"PATROLUX" build up

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: "PATROLUX" build up

Postby Swinder on Wed, 25 Mar 2015 10:26 +0000

Looking Sexy mate!
Swinder

Postby Web-eng on Wed, 25 Mar 2015 1:57 +0000

Diezel45 wrote:This thing is seriously awesome. I always thought it would probably be cheaper to just put a hilux body on a patrol chassis rather then doing a SAS.

Not entirely sure that it would be cheaper mate. If I already had a 4WD Hilux I'd just do the SAS conversion. I think it would be cheaper and it would be a lot less work. One of the main reasons I wanted the Patrol chassis is because the engine I'm fitting is too old for the Hilux emission controls. As the 99 Patrol chassis is the same year as my engine so it can be fitted legally. I also wanted to run 4.6 ratio diffs and these are standard in the 2.8 turbo diesel Patrol, the model I'm using.

Don't get me wrong. The Hilux body on the Patrol chassis will make a great vehicle but there is a lot of work involved to pair them together. Things that wouldn't be an issue if just doing an SAS conversion on a Hilux.
The Patrol wheel base is shorter than the Hilux so the chassis has to be extended. This means fuel and brake line mods. The Patrol carries the spare wheel on the back door and the fuel tank under behind the back axle so unless you plan to carry the spare in the tray, the fuel tank needs to go and a spare wheel cross member needs to be fitted. You'll also need a custom fuel tank to replace the Patrol one that was removed.
The Patrol steering box is up the front of the chassis so the Hilux steering shaft needs to be modified to connect up to the steering box. You'll also need custom power steering lines.
The chassis rails are in the way of the radiator so a custom radiator will be needed.
Unless you plan on running the Patrol gearbox too, you'll need a custom hand brake set up and possibly lengthened/shortened tail shafts.
The Patrol diffs are heaps wider than the Hilux so you'll probably need some shallow offset wheels and will still need a set of big bolt on flares like the ones from Monster Rides. SR5 flares will not be wide enough.
There is heaps more little bits and pieces but you get the idea. A SAS conversion saves all of this work!

I definitely saved some money doing what I did as I picked up both the Patrol and the 2WD Hilux pretty cheap I also sold the Patrol body and engine meaning the rolling chassis didn't cost me much.
If you are starting with a 4WD Hilux then you have a vehicle already worth, $20000 - $30000. To scrap the chassis and fit the body to a Patrol chassis is going to cost you a heap and as mentioned above, there is a lot involved.

If you're dead keen on the Patrol chassis then buy a cheap 2WD Hilux for the body. They are basically identical to the 4WD body.
If you are not in desperate need of the Patrol chassis then just do a SAS conversion.

If after all that you are still keen, I'm happy to answer any questions you have when the time comes to do your conversion!
Last edited by Web-eng on Thu, 26 Mar 2015 7:17 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
99 Twin Turbo Hilux build up
PATROLUX build up - 05 cab on GU Patrol chassis LSA engine swap
Web-eng

Postby TRDLuxxy on Wed, 25 Mar 2015 7:09 +0000

Some good points mentioned however the limitations of a solid axle swap on the n70 chassis aren't worth the effort imo.

70 series cruiser chassis is less than an inch shorter than the hilux.
TRDLuxxy

Postby knight on Wed, 25 Mar 2015 7:13 +0000

well said mate. heaps of good info
2012 Hilux Extra cab, 1996 Aussie Swag Camper.
knight

Postby Web-eng on Thu, 26 Mar 2015 6:05 +0000

TRDLuxxy wrote:Some good points mentioned however the limitations of a solid axle swap on the n70 chassis aren't worth the effort imo.

You might be right mate. To be honest, I've never really taken much notice of the Hilux chassis as I never intended using it and the one I got with the cab I'm using is a 2WD chassis. I know that there are a few getting about with a full SAS conversion though. How successful or not they are, I could't say.

TRDLuxxy wrote:70 series cruiser chassis is less than an inch shorter than the hilux.

Yes but an inch too short is an inch too short. I actually made my wheel base about an inch longer than that of the Hilux so I could move the front axle forward a little to clear some 34" tyres. The chassis extension is the same amount of work regardless of it being an inch or a foot. Makes no difference.
If a tray was going to be used instead of a ute tub, you'd probably get away with it.

I considered the Cruiser chassis as well as the Patrol before starting my conversion but the Cruiser chassis presents issues of it's own.
The rear diff is offset meaning either a "diff cut and shut" or complete diff swap would be needed unless the Cruiser gearbox was to be retained. Also, as far as I know, all factory Land Cruiser diffs are 4.1 ratio meaning I'd have had to change the diff gears for an after market set to get the 4.6 ratio I was after to run the larger tyres.
These were the two reasons I chose the Patrol chassis over the Cruiser.
Web-eng

Postby Diezel45 on Thu, 26 Mar 2015 11:42 +0000

Thats what the plan will be. Will sell the 4x4 hilux, buy a patrol rolling chassis and a 2wd lux and do it that way.

Wouldnt waste a good hilux 4x4. Thanks mate
All the gear, With no idea

My Build - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=18831&hilit=allrounder
Diezel45

Postby Web-eng on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 3:34 +0000

Ahh, it's been a long time since my last post on this. I'd like to say that it's because I've been so busy working it that I haven't had a chance to post anything but unfortunately that's not the case.....
I've done bugger all actually as I just haven't had the time.
Since the last post about all I've managed to do is to fit a new adjustable length steering arm which I needed due to having to space the steering box out 25mm and knock together a 92 litre stainless fuel tank - yet to be finish welded.

The tank will be mounted in the same location as the standard Hilux tank but will sit up flush with the bottom of the chassis rails to help prevent damage unlike many after market tanks which hang down well past the chassis rails.
Stainless tanks are prone to fatigue cracking so I'm going to mount it on rubber mounts (much like engine mounts) to avoid the tank having to flex with the chassis. This should avoid any fatigue cracking issues.
I machined a flange fitting for the top to fit the original Hilux fuel pump and sender unit into and this will pump into a 3 litre surge tank which will feed a Bosch 044 high volume fuel pump.

When as this is all finished and fitted I can get the tub bolted back in place and then get back to the engine wiring and plumbing. Slow progress I know.....

Last edited by Web-eng on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 11:04 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Web-eng

Postby Web-eng on Wed, 12 Aug 2015 9:41 +0000

Once again, a long time since my last post but at least I've made some good progress over the past couple of days.
I've got two new tailshafts arriving hopefully today and just have to weld some brackets on for the centre bearing.
Fuel tank and all of the mounts are complete and I'll fit the tank permanently as soon as I've done the tailshaft centre bearing mount.

As the tank is stainless, I've mounted it on rubber mounts (leaf spring bushes) to avoid any cracking due to flexing and fatigue. The front mount bracket can be see below as well as a surge tank and high volume fuel pump.

I've finished the exhaust too all welded up using 3" tube and mandrel bends.

I've also got some bits together for the tailshaft mounted disc brake hand brake which will be fitted to the back of the transfer case.
I'll post some more pictures of this once I finish machining the mounts.

Then it's just about ready for the tub to be refitted which only leaves the Monster Rides flares to fit and finish off the engine stuff. Wiring, piping, radiator, intercooler, etc.
Getting close now!!!
Last edited by Web-eng on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 11:07 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
Web-eng

Postby Sinan on Wed, 12 Aug 2015 1:18 +0000

It's really starting to look good mate. You have definately shown people what is possible with time and the rite mind.
cheers
Simon
Sinan

Postby EDS-SR5 on Sat, 15 Aug 2015 4:01 +0000

Mate this build is awesome. Can not wait to see the end result. Good luck with everything. Can't wait to hear that 2jz spool up.
Don't worry, my dad's a tv repair man, he's got the ultimate set of tools
EDS-SR5

Postby sbc_lux on Tue, 18 Aug 2015 4:18 +0000

Love your work mate, definitely an ambitious project and taking the best bits of Toyota and Nissan. So you guys have got some crazy certification rules over there huh. You're not allowed to fit a (slightly) older engine to a newer chassis? And I thought NZ regulations were punitive...
sbc_lux

Postby Web-eng on Tue, 18 Aug 2015 4:36 +0000

sbc_lux wrote:So you guys have got some crazy certification rules over there huh. You're not allowed to fit a (slightly) older engine to a newer chassis? And I thought NZ regulations were punitive...

That's correct. The emission controls for the newer Hilux are tighter than they were for the 2JZ engine so the conversion is not allowed on that basis. As the Patrol chassis is about the same year as the 2JZ engine, it is allowed. Lucky for me!!!
Web-eng

Postby Web-eng on Thu, 20 Aug 2015 4:44 +0000

A bit more progress today. Finished making the bits for my tailshaft mounted disc brake hand brake. Seems like it will do the job!

Last edited by Web-eng on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 11:07 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Web-eng

Postby Web-eng on Fri, 21 Aug 2015 5:11 +0000

Got the tub back on it today! Finally starting to look like it should 8-)

Last edited by Web-eng on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 11:08 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Web-eng

Postby TOYZX on Fri, 21 Aug 2015 5:37 +0000

Some people have all the fun! Awesome job mate!
TOYZX

Postby Web-eng on Thu, 27 Aug 2015 9:46 +0000

The first of the "Monster Rides" flares goes on. Just covers the tyres ;)
Not sure yet if I'll paint them black or colour match them to the white??? Opinions?

Also, with the tub mounted back on the chassis I've decided that the spare wheel is hanging down way too low.

I've got plenty of space above the cross member though so I've decided to cut the first one out (the one in the picture below) and fit a new one which lifts the spare up about 130mm.
Last edited by Web-eng on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 11:10 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
Web-eng

Postby alexisdmtr on Thu, 27 Aug 2015 11:49 +0000

Definitely white for the flares.If you go black on white you will lose any wider stance you getting out of them imo.
alexisdmtr

Postby piggo on Thu, 27 Aug 2015 8:25 +0000

Yep go White :)
piggo

Postby SRD4D on Sun, 27 Sep 2015 5:19 +0000

Hows this build coming along Mate..
Im thinking of doing the same thing...save sasing mine and 4 linking the rear...
not sure on the engine yet but id like deisel..
Im the same I like projects and can do all the work my self..
Facebook ..........The Australian toyota hilux 4WD group https://www.facebook.com/groups/296534054022895/
SRD4D

Postby john253a on Sun, 27 Sep 2015 5:31 +0000

Loving the build looks the goods
farting is alot like jxxxxxg off. both provide instant gratification, but neither is a long term solution to the actual problem......................
john253a

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups