fractured rangas build, the lemon chronicals

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: fractured rangas build, camper trailer mods

Postby fracturedranga on Mon, 04 Apr 2016 7:20 +0000

Tig welded it all so far except for the hinge arm to the angle that's stick welded
fracturedranga

Postby fracturedranga on Wed, 06 Apr 2016 5:31 +0000

Had a bit of a shit couple of days, went to get the crank seal done yesterday, got the wrong part from Toyota. None available locally so I hired a car to get home. Went back in today, got the seal done then had a shit of a time with the tune. Eventually got it making boost but it's still running a bit warm, ( got 160hp at the wheels and hits 19psi)the unichip advisor bloke pretty much just put it in the to hard basket and gave up. and to top it off I noticed the bloody left side outer cv boot has a hole in it and has flung grease everywhere. I taped it up with self amalgamating tape and drove home, tomorrow I'll pick up a boot kit and fix that shit. Also my turbo makes a weird squeal when it gets up around 18psi, sound like when you let air out of a balloon and make it squeal. So it'll probably need to come back off to check it out.

Anyone want to buy a hilux? :lol:
fracturedranga

Postby TOYZX on Wed, 06 Apr 2016 5:45 +0000

Sure it doesnt just have a small leak somewhere? Only leaking under max boost? Front or rear main seal? Done a coupe of rears on mine cos i didn't use a genuine one the first time. It lasted about 3 months and started leaking again.
TOYZX

Postby fracturedranga on Wed, 06 Apr 2016 5:47 +0000

We double checked all the clamps, the turbo was loose between the front wheel and rear housing the other day I tightened it up but I don't think it's sealing properly. It sounds like it coming from the turbo but it's hard to pinpoint
fracturedranga

Postby fracturedranga on Sun, 10 Apr 2016 1:18 +0000

made some more progress on the trailer, its all bolted together hubs and brakes on and back on its wheels. i also welded on the hitch and safety chains

i also mounted my solar panel to the canopy of my hilux, still need to wire it up to the redarc, all the cable is in i just need to wire up the changeover relay

the hilux is in pieces in the shed atm, the cv is sitting on the bench with the new boots on waiting for monday when i can get into toyota and borrow the tool to tighten the clamps
fracturedranga

Postby fracturedranga on Sun, 10 Apr 2016 1:20 +0000

TOYZX wrote:Sure it doesnt just have a small leak somewhere? Only leaking under max boost? Front or rear main seal? Done a coupe of rears on mine cos i didn't use a genuine one the first time. It lasted about 3 months and started leaking again.

it was the front crank seal toyzx i replaced it with a genuine toyota seal
fracturedranga

Postby fracturedranga on Sun, 17 Apr 2016 3:06 +0000

well my internet finally ticked over to a new month so i can post up pics again,
got the hilux back together, took the whole of 20min to get the cv back in and everything bolted up.

Also got a heap done on the trailer
put the cage on and made up a frame for a drop down table
knocked together some ramps, hopefully theyll hold up i havent tried them yet
painted the table frame then using some decking board to fill it
im going to get some tin folded up to box in the bottom as a storage box

boxed out the other side to mount my jerry can holder

tommorrow ill pick up a toolbox for the drawbar and some electricary to wire it all up :D
i also mounted some brackets to attach my awning
getting close to done now
fracturedranga

Postby TOYZX on Sun, 17 Apr 2016 3:33 +0000

Nice work mate.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby fracturedranga on Wed, 20 Apr 2016 5:06 +0000

got some more done on the trailer, i also wired up my solar and got a start on the brake controller

anyway more pics
jerry can holder, toolbox and winch on

gas bottle holder on

my shoddy decking work (timber sucks balls)

nearly done

hooked it up to the car and trialled the ramps and winch, drill ran it up no worries

got the tent on with the help of my neighbour tonight

tommorrow ill wire up the trailer brakes and lights. sort out power for the tent and paint it so itll be ready to go for a trail run this weekend :D
fracturedranga

Postby Jacko9 on Wed, 20 Apr 2016 6:50 +0000

You've done well mate, a real credit to you. I like it, the whole setup you run is bloody nice.
Jacko9

Postby fracturedranga on Wed, 20 Apr 2016 8:18 +0000

Cheers gives me something to do during the day so I don't go mad
fracturedranga

Postby Caleebra on Wed, 20 Apr 2016 8:38 +0000

Wow! Great trailer build! Really like the idea!
Would love to do the same, but i aint qualified to do this kind of stuff :lol:

Either way, good pat on the shoulder mate! You deserve it! :)
- Arne from Norway here, glad to chat with you -

Instagram: @arnlux_adv
Facebook: - Arn's Lux Adventure -
:D
Caleebra

Postby fracturedranga on Wed, 20 Apr 2016 8:59 +0000

Thanks,
I don't have any relevant qualifications either lol just have a crack and you'll surprise yourself. I'm self taught for most things apart from a bit of stick welding my old man taught me as a kid. And in any case a grinder and some flapper disks can make any weld look good :D
fracturedranga

Postby martynvella on Thu, 21 Apr 2016 5:30 +0000

One thing id suggest for an offroad trailer, close up the front of the draw bar and put a bi directional skid under it. First thing you will need to do if you get bogged is drop the trailer off, then you will either have to drag it through the bog you were just in with a strap, or come round behind it and drag it out backwards, and the jockey wheel would just get ripped off so a skid under the front of the draw bar saves a lot of damage.
martynvella

Postby Richolux150 on Thu, 21 Apr 2016 6:26 +0000

Sweet work mate..... ;) ;) ;)
Cheers Richo
If cat turds were Gold nuggets, I'd be the richest bloke on the block... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Richolux150

Postby fracturedranga on Thu, 21 Apr 2016 9:05 +0000

martynvella wrote:One thing id suggest for an offroad trailer, close up the front of the draw bar and put a bi directional skid under it. First thing you will need to do if you get bogged is drop the trailer off, then you will either have to drag it through the bog you were just in with a strap, or come round behind it and drag it out backwards, and the jockey wheel would just get ripped off so a skid under the front of the draw bar saves a lot of damage.

Good idea Marty I'll have a think about it and see what I can come up with, I don't really plan on doing much hard core 4wding with the trailer on but I have a habit of getting into trouble so it wouldn't be a bad idea
fracturedranga

Postby kash.man on Sun, 24 Apr 2016 5:14 +0000

I have heard of using a shovel under the hitch works well when you need to recover your trailer, I'd imagine it would work like a ski and stop it digging in
kash.man

Postby fracturedranga on Thu, 28 Apr 2016 11:37 +0000

got a heap more done on the trailer
the ally box was a bit flimsy with the generator in it so i sikaflex and screwed in some 17mm plyboard
then cut out and put in some foam tiles i had lying around, then fabbed up some angle brackets to hold the battery box down
the missus painted the deck while i was wiring shit up, its left over jotacote from the shed floor

i put the awning off the hilux on the side and ordered a 2x2.5m awning and awning tent for the ute so we can use it as a change/storage room

went into the local steel shop and got some checker plate folded up for the trim bits
cover for my switch panel also double as a shelf for charging phones/cameras
a storage box for whatever

the switch box, its got a master switch, 2 ciggy sockets and a dual usb charger. i put in a spare switch incase i decide to put lights on it. at the moment im just going to use a couple of led strip lights ive already got

i also got a decent jockey wheel

i picked up some caps while getting the ally folded, capped all the open rhs

all hooked up ready for rego

today i dropped round a local engineering mob to see about getting the atm increased to 1250kg. after a chat we decided itd be easier to cancel the current rego and start again from scratch. so i dropped into qld transport, cancelled the old rego and surrended the plate and got a new vin and plate. tommorrow the engineer will sign it all off and its good for new rego.

then itll just need another coat of paint and its good to go. the tare weight came in at 540kg, with the tent and awning on and battery in but otherwise unloaded
fracturedranga

Postby fish351 on Fri, 06 May 2016 8:04 +0000

Mate I've read your thread from the beginning and I've gotta say I'm now inspired.
I'm looking at building a new tray and the stuff you said (including the lessons learnt) will be valuable.
I'll try to get a build thread going as a way to document the process.
Keep up the good work!

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
fish351

Postby fracturedranga on Fri, 06 May 2016 8:26 +0000

Cheers mate,
I got the trailer registered, it was a lot less painful and cheaper than I was expecting. So it's all done now just need to clean up the huge mess I've got in the shed. Then I'll be sorting out a watertank for the Ute and fixing up a few niggling problems
fracturedranga

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups