Jaydo's SR Dual Cab - Winch Control Box

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Jaydo's SR Dual Cab Build

Postby bob14hilux on Thu, 12 Mar 2015 2:43 +0000

Ordered a set for the back seat today too
Bob

Build thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=23413

If beer and women are not the answer then you are asking the wrong question
bob14hilux

Depo Angel lights and custom grill in

Postby jaydo on Sat, 14 Mar 2015 3:33 +0000

Another eventful day working on the car. Installed my angel lights which was pretty straight forward. Just went straight into the existing wiring. Also finished making my grille. All that is left to do is get my "TOYOTA" badge for the front of it. Will look great when my bullbar eventually gets done. Still waiting on buds, but it will be worth the wait!

jaydo

Postby TRDLuxxy on Sat, 14 Mar 2015 4:00 +0000

Whats the quality and fitment like of that grill mate?
TRDLuxxy

Postby jaydo on Sun, 15 Mar 2015 10:34 +0000

Terrible. I bought the grill off eBay, and it had a much thinner mesh in it. Didn't like it because it was too transparent so I bought a thicker honeycomb mesh which is what I've used here. The grill itself fits it, but the two top bits on the sides don't align properly with the existing screw holes. If I push them back to line them up the grill sits inwards to the car and not flush with the lights.

What I did was drill a longer hole down through the side casing of the lights and put a 50mm screw with a bolt on each side to act like a spacer. It's now fits fine no dramas but it was just another hassle. I'll take a picture when I get home.

The quality of the frame part itself seems okay, however all the clip parts do feel a bit flimsy. If it ever breaks I'll modify my old grille because it did seem a lot more solid.
jaydo

Postby beatle on Sun, 15 Mar 2015 5:50 +0000

What bar u getting from BUDS?? the angry eye 1 looks cool!!
Working kills Surfing skills
beatle

Postby jaydo on Mon, 16 Mar 2015 4:47 +0000

Nah, getting the loopless one like the one I posted on the first page
jaydo

Speedo Corrector - No idea?

Postby jaydo on Tue, 31 Mar 2015 7:44 +0000

So.. I purchased a speedo corrector from Jaycar last weekend. Thought it would be a pretty straight forward install. Now i'm no auto electrician but the instructions that it came with don't really help at all. Anyone installed one of these before and know how to do it/if it actually works?
jaydo

Postby TRDLuxxy on Tue, 31 Mar 2015 7:53 +0000

jaydo wrote:So.. I purchased a speedo corrector from Jaycar last weekend. Thought it would be a pretty straight forward install. Now i'm no auto electrician but the instructions that it came with don't really help at all. Anyone installed one of these before and know how to do it/if it actually works?

Pretty sure there is a write up on how to install the Jaycar unit..
TRDLuxxy

Postby jaydo on Tue, 31 Mar 2015 10:53 +0000

TRDLuxxy wrote:Pretty sure there is a write up on how to install the Jaycar unit..

Yeah, cheers. I think I found the one. Looks like I have my weekend sorted haha
jaydo

Easter Weekend Splurge

Postby jaydo on Thu, 02 Apr 2015 7:20 +0000

Splurged a little bit yesterday and today. Ordered myself a set oh Rhino racks - starting to prep the car a little for camping over the winter months and getting ready to go up to the cape in September this year. Also ordered myself a kings roof top tent, annex and pull out awning from 4wd supacentre. Not a bad price, in total set me back a total of $1k.

I have put my order in this morning for a pair of angled sliders from phat bars. Only a 3 week lead time apparently so that will be great - should give me enough time to fix up the tiny dent in the sill. My overhead console also arrived in a big parcel the other night so I will set that up myself in the next few weeks whenever I get a spare weekend.

The fridge that I ordered from ironman 4x4 is all set up now in the back of my car - bought a 65L fridge/freezer at the 4wd expo two weekends ago, and will be the first time trying it out this weekend when I head up to Double Island. Super keen to bust the camping gear out again!
jaydo

A few weekends out camping

Postby jaydo on Tue, 28 Apr 2015 10:14 +0000

I've been so busy lately I haven't had a chance to post any of these up.
This is from the easter long weekend and then the week after we hit up a few tracks up at glasshouse again.

jaydo

Jaydo's SR Dual Cab - Some Serious Work

Postby jaydo on Tue, 28 Apr 2015 10:24 +0000

Alrighty, well it has been a few busy weekends of mods and fitting camping in around that.

Ordered and received my angled rock sliders from phat bars. Good quality and I like the design and make of them. Looks solid.

After weeks of waiting because I was too lazy, I've also put in my Outback roof console and thrown a GME uhf into it. No more walkie-Talkies!!! woo! Lights up really well at night with the LED lights that are in it.

The car went into ARB last week and I've had my aero Rhino racks put onto the car.

Finally picked up a bullbar from Buds Customs. I have my winch ready to throw in, but so far just haven't had the time to get it in and set it up. Maybe next weekend will have a look into it.

And finally, I've taken the rear alloy bars off. Getting them powder coated black. I kind've like the look of the car without the bars, but unfortunatly I need to keep them on so I can put my racks up top for all my camping gear. Black makes everything look tougher anyway!

jaydo

Postby bob14hilux on Tue, 28 Apr 2015 1:09 +0000

Looking good. Paul at Phat Bars does good work. This is the first time I have seen the angled sliders.

How much is it costing to get the roll bars powder coated, if you don't mind me asking?
Bob

Build thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=23413

If beer and women are not the answer then you are asking the wrong question
bob14hilux

Postby jaydo on Tue, 28 Apr 2015 2:18 +0000

bob14hilux wrote:How much is it costing to get the roll bars powder coated, if you don't mind me asking?

$220 from some local mob. My cousin is getting hers done as well at another place down the gold coast and they quoted her $100. So there are definitely some better deals around, its just that this place was close to where I go to work and a few of my mates had done their bars there. Although I can't remember if she had the rear ladder rack like I do.

I actually just picked them all up and they look pretty good. Will hopefully put them all back together and get them on the car tonight/tomorrow morning.
jaydo

Black rear bars on

Postby jaydo on Sun, 03 May 2015 1:44 +0000

Reassembled my bars after getting them back from the painters. Looks much better in black! Also put a cage on the back of the car and will be putting my roof top tent on there this arvo just to make sure it all fits nicely. Made the brackets for it myself so that way when i'm not using the tent i"ll be able to take the whole rear rack off with the tent on it.

jaydo

Re: Jaydo's SR Dual Cab - Buds Customs Service is TERRIBLE

Postby jaydo on Thu, 14 May 2015 8:34 +0000

Just for anyone who missed my rant abouts Buds Customs work on another thread. I'm just re-posting this:

jaydo wrote:
jaydo wrote:So.. not that it was any surprise, because I thought it was gonna take a while anyway. Ordered a bullbar from buds customs last year in November, said it would be ready about mid January. Went in at the start of Feb to see how it was all going - giving time for a little leeway of being late. Popped in various times to see how close it is to being done and been told two more weeks, two more weeks over and over. Popped in just after the Easter period and said by the end of the week just been (come in on friday) and it should be done. Surprise, surprise , still nothing. 3 months over due is just killing me. Need a bar before I go on my next trip, not just for protection but winching and everything. Its killing me. I knew it would take longer than expected, but I didn't think it would be three months overdue and still not have a bar. :o

So, just to update on this. Man am I starting to kick up a bit of a stink... I'd like to think of myself as a pretty patient and down to earth person. If I could've just been told you bar will be ready in 6 months on this day - sure thing, I would've waiting and not cared at all. Fact is i'm still getting stuffed around. So I wrote the above message 2-3 weeks ago right before I left to go on my trip. Bud "loaned" me a bar that wasn't mine for the trip and said when I got back 2 weeks later that it would be fine to swap the loaned bar onto the hilux and my bar onto the hilux. So I came back (bar still not ready) - thats cool because I still have a bar on the front of my car to use.

Last night, Bud called me and says that he needs the loaned bar back because he has sold it to some other guy who will be there first thing in the morning (now today) to pick it up. My bar - still with Bud saying, "yeah mate, it will be ready next week." So because of the trip I needed somewhere to mount my UHF antenna, obviously mounted to the bar, I've had to cut this morning to give the bar back to him. That was no biggie because I knew I was always going to have to cut it anyway, except now I don't have a working UHF because I got nothing to mount the aerial to. Anyway, thats only a little thing.

The next part to piss me off about it all is that because I originally thought we would just swap bars, I threw my bumper out. Obviously now because still after 2 weeks, Bud can't supply me with the bar I ordered 6 months ago, he said he would source a bumper for my car, and put it all back on by 10am so my girlfriend would be able to drive my car to work (because I start work at 4am). She got there this morning and said he won't even HAVE the bumper until 10am which is too late for her to get to work. So she took his car and he has mine. Her mum offered to go pick my car up and drop his back after 10am when the bumper would be fitted, so to confirm she called just to make sure it would be ready. Surprise, surprise, the bumper isn't getting to Buds now until 3pm.

I am willing to put a tank of fuel on the line that my car will not be ready today. This has been the biggest F!@# around ever that i've ever been involved in.

Hows that for a rant?
jaydo

Jaydo's SR Dual Cab - 3 levels of storage

Postby jaydo on Thu, 14 May 2015 8:41 +0000

Alrighty, so I had another busy weekend setting up everything on the car. Getting one step closer to the cape.

I bought a middle rack off another forum user that sits flush with the back window. Perfect size for fitting my fridge underneath and eskies/spare/jerries on top. Only downside was that I had to take out the bars and racks from list weekend to get it to fit.

I've taken it as far forward as I can so there is still room to open the fridge at the back. I will still buy a slide for the fridge though just for ease of access when camping.

jaydo

Jaydo's SR Dual Cab - Roof Top Tent on!

Postby jaydo on Thu, 14 May 2015 8:47 +0000

I have also mounted the roof top tent to a flat deck mesh rhino rack. I put a spacer underneath the tent itself (only a piece of timber for now - will hopefully find a metal spacer of some sort that I can use) so that the tent sits above the sides of the tradie racks and clears the rhino racks when there is weight in the tent. The space also helps with the U-bolts that I used so that I can lift the whole mesh rack off with the RTT on top of it so I don't have to stuff around taking the RTT off and on the rack - because after doing it on the weekend, I never want to have to do that again haha!

I have the annex and the awning but haven't had a chance to fit them yet.

Here are some piccies:

jaydo

Re: Jaydo's SR Dual Cab - RTT on + 3 levels of storage

Postby white_hilux on Thu, 14 May 2015 9:04 +0000

I like that idea of having the three difference levels, prevents things from getting crushed and looks like it's reasonably easy to get to :D
Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab
2" lift, 32" Bighorns, F & R Diff Locked, Rock sliders, TJM Bullbar and Winch

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
white_hilux

Re: Jaydo's SR Dual Cab - RTT on + 3 levels of storage

Postby jaydo on Thu, 14 May 2015 9:43 +0000

white_hilux wrote:I like that idea of having the three difference levels, prevents things from getting crushed and looks like it's reasonably easy to get to :D

Yeah mate, the eskies slide out no worries and its really simple to get to from the sides. I'm just happy I can still open the fridge!

Congrats on the new ranger as well bud! Found myself watching one of your vids of your hilux in at glasshouse a couple of days ago!
jaydo

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups