fractured rangas build, the lemon chronicals

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: fractured rangas build, camper trailer mods

Postby pct on Mon, 23 May 2016 3:11 +0000

Nice build, I guess you're getting close to heading up the cape. Where did you end up mounting the Uniden 8010, ive seen similar sized GME's go in the ash tray

Cheers
pct

Postby fracturedranga on Tue, 24 May 2016 6:22 +0000

It's in the ash tray hole with Velcro

Smashed a roo last night and bent the cast iron hub upright, managed to dodge them for hours then one mongrel decided to double back and I cleaned it up, bust the hub, flare and dented the passenger seal. Tomorrow I'll swap out the hub.
I had to drive 70kms with it towing out badly to get to town and scrubbed out my muddies pretty badly to top it off
I'll post some pics next week when I get back home
fracturedranga

Postby Jesse98 on Wed, 01 Jun 2016 9:08 +0000

hey mate were you passing through dubbo the other day?
CHECK OUT MY BUILD viewtopic.php?f=50&t=26344
Jesse98

Postby fracturedranga on Wed, 01 Jun 2016 3:26 +0000

Yeah passed though on my way home
fracturedranga

Postby Jesse98 on Wed, 01 Jun 2016 4:06 +0000

Thought i recognised the ute from somewhere. Neat lookin setup
CHECK OUT MY BUILD viewtopic.php?f=50&t=26344
Jesse98

Postby bradles87 on Wed, 08 Jun 2016 7:03 +0000

Hey mate just got a couple of questions for if ya don't mind! How do you find the auto with the 4.11 diff gears? And what made you pick that ratio over the 4.56? Reason I ask is my manual lux has 4.1s and elockers but I am considering transferring everything over to an automatic one for family reasons but everything I've read seems to have the auto d4d lux paired with the 4.56 ratio to run 33s and up. Thanks in advance. Killer build too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bradles87

Postby fracturedranga on Wed, 08 Jun 2016 8:07 +0000

I do alot of long highway kays so i figured 4.11s would drop the rpm at bit at 100ks. Turns out with the 33inch nittos and 4.11s im exactly the same as stock so my speedo is spot on without having to get an adapter. Low range is still low enough for everything ive done so far
fracturedranga

Postby bradles87 on Thu, 09 Jun 2016 5:47 +0000

Cheers mate much appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bradles87

Postby fracturedranga on Fri, 10 Jun 2016 2:50 +0000

righto im probably due a bit of an update so here goes

last week i drove down to adelaide to see the family and managed to nail a massive roo 75ks east of broken hill. somehow managed to get it just with the passanger wheel which bent the hub spigot. limped into broken hill to find out there was no chance of getting spares. so me and the mechanic id pulled in at eyed in the wheel alignment by adjusting the steering tie rod, pumped the front tyres way up and drove on through to adelaide.
picked up a spare the next day and me and the old man had it swapped over in less than an hr and a half.

unfortunately all the pics are on my old phone which died on the way back

i got home to find my water tank and awning had finally arrived so this week ive been smashing it all in to get ready to leave for the cape next week

first up was the water tank, its a 75L slimline ebay job. came with the pump and mounting hardware
i couldnt find one the exact size i wanted and the custom job i got quoted was way to dear so i ended up chopping down my draw to get it to fit. as it was it took a whole bloody day to get it mounted up

next up was plumbing it in, dalby being dalby no where had anything useful so i had to make it up as i went, ended up using air compressor hose for the pressure line as it was all i could get that would fit
taps are, fill point, breather and outlet tap

i wired it into my existing switch panel with an inline fuse, it works really well and fills up with the tap in 5min or so

next up was the draw it used to run on slides but they didnt like the bull dust so i welded up an ally sleeve to slide into and shortened it up to fit with the tank, its held up with bolts and sicaflex

i also ordered a new awning and awning tent to go on the car as i put the one that was on it on the trailer, 4wd superstore dropped the ball and have no stock of the tent part until next month apparently (i ordered in april) so i got that refunded and will just use tarps like last year

i also replaced the slides on my drop slide as they to died from dust, got heaps heavier duty ones so hopefully theyll hold up.

tommorrow i have to repair the flare that the roo broke and check out the front end as it still pulls to the left a bit even after a wheel alignment, im thinking the lower control arm ball joint mount might be bent up a bit. ill have a look tomorrow and go from there
fracturedranga

Postby TOYZX on Fri, 10 Jun 2016 3:26 +0000

Nice work mate.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby gold member on Sat, 11 Jun 2016 3:25 +0000

So many hours of work in this rig with great results, it seems your always tinkering, refining and improving, awesome work, how does the new tank mounted water pump feed to? And how does it perform? In the process of installing a 40l tank in mine next break and am currently looking at pump options for it.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gold member

Postby fracturedranga on Sat, 11 Jun 2016 4:11 +0000

Cheers, its been alotof work but worth it
Ive just run it to tap under the tray. It runs 4.8litres a minute at 35psi. Plently for what i need. It came already mounted to the tank with a weighted picked line.
fracturedranga

Postby The.Durry on Sat, 11 Jun 2016 5:00 +0000

Gotten so many ideas from this build! Keep up the great work mate.
The.Durry

Postby NZMarkb on Tue, 06 Dec 2016 10:00 +0000

Hey ranga hows that trailer going
Have you got ant action shots of it yet? ;)
If your not prepared to stand behind our Troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fracturedranga on Tue, 06 Dec 2016 3:35 +0000

hey guys been a while between updates so here goes,

first up my cape trip turned out to be a bust, went to weipa the lux decided to die half way up, after a few minutes of poking around realised my prefilter was completely blocked with red dust. so pulled it off and was all good. then on to pennefather river, got there late and went hunting on the quad for my mates that were already there.Found then and went back for the car got lost on the way back and took the senic route that took 2 hrs lol, not that fun at 9pm with nothing but a beer and the quad headlights. took the back track in and had no dramas till the last turn onto the beach where the trailer pushed me straight on in the soft sand and i didnt make the dogleg turn. couldnt get the trailer to reverse back up the hill with out bogging down and jackknifing so ended up disconnecting it and dragging back round with the lux before hooking it up and getting out.

pennefather beach at the river mouth is an awesome campspot. we stayed there a few days

i hate sand though and it was properly soft. Also got a bad infection while i was there in a sensitive place you really dont want to get infection in. so we packed up and went back to weipa to the hospital.

spent 2 days in hospital then got discharged. we headed off to the Laura Rodeo and races as my missus family goes every year. Proposed to the missus at the rodeo saturday night, she said yes luckily cos it was in the middle of the rodeo grounds infront of everyone lol.

after the races we headed into lakefield nation park our plan was to camp there for a week or so then head home

we were at mickey finn camp site it was properly awesome, the rangers dropped by on the second day for a chat (we had permits) but that was the only other people we saw. caught a few crap fish and a turtle but mostly just relaxed. seen a heap of crocks as well.

well my infection decided to try and kill me again and we had to leave as i was feverish, drove back to mareeba hospital were i spend 2 weeks on iv antibiotics, the missus ended up flying home from cairns to get back to work and i drove home a week later.

so not much of a holiday which sucked big time. had no real dramas with any of the gear except for the ally box on the trailer which didnt like the corrogations and warped and split welds, also the fridge started to play funny buggers and not run on dc, cut off the ciggy socket and wired it into a spare anderson plug i had which sorted it out,

the rooftop tent was awesome and the whole setup worked really well. the trailer itself held together well and apart from being sandblasted on the leading edges and the awning brackets bending a bit had no issues at all
fracturedranga

Postby fracturedranga on Tue, 06 Dec 2016 3:53 +0000

that was back in june since then havent done a whole lot to the lux, however last week went to service it and noitced my turbo compressor housing was slightly loose again. had a look with my inspection camera and noticed on of the bolts that hold the housing to the turbo body was gone, of course it was the one between the turbo and the block and as much as i sweared couldnt get a new one in. so off with the turbo, first time if pulled one off a lux and what a shit of a job it is. after fighting with the dump bolts i realised there was no way i could get the turbo out without removing the exhaust manifold, so that come off to.
pulled the compressor housing off on the bench and found this
there was also a slight lip on the edges of the turbo wheel. so rather than putting it back on i snet it back to townsville to get checked out.
still waiting to hear back about it

also noticed my strut stem was splitting again, this is the forth one to go
rang matt from monster rides and we cant work out why they keep failing, so he decided to send me a replacement set of whatever i wanted, ended up getting dobinsons Mrr gear with progressive springs. alll credit to Matt and monster rides his customer service really is exceptional and he goes well out of his way to fix any dramas

so atm im waiting for the turbo to come back which should hopefullly be late this week or early next week also set the front struts off with my neighbour who owns a local mechanic to get the front struts assembled.

to fill in the time i also knocked together a folding gun rack for my quad

also my new water tank pump has packed it in so when it cools down a bit ill get it out and see what the hells going on with it
fracturedranga

Postby TOYZX on Tue, 06 Dec 2016 4:07 +0000

Nice mate! I could think of worse places to set up camp! Congrats on the engagement mate! How many ks are ya getting out of them shocks b4 they fail? I usually only see that when the lower bush is worn and let go for too long. What's causing the turbo to fail man?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby NZMarkb on Wed, 07 Dec 2016 1:46 +0000

Congratulations on your proposal
Sorry about the health cutting into your trip
But Love your trailer setup :mrgreen:
I've been thinking about putting a rooftop tent on my bike trailer
You may have convinced me
If your not prepared to stand behind our Troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fracturedranga on Sat, 10 Dec 2016 5:12 +0000

Started swapping out my suspension today got the old struts out and one of the new ones in, the last mob to change them must have rattle the stem bolt through cos its stuffed now ill have to wait till monday to get some new onesImage

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
fracturedranga

Postby fracturedranga on Thu, 15 Dec 2016 9:51 +0000

Got my new strut bolts yesterday arvo so finished putting my front struts in then installed the rears. Not to hard of a jobImage
Ita currently only set to 2 inches of lift so once ive got my turbo back on ill let it settle and see how it goes then wind it up if i have to

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
fracturedranga

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups