Thanks for the comments, Just about done with the engine swap now. Has been a fair amount of mucking around to get everything to fit. Following on from the last update with the sump pics, I've had a few other parts to machine up. The throttle body was hard up against the back of the radiator so I had to relocate it from the front of the supercharger over to the other side of the engine closer to the air box. A couple of flanges were machined and some 3.5" aluminium tube welded in to form the crossover plenum. I also modified the air box lid to take a 4" outlet which is fitter with the MAF meter too.
Fitting the Toyota A/C compressor worked out well however the hoses needed to be realigned a bit to suit the new engine. I was going to make a couple of adaptors to change the angle that the hoses bolted to the compressor on but when I had a look at it, the compressor top completely unbolted so it made sense to just make a new top that directed the hoses where I needed them to go.
I bought an oil cooler adaptor to fit the oil lines to the transmission but when I fitted it, the Hilux transmission tunnel interfered with the line coming out of the top of the adaptor. The easiest fix was to machine a new one with the hoses in a different location which is what I probably should have done in the first place...
The factory stainless exhaust manifolds looked pretty good although they flared out wide just before the outlet which made them too wide to fit between the chassis rails. I decided to cut the outlet off them and weld some new ends on to suit before welding up a new exhaust out of stainless tube. I used the back half of the exhaust from the 2JZ engine although this has proven to be a bit loud and needs another muffler to be fitted.
With just about everything else sorted it was just a matter of completing the wiring and fitting everything back together.
A quick run on the dyno to make a few adjustments and check the air/fuel ratio. Power was bang on 250Kw at the wheels which was down a bit due to the snorkle being fairly restrictive. A run with the air box lid cracked open produced 298.2Kw.
Last edited by Web-eng on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 1:10 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
n0_pAnCaKeS wrote:Got room for dual snorkels? Let that beast breath! Awesome work man still loving this build
Yeah, I probably could but personally, I think they look stupid and the plumbing in the engine bay would look crap and be a major heat soak too. A 4" stainless snorkel would probably be the best solution but I'm not keen on them either. They just never look finished off properly on top which is why I went with the plastic one originally. I'm thinking about fitting an inlet port in the air box just behind the headlight that I can fit a screw on cap to whenever I'm heading off road. That way I get plenty of airflow for everyday driving and can seal it up when need be. I can also retain the snorkel I already have.
Last edited by Web-eng on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 7:49 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry mate, I don't have any pictures specifically of the mounts. Most of them were made using sections of RHS with a plate welded on top. The large mounts just behind the front wheels were taking the most weight by far and were fabricated using a piece of 5mm plate with some 75mm x 5mm flat wrapped around the outer edge to strengthen it all. These also support the front swaybay.
If you haven't already, take a few measurements of the 87 body and the Patrol width over the wheels. You are going to need some massive flares to cover the wheels on that! The new Hilux body is quite a bit wider than the earlier shapes and I still needed 90mm flares to cover the tyres and that was using the narrowest offset wheel I could legally fit!
Last edited by Web-eng on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 11:53 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
I ended up removing the compressor later in the conversion. Due to the size of the Duramax air filter the airbox ended up being fairly large and there wasn't enough space left for the compressor to fit it in there. Not sure how it would have gone with the engine bay temps? Plenty of people mount ARB compressors in the engine bay though.
Well, it's been quite a while since my last update due to photobucket shit canning the photo hosting. Anyway, I've now got that sorted and updated most of the old photos. With the new engine in and running well I'd been considering a brake upgrade. The stock Patrol brakes are less than ideal and I was after some better stopping power.
I found a couple of places selling "big brake" upgrade kits. They had bigger rotors and fancy name brand alloy calipers but I couldn't help thinking that outlaying $4000 - $5000 on a set of big brand name calipers was somewhat extreme and figured I could come up with my own setup for considerably less outlay.
With all this in mind, I've come up with my own setup and fitted a 330mm diameter (bolt on ring style) DBA T3 series disc rotor on a CNC machined adaptor, and a set of 4 piston Land Cruiser calipers. This has proven to be a considerable improvement over the standard Patrol brakes!
Last edited by Web-eng on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 7:53 +0000, edited 3 times in total.