my 07 sr hilux

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: my 07 sr hilux

Postby gold member on Thu, 14 Sep 2017 7:32 +0000

Been a while between posts, in the process of changing my setup. Bought a Camper trailer so Rooftop tent is gone! Was getting frustrated wih the set up and lack of room and with another kid on the way we are running out of room. Rear Drawers are also gone, And did put my canopy up for swap/sale to go back to a fibre glass job, was too hard to organise being away so much and was getting messed around by buyers and ultimately wanted to swap. (Still interested in a swap Btw)
As far as upgrades go to the Lux lately - 30" lightbar discretely hidden on the roof rack,
Installed a 3"berklee exhaust ( should have upgraded this years ago), get a 4terrain Ulimate clutch installed Wed and have a DP chip module sitting at home awaiting to be installed. This should give the old lux a bit more perk, especially towing the trailer. Pretty much Lap of Oz planned in for next June -Cape york here we come! ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gold member

Postby Critter350 on Thu, 14 Sep 2017 7:59 +0000

Doing the lap with a newborn? Way to break em in!

Cheers
Crit
Critter350

Postby gold member on Thu, 14 Sep 2017 8:03 +0000

Critter350 wrote:Doing the lap with a newborn? Way to break em in!

Cheers
Crit

Yeah mate , had the young fella first camping out at about 8 weeks, but will be a test traveling oz with a 5 month old!

gold member

Postby TOYZX on Thu, 14 Sep 2017 8:28 +0000

Congrats man! And have fun traveling with the fam!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby NZMarkb on Fri, 15 Sep 2017 3:02 +0000

Good on ya mate
Look forward to hearing how that trailer performs (I've been looking at that model)
If your not prepared to stand behind our Troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gold member on Fri, 15 Sep 2017 11:13 +0000

NZMarkb wrote:Good on ya mate
Look forward to hearing how that trailer performs (I've been looking at that model)

Maiden voyage went really well, very happy with the trailer and how the hilux tows it , cruises along nicely at 100 and at time you forget is there (until you reach a hill that is )
If you bought one just make sure to account for the need to install a DcDc charger, to prolong the lifte of the AGM batteries and straight up get the wheel bearings and brakes inspected !
They cant guarantee what wheel bearings are in there (some have cheap chinese copies) or that they are grease properly.
Mine had skf bearings all round but the grease was very questionable (thin) i still replaced all the bearings with the new skf ones they had supplied with the trailer.
Whilst doing this i noticed a broken handbrake cam in the brake baking plate, could not find a matching part to replace it with so i ended up changing both brake backing plates to Alco brand so i know i can get parts easier if required. Mind you the original brakes worked well i just lost faith in them finding a broken part after 600kms.

So on top of the 20k purchase price i have spent around 4k tweaking the electrical system and ensuring i have no issues with wheels and brakes. The inly other issue people have are with the shocks, a lot of owners upgrade to FJ40 shocks of a quality brand this is on the list before i leave.

Am i happy with it even with these issues? Yes very happy with it, i looked at around 5 different brands and settled on the black series patron as it seemed the best value for money even when considering these issues . black series have been awesome in regards to warranty claims and customer service. I knew exactly what i was getting myself into and what the common issues where so i accounted for this and changed these things out straight up , just a pity black series don't address these issues at the manufacturing stage.

The other option for a forward folding rear slide trailer is the MDC cruizer slide, but essentially these are all from the same factory just the fit out are slightly different.

gold member

Postby gold member on Fri, 15 Sep 2017 11:15 +0000

TOYZX wrote:Congrats man! And have fun traveling with the fam!

Cheers Toyz cant wait to get going, just need to do a heap of local trips so we can ensure we only take what we need and that we get the new baby in used to living like gypsy's

gold member

Postby gold member on Sun, 24 Sep 2017 6:28 +0000

So new 4terrian ultimate clutch is in and wow im impressed, for a heavy duty clutch it is still soft on the pedal but plenty of bite, will test it out Tuesday when i take the camper out. Also fitted the DP chip , wish I had done this years ago! A nice improvement indeed. Drives like a whole different car now, i am very happy it [emoji4]

gold member

Postby Critter350 on Sun, 24 Sep 2017 5:43 +0000

Good to know, how many k's on your motor? I'll watch yours for a while to see if any issues arise

Cheers
Crit
Critter350

Postby gold member on Fri, 29 Sep 2017 4:19 +0000

Critter350 wrote:Good to know, how many k's on your motor? I'll watch yours for a while to see if any issues arise

Cheers
Crit

180k Crit , been running the DP chip for a week and no issues, enjoying the extra power and the new clutch has settled in nicely. Reversed the trailer up the driveway no slippage and no burning clutch smell [emoji1303]

gold member

my 07 sr hilux

Postby gold member on Wed, 20 Dec 2017 3:51 +0000

ImageImageImage ImageImage
Been a while since i visited this forum, finally got around to doing the EGR and intake clean, so should have done this ages ago, as you can see by the pics. She breathes a lot easier now!

gold member

Postby TOYZX on Wed, 20 Dec 2017 5:35 +0000

Fun job ey G.M! Nice one.

TOYZX

my 07 sr hilux

Postby gold member on Wed, 21 Mar 2018 8:12 +0000

Bought a Ozbush manual mapper the other day as it seems after the EGR clean my Hilux has developed the dreaded light load rattle. After getting the injectors and fuel system checked and confirmed to be good i figure i will see if by keeping the EGR closed it will stop the rattle, now waiting until next week when i get home to try it out.

Also finally installed a EGT gauge, fitted the VMS reverse camera ( makes hooking up the trailer so much easier!), new snorkel to airbox hose, rivnuts installed for the snorkle mount in the pillar (5years later [emoji23]) . I have a secondary fuel filter kit to install also with a water seperator.

Nearly ready for the big lap!

Oh bought a new toy also, now need to learn to fly it also in the remaining 4 weeks I actually get at home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gold member

Postby Sam Gribley on Sun, 25 Mar 2018 6:45 +0000

So cleaning the EGR has actually caused problems??? What the hell!!
Sam Gribley

Postby gold member on Mon, 26 Mar 2018 3:19 +0000

Sam Gribley wrote:So cleaning the EGR has actually caused problems??? What the hell!!

Not 100% sure but it’s very coincidental the noise appears so soon after the clean. Will be able to confirm this Wednesday when I can install the Ozbush manual mapper. Not sure if it is the swirl control valves or the EGR valve itself , seems to stem from the very rear of the motor and only under a light load.

gold member

Postby apSlain on Mon, 26 Mar 2018 4:10 +0000

Sam Gribley wrote:So cleaning the EGR has actually caused problems??? What the hell!!

The more you open, the more things that may go wrong...mine developed a bit of smoke after swapping out the injectors and doing the intake/EGR clean along with a new rocker cover.

gold member, did you plate yours alongside getting the manual mapper?
Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

Postby Critter350 on Mon, 26 Mar 2018 4:11 +0000

I have a light load rattle too, but think it’s pretty normal. Don’t remember it being there before the manifold clean, maybe it was?
Kind of makes sense that linkages would stretch because of the obstruction, then become free play when the gunk is gone. Is there an adjustment to clamp the valves closed tighter when not open? Or somewhere to add a spring....

Critter350

Postby gold member on Mon, 26 Mar 2018 4:22 +0000

Critter350 wrote:I have a light load rattle too, but think it’s pretty normal. Don’t remember it being there before the manifold clean, maybe it was?
Kind of makes sense that linkages would stretch because of the obstruction, then become free play when the gunk is gone. Is there an adjustment to clamp the valves closed tighter when not open? Or somewhere to add a spring....

Yeah it drives me insane Crit , I can’t do a 26k trip around Oz with it! I hope by closing the EGR permanently it solves it , it only starts happening once the engine is at full running temp, when it’s cold it is fine.
I presume you have a restriction plate installed crit? I have and now with it cleaned I am also wondering if the EGR valve gets somewhat confused and opens and closes erratically? It’s a real piezo electric sound.

gold member

Postby Critter350 on Mon, 26 Mar 2018 4:59 +0000

Not sure I’d call mine piezo electric, maybe yours is different.

How long are you planning for the trip?

Critter350

Postby gold member on Mon, 26 Mar 2018 5:15 +0000

Yeah mine is fairly load , well to me it is the wife tells me she can’t notice it ....

I’m taking 3 months off, basically scooting up to Darwin Via broome , a few days rest in my home town Darwin then across to Cairns , spend a few there weeks to do Cape York. Then down the east coast to spend time with the folks, get some fishing in there , then it’s down through broken hill to SA , Nullarbor run and spend the last week or so around Esperance and cape Arid. Unfortunately will miss Vic this time, will do that another time on its own, main driver is cape York. Going to be a bit of a rush job but I have a pretty solid plan for it all.

gold member

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups