A Mark’s adaptor had the Patrol transfer case fitted up to the 6L90 transmission in no time and getting the engine in was pretty straight forward too. The first set of engine mounts I did for the Supra engine were almost in the perfect location and a simple modification to the gearbox cross member I made for the Toyota gearbox/transfer had the engine/trans bolted in.
The factory LSA sump was never going to fit and the usual solution when fitting an LS engine into a Patrol is a rear drop U.S. Truck sump. As the Hilux engine bay is so much shorter than the Patrol though, I had to mount the engine further forward that where it would normally sit in relation to the front axle. This meant that rather than the sump dropping down behind the steering arm it had to fit in between the diff housing and the steering arm which didn’t leave me much room to cut the sump down to fit within. I didn’t want to extend the sump pan down too low/deep for obvious reasons so the only place to gain capacity was out to the passenger’s side of the engine. Unfortunately this is where the oil filter and all of its related oil galleries are located on the LS engines. The easiest way around it was to make a new sump from scratch and relocate the oil filter further out to the side leaving as much space as possible to fit a narrow in length but wide sump pan. Made up a new oil pickup to suit and fitted it all back in place.
I took the springs out and let the front of the chassis sit down as low as possible to check on the clearance between the sump and the diff housing and steering shaft. Fairly tight!!!
The finished sump. All the aluminium welding done by a mate.
A lot of extra work but it came up a treat and holds just on 7 litres.
I’ve also got a couple of tailshaft being modified and I’ve made a new gear lever for the Patrol transfer case.
On the down side, I now have a set of custom made tailshafts made using all brand new components to drive Patrol diffs from a Hilux gear drive transfer case. Done very little work....
I'deal for anyone looking to do a SAS conversion