Jaydo's SR Dual Cab - Winch Control Box

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Jaydo's SR Dual Cab

Postby jaydo on Sun, 30 Aug 2015 7:25 +0000

Well like I said, I've never done much driving over there, however I'd imagine like with most beach driving you can just let your tyres down and lock, stomp and steer haha. At least with some treds, if you are going by yourself you can get yourself out with them.

Dual battery and fridge have definitely changed my way of camping haha. Makes things so much easier. However, if you aren't sure, you can still run your fridge off one battery. I use to turn my fridge really cold about 30-60 mins before bed and then when I went to bed I'd turn it off. When I woke up the next morning it was the first thing I would turn back on and it would only warm up as much as 5-6 degrees C.
jaydo

Re: Jaydo's SR Dual Cab - Aircon Troubles?

Postby jaydo on Sun, 30 Aug 2015 9:43 +0000

My aircon has been stuck on outside air ever since I got it. I have pulled the dash apart to see why I couldn't move the switch. Can't seem to find anything jamming it, I looked closer and noticed there was a screw and cable running out the back right corner. I noticed there wasn't one on the left. Does anyone know if there is meant to be one or how to fix the lever?

-Edit-

Found the problem, got under there with a torch. Found out that a bit of soundproofing had fallen down off the firewall and was stopping the intake from closing.

I also climbed under the car and put some extended breathers on the back diff.
jaydo

Postby coopz100 on Sun, 13 Sep 2015 10:19 +0000

You Luxie look sick man I've got fit my flare before I can go any further with my build
coopz100

Postby jaydo on Mon, 14 Sep 2015 7:31 +0000

coopz100 wrote:You Luxie look sick man I've got fit my flare before I can go any further with my build

Sick as man, I'll be sure to check it out :)
jaydo

Jaydo's SR Dual Cab - Cape York and back

Postby jaydo on Thu, 08 Oct 2015 11:21 +0000

Haven't had anything to throw in the build thread because some family, friends and I have been up smashing out Cape York for the last couple of weeks. Got a few photos and snaps but nothing to add to the build thread just yet.

We left from caboolture and had my Hilux, Prado, and a pootrol head out with us. In the hilux clocked 6271kms as a round trip - and for all those wondering what broke - the hilux was the last car to go home.

The prado went home after the first 8-9 days of our 18 day trip. After doing Nolans the A/C went on the Prado. No dramas there. After spending 3 nights in Seisia the starter motor on the prado carked it. Still no dramas because we could push start the car. Unfortunately about 500m from the Cape York car park, the clutch went to the ground and stayed there. That was the end game for him.

The guy driving the pootrol a day after said that he wanted to go home because he had lost his side mirror and his canopy had fallen apart. I think he was just a bit home sick. It was all good though, I got a few more days out of him to do a few more tracks on the head back down south.

The hilux stayed away from the house for 17 out of the 18 days which was good so we had time to start the clean up.

Only problem with the hilux was the starter motor. Push started that bad boy since cairns, but that was the only thing that went wrong! UNBREAKABLE!

All cars did gunshot, but I will have to find the photos/videos from it.

jaydo

Re: Jaydo's SR Dual Cab After Cape Service

Postby jaydo on Sat, 10 Oct 2015 12:12 +0000

After doing the Cape, every filter has been changed. There were only minor damages which is good. Starter motor obviously got changed, and all the filters go changed as well. My swaybar relocator had lost one of the bolts and come loose and was bent so straightened that up and put it back in. Diff seal was leaking a little too so got that fixed as well.

Decided that while everything was pulled apart I'd ask my amazing mechanic to pull apart and do the EGR for me as well because it had never been done (to my knowledge of buying a second hand car). Man... it was horrendous. Blanking plate in!

10/2008 Hilux:

jaydo

Re: Jaydo's SR Dual Cab - EGR Clean

Postby fracturedranga on Sat, 10 Oct 2015 12:46 +0000

holy crap, thats a lot of crud! looks like you had an awesome trip, nice pics
fracturedranga

Postby bradles87 on Sat, 10 Oct 2015 8:46 +0000

That's pretty scary actually! Must clean mine out, asap
bradles87

Postby Steveyb on Sun, 11 Oct 2015 4:29 +0000

Far out! That is some crud! If you don't mind asking who is your mech and what did he charge for that? I've only got 65k on mine but thinking it'll need to be done one day.
Looked like an awesome trip, jealous as :mrgreen:
NLC
Steveyb

Postby jaydo on Sun, 11 Oct 2015 5:42 +0000

Steveyb, I go to Al at accelerate automotive. All the guys there are pretty awesome though. They are just off Beaudesert rd, just past Grenard rd if you were leaving from your house.

Not sure what the EGR alone was because he did a full service on my car after getting back from cape and he adjusted and checked over literally everything haha.
jaydo

Re: Jaydo's SR Dual Cab - Gauges?

Postby jaydo on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 11:10 +0000

Hey guys,

Just wondering what scan tools people are running? Is it worth forking out the money and buying a scanguage II or should I just get one of the cheaper models like what 4x4 supacentre sell? I'd use a few of the different digital read outs that both models offer, but after getting the different lights popping up after returning from the cape, I am pretty keen to get myself a scan tool of some sort and thought the OBII tools and computers looked like the way to go.

Any advice would be great!
jaydo

Re: Jaydo's SR Dual Cab - Gauge Help??

Postby fracturedranga on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 11:17 +0000

Ive got a real cheap eBay ob2 bluetooth scanner and use the torque app on my smartphone. Works really well for reading and clearing codes and you can view all the factory sensor info, cost me less than $10 including buying the full version of the app. The added bonus is I can easy switch it to other cars if I need to.
fracturedranga

Postby jaydo on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 11:53 +0000

fracturedranga wrote:Ive got a real cheap eBay ob2 bluetooth scanner and use the torque app on my smartphone. Works really well for reading and clearing codes and you can view all the factory sensor info, cost me less than $10 including buying the full version of the app. The added bonus is I can easy switch it to other cars if I need to.

Thanks for the info mate.
Do you use any other gauges at all?
jaydo

Postby fracturedranga on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 11:59 +0000

jaydo wrote:
fracturedranga wrote:Ive got a real cheap eBay ob2 bluetooth scanner and use the torque app on my smartphone. Works really well for reading and clearing codes and you can view all the factory sensor info, cost me less than $10 including buying the full version of the app. The added bonus is I can easy switch it to other cars if I need to.

Thanks for the info mate.
Do you use any other gauges at all?

I've got 2 redarc pillar guages that do egt, boost, water trans and oil temp. I only really use the app for checking codes now but it has some pretty good looking guage displays if you set it up on a tablet or large phone
fracturedranga

Re: Jaydo's SR Dual Cab - E-Locker

Postby jaydo on Wed, 18 Nov 2015 12:14 +0000

So after a few weeks of waiting for the next lot of shipping to come in, I finally had my E-Locker installed in my car last week. I went with a rear locker. It was just in time for another Mudratt4x4 meet up at Landcruiser Park last weekend.

WOW DOES IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!

playing on some of the technical tracks without the locker switched on took me between 5-10 mins to navigate some obstacles due to the back slipping and not working. Did the same ones with the locker switched on and was through in under 10 seconds.

I was hesitant at first to have one installed because I thought that it would take the fun out of 4wd'ing because everything would become a lot easier. In fact, I believe its the exact opposite. I like being able to hit the obstacles with minimal revs and crawl through them without the constant worry in the back of every hilux drivers head of the dreaded CV click. I didn't do anything that I would've normally done without the locker because I'm still testing it out and learning just how much more capable it has made the car.

However, on Saturday night we got a major down poor of rain, and anyone who has been to cruiser park would know how flat the camp areas are and how dry the creeks run. In one of the main camping areas, we were walking around in the water which would have been at least 3-4mm deep because the ground was so waterlogged. The heavy rain carried all through the night and unfortunately around 1.30am our tent decided to give up, so we didn't have too much sleep that night. The next day however made for an epic day of driving, with the water levels in the creeks right up and the ground still extremely slippery.
The waterfalls in the park were actually waterfalls. First time I have been there and actually seen water coming down them!

I'll throw some pics up later with the locker on and a few snaps that we took.
jaydo

Re: Jaydo's SR Dual Cab - E-Locker fitted

Postby TOYZX on Wed, 18 Nov 2015 12:21 +0000

Nice mate!
TOYZX

Postby apSlain on Wed, 18 Nov 2015 12:36 +0000

Nice stuff man, might have to accelerate a locker up the priority list. What made you go with the ELocker over an Air Locker?
Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

Postby jaydo on Thu, 19 Nov 2015 7:26 +0000

apSlain wrote:Nice stuff man, might have to accelerate a locker up the priority list. What made you go with the ELocker over an Air Locker?

Cost was a major contributor. E-Locker fitted was 2k and Air locker was 2.5ish for memory because you had to add the compressor if you didn't already have one. Also less things that could go wrong with the E-Locker eg. no air lines.
I figured if most modern 4x4 companies are putting E-lockers into their cars they must be a good thing.
jaydo

Postby apSlain on Thu, 19 Nov 2015 8:01 +0000

jaydo wrote:I figured if most modern 4x4 companies are putting E-lockers into their cars they must be a good thing.

Yeah, leaning towards the ELocker myself. My only concern with it is whether water will cause any trouble but I haven't seen many complaints in this regard. Love the build mate :D
Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

Postby ktm300 on Thu, 19 Nov 2015 9:22 +0000

jaydo wrote:
apSlain wrote:Nice stuff man, might have to accelerate a locker up the priority list. What made you go with the ELocker over an Air Locker?

Cost was a major contributor. E-Locker fitted was 2k and Air locker was 2.5ish for memory because you had to add the compressor if you didn't already have one. Also less things that could go wrong with the E-Locker eg. no air lines.
I figured if most modern 4x4 companies are putting E-lockers into their cars they must be a good thing.

With a properly run air line and a properly run power supply to the rear diff .
Whats the difference they can both be damaged. Cant They ??????
ktm300

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups