other make).

Only mods so far is redarc brake controller, sealing up the tailgate and a basic draw system.
Started dual battery install today, and we are waiting for our canopy to arrive so we can get it fitted.
If all the gear arrives in time ove the Aust Day weekend I plan to run wiring to the tray so we can hard wire the fridge, compressor, water tank and all that guff.

This will be a slow as build as we're just finishing off our hotrod build too (its at the panel beaters getting hammered into shape as we speak).

Been doing a little bit of rougher stuff recently, pretty keen to get back into the tougher stuff again. Once the rod is finished it'll be all guns blazing at the truck to get it setup before I go bending panels. I'm suprised the factory sidesteps are still straight LOL Poor things have copped a beating lately.... :mrgreen:

And this is some (not all) of our other toys:

stevenm

Re: Steve's 2013 SR5 Buildup

Postby Pete'90 on Thu, 15 Jan 2015 7:49 +0000

Welcome to the site!! Yeah I don't think I could look too far past toyota anymore. Although they are simple, they are extremely reliable.
Nice Hot Rod there too, I have a mate who is running a 37 chev with a blown motor, putting out a whopping 480rwhp which Has ruined all other v8s for me now.
Build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=23139

Regards
Pete
Pete'90

Postby stevenm on Mon, 19 Jan 2015 5:51 +0000

Thanks Pete.

Ya mate chev sounds fun :D ;)
Yeah the black chev of ours we brought with the intention to hotrod. After driving it around for a few months we realised its just too nice a car to chop up. That's how we ended up getting the mercury.
stevenm

Postby stevenm on Sun, 01 Feb 2015 9:55 +0000

Finally got the dual battery all finished. Running a redarc BCDC1225 - I haven't wired the solar input yet (will do that once we get racks fitted). Also ran power to the tray - fitted a 6 fuse Bluesea distribution block. Hard wired the fridge, fitted a few ciggy plugs.
We've got a canopy being fitted in 2 weeks time, once thats done we can permanantly mount the water tank, draws, compressor (and hard wire iut too).

Went for a bit of a drive last week to Spicers Gap (did the 4wd track) and the gravel Lake Moogerha end, then lapped round to Condamine Gorge, Queen Mary and headed back home. Sat it on its sills and dragged its bum a few times with the standard suspension, bumped it's nose into a few deep ruts with the factory bumpers "approach :roll: :roll: " angle while trying to find its bog stock factory trims limit LOL Goes suprisingly well bog stock... even on the road tyres in the deep black soil mud.

We're off to Kenilworth next weekend, since we don't have a camper yet we need to drag the old van up there, so I had to completly rewire it as our German Shepard pup we got this time last year chewed it all when she was little... little turd she is LOL

Got it all done and hooked the van on. We haven't towed the van since we brought the hilux new in Nov 2013 :roll: Don't even know the vans there :D

stevenm

Postby stevenm on Fri, 06 Feb 2015 4:59 +0000

Got the UHF yesterday so gave myself an early mark off work and fitted it up.

Since we don't have a front bar yet I just fabricated a simple bracket for the aerial. More complex than it looks with bends and twists to fit thru the grill.
Mounted the UHF up in the drivers side kick panel like others have done.
Bunged a couple holes in the dash for the mic cradle and done :)

Hard wired it to the second battery, that way we can have the UHF on while the truck is turned off.
If you look carefully at the last pic you'll see just to the right of the mic (aprtially hidden by the steering wheel) teh led indicator light for the redarc that I fitted so I could monitor the redarc while driving. I put it there cause its just out of view when driving to avoid an anoying/distracting light. Only need to look down slightly to see it when needed though.

Anyways, time to load the truck and hook the van up to head off the the weekend for a bit of wheeling up at Kenilworth for the weekend :)

stevenm

Postby stevenm on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 6:00 +0000

Been a while since have time to post on here. Been a busy bee finishing off the hotrod - which its is all now done and dusted. Got rego a couple months ago.

Hilux hasn't had much done recently while we've been busy with the rod. Had a canopy fitted back in March/April. Loosely installed a draw system, but after having used them for the last few months will be redoing them. I've run power to the tray for permanant power for the waeco, air compressor etc.

stevenm

Postby stevenm on Tue, 01 Dec 2015 8:47 +0000

Few more additions made to the truck getting ready for next years trip.

Reverse light on the back - can't see jack-all at night reversing in the dark. Haven't driven at night to test it yet :roll:
Factory Reverse camera fitted last week when I sent it in for its 2 year service.
Got one of the clipon dash clips and mounted the ipad.(thanks to those who posted their tips on the forum :mrgreen: ) Works a treat and doesn't seem to come loose when out wheeling which is great.
Also got a set of USB ports from BAP and wired them up with constant power to keep the ipad & phones charged.
And I scored a factory 2nd T13 TJM bar for a steal - its got a small nick in the powdercoating near the driverside flare. Hardly noticeable 8-) I thought about getting teh bar colour coded but its only going to get a lot more scratched up by me so I'm not concerned about the small mark and not colour coding it LOL Fitted a factory bonnet protector too while I was at it.

stevenm

Postby Darrylkay_83 on Sun, 06 Dec 2015 9:59 +0000

How did you go with the t13 install? I got one for a great price (eBay) but haven't installed yet. Any tips?
Darrylkay_83

Postby stevenm on Mon, 07 Dec 2015 6:42 +0000

Easy as to install. Only takes a couple hours - worst was working out how to unclip the grill without busting clips.

My rellies own the TJM at the Sunny Coast and brother manages the one at Mt Isa and the only tips they gave me is to cut the flares AFTER you have the bar on the car. Measure down from the flare and leave a 20mm gap squared up to the end of the bar, otherwise it looks crooked.

If you have factory fog lights in the original bar you'll have to cut the plugs off the wiring that comes with the bar and off the factory harness and solder the new plugs onto the factory harness.
stevenm

Postby stevenm on Mon, 07 Dec 2015 6:44 +0000

New toy finally arrived on Friday 8-)

stevenm

Postby pyney on Wed, 27 Jan 2016 2:37 +0000

G'day Steve, a couple of things, where did you get the usb port and the clip on ipad bracket, both look great
and would be a good addition to my lux.
How did the new toy go? what make is it? I am looking at campers atm
Cheers Mick
pyney

Postby stevenm on Tue, 09 Feb 2016 8:01 +0000

pyney wrote:G'day Steve, a couple of things, where did you get the usb port and the clip on ipad bracket, both look great
and would be a good addition to my lux.
How did the new toy go? what make is it? I am looking at campers atm
Cheers Mick

Hi mick,
Got the use port from bap off-road and the iPad brackets from clipon.

Haven't had a chance to test the new toy as we sold our house and brought a new place over chrissy. Moved in 2 weeks ago and the camper is in storage :( it's a Mars spirit forward fold. We are off for a trip to the corner country after Easter so I need to hook in and get a few nights in the camper beforehand lol.
stevenm

Postby stevenm on Mon, 11 Apr 2016 1:49 +0000

Few more mods done on the hilux.

Picked up a set of outback drawers and the orginal MSA fridge drop slide of eBay for $500. The drawers were out of an extra cab so I spent half a day cutting and shutting and they fitted spot on :D

Next was Airtec Snorkle, a set of Dynamic Wheels and 265 70 17 Procomp Xtreme AT tyres, 2" lift, XRay Vision Linear Light Bar, XRay Vision HID headlight upgrade, Pedal Torque. mounted the air compressor in the tray and fitted a Rhino Tradie Platform.

Went over to Straddie over easter. Really noticed how much the 32's and all the accerories have slowed the hilux down while towing the camper... next planned job is exhaust and a chip to get some of the power back. Once I've got those couple extras done I think that will pull me up on this truck for mods.

stevenm

Postby john253a on Mon, 11 Apr 2016 2:51 +0000

If your carting the extra weight daily and not just when going on a trip, I would look into a set of 4.1, or try and source a set of diesel auto diffs,
The auto diffs will put you get you close to having your speedo read right and should be the cheapest option, where as a set 4.1 will cost a bit more but and sacafrices top end (past what's legal so many so don't worry)
But will give you less loss in power/torque to the tyres,
farting is alot like jxxxxxg off. both provide instant gratification, but neither is a long term solution to the actual problem......................
john253a

Postby stevenm on Tue, 12 Apr 2016 5:37 +0000

john253a wrote:If your carting the extra weight daily and not just when going on a trip, I would look into a set of 4.1, or try and source a set of diesel auto diffs,
The auto diffs will put you get you close to having your speedo read right and should be the cheapest option, where as a set 4.1 will cost a bit more but and sacafrices top end (past what's legal so many so don't worry)
But will give you less loss in power/torque to the tyres,

Thanks John :D
stevenm

Postby Pommy on Tue, 12 Apr 2016 9:31 +0000

Hey Steve
What lift did you go with? And did you get any scrub with the 265/70/17 or had you already had the lift in before fitting them.
Great colour by the way! I've got the same.
Cheers pommy
Pommy

Postby stevenm on Tue, 12 Apr 2016 10:11 +0000

Hi Pommy - everything is all TJM gear (rellies own the store at the Sunny Coast thats fits out the All 4 Adventure boys trucks, and my brother manages the Mt Isa store). At the end of the day theres much of a muchness between most of the leading brand standard 2" lifts. That and all my family and myself have been running the TJM gear for nearly 20 years now and between all of them/us have travelled a fair chunk of Oz towing campers and caravans (beach, desert and gravel) and we've done a lot of wheeling (local stuff and the cape) and its never let us down.
I'm fairly lucky with my brother in Mt Isa where he is seeing daily travellers and local vehicles coming into their shop and what does/doesnt work out there.

Fitted the tyres and lift at the same time, and no - had no issues at all with scrubbing yet. You will notice a noticable reduction in power though as the 32's do take a bit out of them.

Yeah I love the colour too... but it does show the bush pin striping really bad. As much as blue is my fav colour I probably wouldn't go this colour again.
stevenm

Postby Pommy on Tue, 12 Apr 2016 10:27 +0000

Cheers mate, good to know, I haven't decided on what lift to go yet so it's good to get the many opions people give of here. I went the tjm bar, rails and steps, very happy with it all. Wish I had of read your post about the cutting of the flares before I fitted mine. The way the instructions tell you to do it does leave them a tiny bit crooked :( . Not that noticeable but.
Cheers again for the info.
Pommy

Postby kitdoctor on Sat, 16 Apr 2016 12:31 +0000

Hi Steve, what model Dynamic wheels did you fit (model/manufacturer, size and offset)?

Second that for just how easy the Hilux's paint scratches, I think it's common to all colours, just that with lighter colours the scratches are harder to see. Paint is pretty thin also. I often here a ting when driving (a stone being flicked up by traffic) and sure enough there'll be a chip.

Cheers
Noel
kitdoctor

Postby stevenm on Mon, 18 Apr 2016 9:23 +0000

kitdoctor wrote:Hi Steve, what model Dynamic wheels did you fit (model/manufacturer, size and offset)?

Second that for just how easy the Hilux's paint scratches, I think it's common to all colours, just that with lighter colours the scratches are harder to see. Paint is pretty thin also. I often here a ting when driving (a stone being flicked up by traffic) and sure enough there'll be a chip.

Cheers
Noel

Hi Noel,
Dynamic Pythons in 17x8 with 25P offset
stevenm

Next

Return to Member Build Ups