Jaydo's SR Dual Cab - Winch Control Box

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Jaydo's SR Dual Cab - Almost Finished

Postby rds_929 on Tue, 28 Jul 2015 3:44 +0000

legend thanks heaps man i guess i mas aswell chuck them in for the extra $100 if it's going make things better but matt was saying maybe only %50 of people need them
rds_929

Postby jaydo on Tue, 28 Jul 2015 3:50 +0000

Yeah that's true. He told me the same. Turns out I needed them. You'll know straight away though. For 100 bucks after you have already forked out a decent grand or two, 100 didn't seem like much haha
jaydo

Re: Jaydo's SR Dual Cab - Plasti Dip Badges

Postby jaydo on Tue, 04 Aug 2015 8:50 +0000

Plasti dipped my badges just for a bit of fun. Already hit them with the high pressure water and it never took the paint off.

jaydo

Janowen Weekend with Mudratt

Postby jaydo on Tue, 04 Aug 2015 8:57 +0000

Headed out again with the Mudratt Inc crew on the weekend. Had a massive meet up down at Janowen 4x4 park. We had 24 cars there on the saturday. Most stayed and camped the night but a few went home. Was a great weekend. Many different vehicles and driver experiences there. Awesome campfire and heaps of great stories. If anyone is interested you can find their FB page by searching Mudratt Incorporated or searching mudratt4x4 on instagram. There are heaps of great photos. Its good having a professional photographer there!

Here are just some of the group and the hilux :)

jaydo

Postby apSlain on Tue, 04 Aug 2015 12:37 +0000

Big fan of the build, jaydo. Most of what you've done mirrors what I have envisioned for the 'Lux I purchased earlier this year. I'm just waiting for funds to allow that to happen :)

I had a few questions for you if you have the time.
  1. How's the grille? The clips on mine were snapped by the previous owner and it's holding on with cable ties. I'm liking the look of the one you've got but I might add the badge. Did it fit fine on the '08, and where was it sourced? I've heard that there are few compatibility issues between SR/SR5 models and between earlier models and facelift models.
  2. Do you experience any scrubbing with your lift/tyre/wheel combination when the car is in action, esp. when the lift is wound down to 2" (if you've brought it off-road when the car was sitting at 2")? The +7 offset with the flares look perfect but I'd most likely be going at +20 offset. Do you know what size flare you went with?
Great build, and great lookin' car mate :D
Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

Postby jaydo on Tue, 04 Aug 2015 2:27 +0000

apSlain wrote:Big fan of the build, jaydo. Most of what you've done mirrors what I have envisioned for the 'Lux I purchased earlier this year. I'm just waiting for funds to allow that to happen :)

I had a few questions for you if you have the time.
  1. How's the grille? The clips on mine were snapped by the previous owner and it's holding on with cable ties. I'm liking the look of the one you've got but I might add the badge. Did it fit fine on the '08, and where was it sourced? I've heard that there are few compatibility issues between SR/SR5 models and between earlier models and facelift models.
  2. Do you experience any scrubbing with your lift/tyre/wheel combination when the car is in action, esp. when the lift is wound down to 2" (if you've brought it off-road when the car was sitting at 2")? The +7 offset with the flares look perfect but I'd most likely be going at +20 offset. Do you know what size flare you went with?
Great build, and great lookin' car mate :D

Hey thanks mate, I'd like to say i'm almost finished. I have a tonneau getting put on tomorrow and then the only other things I will add is a rear bar and maybe if funds allow a locker somewhere in the future!

1. The grill:
The grille fitment was actually pretty rubbish to be honest. I couldn't get it to fit the the factory mounts that were there. I bought the headlights at the same time as I was fitting the grille, so what I did was drill a hole down the side of the light mount and made my own set up with a thing bolt and some washers.
I am hoping to put a badge on there as well - I was always hoping to get one of the FJ Toyota badges and put it on the front. I just haven't had the chance to get my hands on one just yet!

2. Lift/suspension:
I'd hit the offroad a couple times while it was still at 2". I didn't notice any scrubbing on the front end even on full lock. The only trouble I ever had with it was my swaybar rubbing on the coilovers early on in the build. All that took was a swaybar relocator though and it fixed that problem up. Even at full lock under pressure (I try to avoid that because of the CV's but sometimes can't be helped) I haven't noticed and rubbing.

3. Flares:
I couldn't tell you about the flares. I would have to measure them. They are just factory SR5 ones though. I bought them second hand off another fella who was putting jungle flares on his. They seem to sit pretty well with the tyres though and i'm not really in any rush to change them. It all looks pretty legal so it keeps unwanted attention away! haha
jaydo

Postby apSlain on Tue, 04 Aug 2015 4:26 +0000

jaydo wrote:Hey thanks mate, I'd like to say i'm almost finished. I have a tonneau getting put on tomorrow and then the only other things I will add is a rear bar and maybe if funds allow a locker somewhere in the future!

A Rear Locker would really round out the vehicle's capabilities but, as you say, funds :(

jaydo wrote:1. The grill:
The grille fitment was actually pretty rubbish to be honest. I couldn't get it to fit the the factory mounts that were there. I bought the headlights at the same time as I was fitting the grille, so what I did was drill a hole down the side of the light mount and made my own set up with a thing bolt and some washers.
I am hoping to put a badge on there as well - I was always hoping to get one of the FJ Toyota badges and put it on the front. I just haven't had the chance to get my hands on one just yet!

That's too bad - just had a re-read on your previous post regarding the grille fitment and quality. I definitely need to do a grille replacement (not urgent though) so I'll keep looking to see what options are available. If not, I've got a template here to go off :lol:

jaydo wrote:2. Lift/suspension:
I'd hit the offroad a couple times while it was still at 2". I didn't notice any scrubbing on the front end even on full lock. The only trouble I ever had with it was my swaybar rubbing on the coilovers early on in the build. All that took was a swaybar relocator though and it fixed that problem up. Even at full lock under pressure (I try to avoid that because of the CV's but sometimes can't be helped) I haven't noticed and rubbing.

Awesome to hear. I'm upgrading the UCAs at the same time so I'm hoping that'll eliminate the need for the swaybar relocator but at least there's a solution if it doesn't go to plan.

jaydo wrote:3. Flares:
I couldn't tell you about the flares. I would have to measure them. They are just factory SR5 ones though. I bought them second hand off another fella who was putting jungle flares on his. They seem to sit pretty well with the tyres though and i'm not really in any rush to change them. It all looks pretty legal so it keeps unwanted attention away! haha

No need to measure them mate, knowing they're factory is enough :lol: I think the offset will push me towards a larger flare from Utemart.

Thanks for clarifying things; keen to see how build rounds out and what other modifications you consider.
Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

Re: Janowen Weekend with Mudratt

Postby rds_929 on Tue, 04 Aug 2015 4:41 +0000

jaydo wrote:Headed out again with the Mudratt Inc crew on the weekend. Had a massive meet up down at Janowen 4x4 park. We had 24 cars there on the saturday. Most stayed and camped the night but a few went home. Was a great weekend. Many different vehicles and driver experiences there. Awesome campfire and heaps of great stories. If anyone is interested you can find their FB page by searching Mudratt Incorporated or searching mudratt4x4 on instagram. There are heaps of great photos. Its good having a professional photographer there!

Here are just some of the group and the hilux :)

looks awsome man can't wait to get out for a camp , so jealous of your weather looks perfect sunshine with mud melbourne's weather sucks a fat one but did get to the snow on the week end for a wheel
rds_929

Postby Jacko9 on Tue, 04 Aug 2015 5:49 +0000

Hey Mate,

Nice looking rig, it isn't overdone or anything, I enjoyed the read, thanks for posting all this up.

Cheers,
Jackson.
Jacko9

Postby Steveyb on Tue, 04 Aug 2015 6:18 +0000

It looks mint on the road too! Speaking of which did you hear someone "oi" you on beaudesert rd last thursday
NLC
Steveyb

Postby jaydo on Wed, 05 Aug 2015 8:15 +0000

No worries apSlain, glad I could help.

Thanks, Jacko9,

Yeah rds_929, we've had pretty awesome weather lately. It was great weather for the weekend. It was really cold at night though. Great around the fire though!!

Nah, Steveyb, I never heard you. If I did I can't remember it now haha. Will have to organize a weekend out sometime mate.
jaydo

Postby Steveyb on Wed, 05 Aug 2015 3:22 +0000

Yeah definitely I'm up for that, also planing a few camping trips over straddie (see my family and convenient excuse to camp) when it warms up if ya keen
NLC
Steveyb

Postby jaydo on Thu, 06 Aug 2015 4:52 +0000

Yeah of course man. I'm doing Cape York in September-October but after that I'll be keen for it for sure. Always need more excuses to get away haha!
jaydo

Jaydo's SR Dual Cab - Custom Tonneau

Postby jaydo on Tue, 11 Aug 2015 7:56 +0000

At the end of last week I gave my car in to the guys at John Clough's Auto trim at Coopers Plains. They have done a job beyond my expectations in getting my custom tonneau made up and all for a really good price. They managed to get it cut around all of the bars in the back of my car and it all sits extremely tidy. They have also left an open ended zip cut out for when my fridge sits in the back of the car. The piece of material is separate but I can but it in and it sits very nice and hugs the top of the fridge so there is no flapping. Couldn't be any happier with the job they have done!

jaydo

Re: Jaydo's SR Dual Cab - Custom Tonneau

Postby rds_929 on Tue, 25 Aug 2015 5:13 +0000

hey man what are running in your dual battery set up a isolator or a proper battery managment system ?? did you install it yourself and how much did it cost ya ?? been out wheeling much ??
rds_929

Postby 410sierra on Tue, 25 Aug 2015 11:11 +0000

Cloughy does nice work doesnt he, saw yours in there getting done when i picked up my canopy.
410sierra

Postby jaydo on Thu, 27 Aug 2015 8:29 +0000

rds_929 wrote:hey man what are running in your dual battery set up a isolator or a proper battery managment system ?? did you install it yourself and how much did it cost ya ?? been out wheeling much ??

Hey mate, I got Ironman to do all the work for me. The did everything - Battery/Isolator/linkage/battery tray and everything else that comes with it for $1200. Can jump start off my secondary if I have to.

Nah mate, I've only been out once since that big meet up with the Mudratt Crew at Janowen. Went out to Glasshouse with a few other 05+ luxies. Didn't take any footage anything because we were only out for a half day. Just enough to taste the dirt again. Been saving pretty hard lately. We leave for Cape York in just over 3 weeks! Been saving pretty hard for that! Getting excited though!

410sierra wrote:Cloughy does nice work doesnt he, saw yours in there getting done when i picked up my canopy.

Yeah man. Apart from the suspension on my car, I reckon it would have to be the next best thing on it. He did an amazing job and kept it all so tidy
jaydo

Postby rds_929 on Thu, 27 Aug 2015 8:19 +0000

jaydo wrote:
rds_929 wrote:hey man what are running in your dual battery set up a isolator or a proper battery managment system ?? did you install it yourself and how much did it cost ya ?? been out wheeling much ??

Hey mate, I got Ironman to do all the work for me. The did everything - Battery/Isolator/linkage/battery tray and everything else that comes with it for $1200. Can jump start off my secondary if I have to.

Nah mate, I've only been out once since that big meet up with the Mudratt Crew at Janowen. Went out to Glasshouse with a few other 05+ luxies. Didn't take any footage anything because we were only out for a half day. Just enough to taste the dirt again. Been saving pretty hard lately. We leave for Cape York in just over 3 weeks! Been saving pretty hard for that! Getting excited though!

410sierra wrote:Cloughy does nice work doesnt he, saw yours in there getting done when i picked up my canopy.

Yeah man. Apart from the suspension on my car, I reckon it would have to be the next best thing on it. He did an amazing job and kept it all so tidy

cape york will be insane man make sure you get heaps of footage hopefully heading to moreton in november if the mrs leave gets approved do you reckon you could get away over there on the stock sr5 highway tyres or would be better to get some all terrians ??
rds_929

Postby jaydo on Fri, 28 Aug 2015 7:27 +0000

rds_929 wrote:cape york will be insane man make sure you get heaps of footage hopefully heading to moreton in november if the mrs leave gets approved do you reckon you could get away over there on the stock sr5 highway tyres or would be better to get some all terrians ??

Yeah mate, I'm pretty excited. Will do the standard heap of GoPro's on the car and try and get some good action. I was hoping to be able to buy a drone before we left up so I could take some sweet aerial shots, but have just run out of time and money. Didn't help that my dad (who is also coming) decided he was gonna move house this weekend, right before we left haha.

I personally haven't done too much of Moreton. I've only been over there once and it was nothing too hard. Beach driving isn't too bad I don't think, just air right down and you should be right! If you are going solo and are worried at all, just throw some maxtraxx/treads in and they'll get you out of trouble, but I reckon if you are aired down you shouldn't have any troubles :)
jaydo

Re: Jaydo's SR Dual Cab

Postby rds_929 on Fri, 28 Aug 2015 8:31 +0000

legend thanks heaps man so you reckon save the coin for the tyres and wheels and spend that money on a fridge dual battery set up and some maxxtrax would be the better option ??
rds_929

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups