Jaydo's SR Dual Cab - Winch Control Box

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Jaydo's SR Dual Cab - Bullbar, Winch and Personalised pl

Postby rds_929 on Tue, 23 Jun 2015 3:17 +0000

jaydo wrote:
rds_929 wrote:legend thanks heaps man so you reckon 2.5 front and 2 rear would be fairly level ?? or maybe go 2 front and 1rear ??

Yeah mate, I reckon so. I'll see if I have any other photos that I can put up that I had pre-bullbar at 2.5" or if you go back through this thread i'm sure you'll find one or two. 2.5" will take it back to what it was before the bullbar went on - so it will still be the same measurement, giving me the same front end measurement height pre-bullbar as post-bullbar.

I hope that make sense - I had to re-read it twice and I still don't think it makes sense haha.

When I wind it up i'll take some measurements and let you know. Gotta wait until I have some money though. I will get the front camber adjusted and probably get a wheel balance and rotation while i'm at it haha.

Will be away at cruiser park this weekend, so hopefully by mid July I'll get around to doing it pending my next few pay packages haha.

ha ha all good man thanks heaps so you reckon 2.5 front 2 rear is the better option or maybe 2 front and 1 rear ??
rds_929

Re: Jaydo's SR Dual Cab - 25" Korr Lightbar

Postby jaydo on Wed, 24 Jun 2015 5:41 +0000

2 in the front and 1 in the rear would be pretty bang on even I reckon, but it's all depends on what you are doing the suspension for. I went 2" all around + more front to allow for bigger tyres and more ground clearance.
2 back + 2.5 front is still a good combo if you want that tiny bit more clearance + less tyre rub.

Worst case scenario, you could probably take the front to 2.75" before the CV's start getting really dodgy looking. Just depends what brand you are running in the front. I would get the adjustable ones over and over again, just so I can keep winding them up when I want.
jaydo

Postby rds_929 on Wed, 24 Jun 2015 3:46 +0000

legend thanks heaps for all the feed back man spoke to a mate who works at arb but he recommended a OME kit which only gives 40mm of lift apparently which i think is pointless why pay that much for a 1" lift ?? he reckons anything more than 40mm will make the cv angle to dodgy ????
rds_929

Postby jaydo on Wed, 24 Jun 2015 5:37 +0000

Yeah that's a joke! OME is what they sell which is why they will probably try to promote it. 2" lift is 50mm and there is definitely nothing wrong with the CV angle. They looked solid.. Even when I had mine sitting at 2.5" - 62-63mm and they were "okay". I didn't want to take them much above that just as a precaution but I wouldn't take them anymore than 2.75" anyway. They were starting to get some pretty hairy angles there. I'd say 2.75 is the point of no return haha.

If I remember I'll take some photos for you of my 2" and I can take some more when I wind them up to 2.5 and post them here if you want.
jaydo

Postby rds_929 on Wed, 24 Jun 2015 7:42 +0000

that would be amazing man thanks so much for helping me out I'm a massive noob when it comes to 4wd but i think i'm starting to become addicted to it ha ha do you know much about the efs 2" kit ??
rds_929

Postby jaydo on Thu, 25 Jun 2015 6:18 +0000

rds_929 wrote:that would be amazing man thanks so much for helping me out I'm a massive noob when it comes to 4wd but i think i'm starting to become addicted to it ha ha do you know much about the efs 2" kit ??

Haha, no worries mate. Once you are in you get addicted pretty quick and that car of yours will seem to become a bigger and bigger money magnet!

Haven't had too much to do with the efs kit. Two of my mates have had them, both were on a navara and a dmax - one/two models back when they had torsion bars. They seemed to sit pretty level, however the dmax had really heavy duty 2" springs in it and the thing articulated like a lawn mower.

In all honesty man, I would use Monster Rides Rekon set-up on the front. Can't fault it! If for some reason it starts to sag (like adding more weight to the front) you can just wind it up to desired height. Then look at setting up rear springs of yours choice. But you just can't beat the adjustability of the front springs. Worse case scenario - if you don't get the desired front height you just have to drop an extra 300 ish I think for the diff drop kit. I'm currently not running the diff drop on mine. Maybe in the future, but for now i'm pretty happy with where a 2" lift + 32's get me to not want to go bigger.
jaydo

Postby rds_929 on Thu, 25 Jun 2015 3:48 +0000

awsome man sounds good how much would the rekon kit for the front roughly cost ?? spoke to a guy locally who installs the efs kit and he said it would be around 2k with the xtr 40mm struts and shocks installed which didn't sound to bad to me if im ever up your way on a trip ill shout you a beer
rds_929

Postby jaydo on Thu, 25 Jun 2015 4:20 +0000

not sure mate, just type monster rides rekon into google. Should just pop up. I am pretty sure for the front coils, swaybar relocator and rear shockies it was 1200ish. Don't quote me, they've been on the car for a while now. Like I said 100 times - I just loved the adjusting feature and they are awesome quality.

Haha, don't worry about the beers mate, just hit the tracks with us and bring them with you haha!
Might be heading down your way sometime in the next year or two to do high country. Doing the Cape this year and probably simpson desert next year. Trying to talk the old man and friends into doing Vic high country too haha.
jaydo

Postby jaydo on Thu, 25 Jun 2015 4:21 +0000

pretty sure for rekon all round + dobinson rear leaves and front bashplates it was about 2300 ish + I installed myself. Pretty easy job.
jaydo

Postby rds_929 on Thu, 25 Jun 2015 5:11 +0000

sounds good man the high country looks pretty gnarly i would have no idea how to install the kit ha ha ha would prob be another $500 for someone to install it ??
rds_929

Postby jaydo on Thu, 25 Jun 2015 5:20 +0000

I'm no mechanic but it was really straight forward -

undo the bolts on the top of the coil. There will be 3 up on top. undo them and undo the bolt that goes into the LCA. Should just pop out if you put weight on the LCA. Then for the front coils depending how good the brand is, put spring compressors on the coils, use a bar or something to put more weight on the LCA, slip it into the LCA and then keep the downwards pressure on the LCA while you put it back up into the top. Its a 2 man job for that.

The back is really straight forward. Just look at where the shackles go into the leaf springs and undo the stuff that goes through them at both ends and the whole leaf itself will just drop out. Even if you decide to just add an extra leaf, you will still have to take them out.

Took me and my cousin 1 hour to do both springs on the back and about 4 hours to do the front. First strut took 3 hours because we broke the first lot of spring compressors and had to get more and the tension on them was pretty crazy. We were sweating like pigs haha.

However, after doing that, just last wekeend, my dad bought a wrecked prado with a lift it in. We took the lift (front only) out of the wrecked car, and took the stock out of dads and put the lift into his and then the stock suspension into the wreck and it would've taken 2 hours absolute max. I reckon I could've done it this time with one hand behind my back.
jaydo

Postby jaydo on Mon, 06 Jul 2015 11:40 +0000

rds_929,

Here is the photo of my CV's at a 2" lift. Will hopefully get a chance to get them back to 2.5" this weekend.

jaydo

Re: Jaydo's SR Dual Cab - Almost Finished

Postby rds_929 on Mon, 06 Jul 2015 11:55 +0000

legend cheers man so arb are just taking the piss a bit and just wanting to sell ome. i spoke to a local 4wd shop and he was much more helpful he suggested efs 2" all round with the bigger xtr struts/shocks and with extra heavy duty springs up front to compensate for when the bar,winch and dual battery going man my build list is growing rapidly might need to borrow some more money against the house hopefully the missus doesn't find out ha ha ha
rds_929

Postby jaydo on Tue, 07 Jul 2015 4:24 +0000

rds_929 wrote:legend cheers man so arb are just taking the piss a bit and just wanting to sell ome. i spoke to a local 4wd shop and he was much more helpful he suggested efs 2" all round with the bigger xtr struts/shocks and with extra heavy duty springs up front to compensate for when the bar,winch and dual battery going man my build list is growing rapidly might need to borrow some more money against the house hopefully the missus doesn't find out ha ha ha

Haha definitely man. Its a never ending money pit! Once your in you can't get out haha.
Yeah OME is good, but if you want to spend that little bit more coin there are definitely better lifts out there. EFS I haven't used but like I said, I've heard and seen good things with it. Don't go too heavy duty in the back if you don't need to. Otherwise you will turn it into a lawn mower offroad. I have a styleside on the back and I only went with 250 constant load. Probably could have gone less, but I set my car up for camping.
jaydo

Postby jaydo on Tue, 07 Jul 2015 4:25 +0000

Our trip up to Landcruiser Park at the end of June.

jaydo

Postby TRDLuxxy on Tue, 07 Jul 2015 4:58 +0000

Gopro intro, nice video [emoji106]
TRDLuxxy

Re: Depo Angel lights and custom grill in

Postby LuxKid on Tue, 07 Jul 2015 6:01 +0000

jaydo wrote:Another eventful day working on the car. Installed my angel lights which was pretty straight forward. Just went straight into the existing wiring. Also finished making my grille. All that is left to do is get my "TOYOTA" badge for the front of it. Will look great when my bullbar eventually gets done. Still waiting on buds, but it will be worth the wait!

Any chance you want to sell your original headlights?
LuxKid

Postby jaydo on Tue, 07 Jul 2015 9:24 +0000

Sorry mate, I sold them a while ago.
jaydo

Postby jaydo on Tue, 07 Jul 2015 9:25 +0000

TRDLuxxy wrote:Gopro intro, nice video [emoji106]

Cheers mate
jaydo

Postby rds_929 on Wed, 08 Jul 2015 5:09 +0000

awsome vid man your truck looks huge in the vid looks like it goes pretty good on the tracks to ;) ;)
rds_929

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups