Knoxys Build - 2009 SR Dual Cab

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Knoxys Build

Postby knoxys1 on Thu, 18 Dec 2014 2:38 +0000

Looks good mate steel tray will be way better for ya, nice name too...... :D

Im looking at doing the two toolbox set up too. What size depth toolbox did you end up getting and by any chance do you know if you can fit an engel fridge etc in it with the door still closing? The G7 tool boxes have a good range of sizes.
knoxys1

Postby knoxy on Mon, 22 Dec 2014 7:10 +0000

Haha, I saw your name and thought "bloody hell that's guys a top bloke!" Hahah

I got the 1500x800x600, full doors. Fit a waeco in on the Side (that's my plan, with a horizontal fridge slide)

Build quality is 6/10, had to do a lot of adjusting and grind one of the sides, but at $1200 for both delivered, I wasn't too annoyed!

If anything they're too wide, not a lot of room in the middle, would've prefered 500 deep, but the price was right..
09 Dual Cab SR: Stallion Tray | ARB Winch Bar | Warn 9500 Winch | Ultimate 3" lift| Narva Ultima 225 | Snorkel |MR Diff-Relocation | 32" BFG A/Ts +0 offset| Flares |
knoxy

Postby HLUXRY on Tue, 23 Dec 2014 9:59 +0000

That tray! Very nice indeed bud!
Im currently on the lookout for one for mine. Would much rather an old one that i can customise than start from scratch. What did you type on eBay to find it? Was it off a hilux previously or something else?
All in all keep up the great work bloke!
Man VS Wild - In Australia mate... We call it Camping!
HLUXRY

Postby D4D luxy on Tue, 23 Dec 2014 10:56 +0000

Nice work Knoxy she's comin along! Keen to see it over Christmas n maybe we can head for a Fourbie while I'm in town!
D4D luxy

Postby knoxy on Tue, 23 Dec 2014 3:46 +0000

Thanks mate! I started off with "hilux steel tray" but they all sold for 1K+ in any condition, it took me about 2 weeks and searched for "tray" narrowed it down to 50km search radius (didn't select a category) and opted for auction only (so no companies advertising on eBay came up) had to sort through a heap of "silver tea tray"s before I found this one, but I was a "still tray" for a hilux, listed in the cars and boats section, so that's why I say search for tray only, as some people don't specify at all. It was off an 07 hilux, picked it up from a guy about 30mins from me. It was originally built by an engineering company in Victoria. Called them up and they're 3.8k new, so I was ecstatic.

Cheers dude! Yeah I'm heaps keen, Toms got me a UHF and big aerial for Christmas so I'll whack that in and I'll be good to go! Keen for a day trip anywhere or a overnighter if you've got time in the jubbslux! Haha. You at yours Christmas day? Was going to pop in and have a beer with the fam in the arvo.

Update on the tool boxes, some scum broke into them on Saturday night and made off with every tool I own, down to the tubes of sika and spray painted some lovely messages for me all over them, so can't say much about the security of the locks. I'm looking into "fast lock" replacement locks and patching them into my central locking, along with installing a motion activated camera in the corner of both. Probably a hunting one, so I get photos sent to my phone. If anyone's got some tips, send them through!
09 Dual Cab SR: Stallion Tray | ARB Winch Bar | Warn 9500 Winch | Ultimate 3" lift| Narva Ultima 225 | Snorkel |MR Diff-Relocation | 32" BFG A/Ts +0 offset| Flares |
knoxy

Postby brett.k on Tue, 23 Dec 2014 7:03 +0000

Nice rig knoxy
Like how youve set the tray up, i would like to do that to mine one day. Where did you get the tool boxes from and were they expensive? What size flares did you get?
brett.k

Postby knoxy on Tue, 23 Dec 2014 8:07 +0000

Cheers mate!

The tool boxes are "G7" brand, he's on eBay but it's cheaper to go through his website and call him! They're the 1500(long)x800(tall)x600(wide) full door models. Went full door so it's easier to grab the droppy out at work. I think I paid $1260 in total, freighted, express (about 4days), for both. The flares are the utemart extra wide ones, they're 10mm wider than the SR5 ones, however I'll be swapping to their new ones which come down and meet the bulbar nicer when they're released in late January this year, because as you can see they stick out a bit from my bar a bit (arb commercial winch bar for non-flared SR). I believe I paid around $460 delivered, for front and rear.hope this helps!
knoxy

Postby D4D luxy on Tue, 23 Dec 2014 8:37 +0000

Faaaaaaaarken ell mate that's a low blow!! Where was it parked at ur old girls? Not many lower than a thief! Especially those taking someone's ability to make a living!
I think we're at the uncles for Chrissy lunch but sure we'll be around give seanos a bell and we'll have a few brews!
Yep keen for an overnighter I reckon!!
D4D luxy

Postby knoxy on Tue, 23 Dec 2014 8:58 +0000

Nah man, just at mine! Some kids having a party at the waterfall I assume, needless to say really f$@#&% my time off for me and stressed me out more than I needed. Worst part is my name is on all of it, so it'll all be in the trash in dee why somewhere probably... Hahah.

Unreal, sounds good! And yep, overnighter sounds like great techas,,, very keen. If you've got a spare few mins any chance if you can have a go at diagnosing the clicking noise on the left hand side on full lock before I pay Grechy to sort it for me? Hand tools and drills are on the menu before hiluxs now so out to save some $$$ hahahah.
knoxy

Postby D4D luxy on Wed, 24 Dec 2014 5:20 +0000

Haha yea mate sounds good. I'll run ya through the service too while I'm up
D4D luxy

Postby knoxy on Wed, 24 Dec 2014 5:28 +0000

Jee you're a good bloke.. I'll bring the tins!
knoxy

Postby D4D luxy on Wed, 24 Dec 2014 8:18 +0000

I know I know.
D4D luxy

Postby knoxy on Tue, 30 Dec 2014 7:21 +0000

Well. Christmas had its ups and downs!
Mrs bought me a new waeco cfx-35, so that's sped up my plans on a dual battery kit! Went to TJM and got a tray and their brand isolator (red centa) then my local battery shop and bought a 100ah secondary battery with 2 years warranty for a around $210, all up around $650 for parts, including cabling, little spade connectors etc, 12v wiring and some plugs for the tray! My old mans going to help me with wiring that in, very out of my league hahah.. Also got a GME TX3120s, a 980mm AE4018K3 plus bracket to plug in, so when the dual battery's go in, I'll wire that all up as well!

On the down side, parked the car on a serious incline for a few days and as I drove off, noticed a serious dark patch on the White driveway. Hopped underneath and I'm leaking a lot of oil. Brains trust on the Facebook N70 page says I've got a leaking rear main, so when the mechanics back (5th) I'll be booking her in for a lot of time on a hoist, as I understand it's a very long task. May get the EGR cleaned out whilst it's in the air..

Also bought some 3M matte black vinyl wrap, going to do TRD style windows whilst she's just sitting their on the flat waiting for mechanic.

That's all for now. Seriously hampered my goal of 4x4ing over the break.
knoxy

Postby D4D luxy on Tue, 30 Dec 2014 1:53 +0000

Got some good treats mate!! Don't let having a leaking rear main stop ya from using ur truck mate!! As long as u keep an eye on ur oil level there's no reason u can't use it just as normal!
Had one in my old, old lux for a year!!
D4D luxy

Re: Knoxys Build - 2009 SR Dual Cab

Postby knoxy on Thu, 08 Jan 2015 9:00 +0000

Did the TRD style windows mod, as well as installed a GME TX3120s, with an AE4018K3 980mm antenna! Pretty easy to install, just tapped into the 12v socket in cab! Just sitting in the glovebox for now, few weeks I'll get an overhead console and run the cabling up into there!

Got rear main fixed and an auto service done whilst the box was out, so all good to go! Hopefully hitting the tracks next weekend.

Also bought gear for a dual battery kit-
TJM isolator
TJM tray
100AH marine battery
Leaps and bounds of cabling, fuses, etc etc- planning on running a 12v outlet to each toolbox, for the time being but just putting one in the back, got a waeco cfx-35 for Christmas and want to power that!

Anyone want to recommend me some gear I should add to that, chime in :)

Next up is probably 12v compressor, may put in tool box or squeeze in in the engine bay, there's alot going on in there now with the second battery, fuel filter, catch can etc..

Photos soon!
knoxy

Postby knoxy on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 1:32 +0000

Just an update,
Installed rock sliders from Kinselas Kustoms, very happy with them! sprayed them in gloss black, couple of coats of paint- long term i'd like to get the tray, bullbar & sliders sandblasted & resprayed in gloss black, so they all match! if anyone knows any reasonably priced blaster/painters i'd love to know!

knoxy

Postby rds_929 on Tue, 19 Jan 2016 3:09 +0000

knoxy wrote:G'day guys! been lurking around for a few months, Thought i'd finally post a build up, hopefully you guys can give me some good ideas and helpful advice as I go deep into the 4x4 world!

My old car was a 2004 ford falcon BA wagon. Nothing fancy, nothing good about it aside from the boot space…. But I can't fault her. Served me for 2 years, faultless. Two services, 60 odd thousand kms and she didn't skip a beat. Sold her for 3K in december last year, took me until early february to find my new car- Almost bought D4dluxys car, but opted out because single cab didn't seem like enough cabin space… Eventually settled on a 2009 dual cab hilux SR with 108,000kms on the clock and full service history for 23k! Couldn't be happier. Was originally going for extra cab, but they're like hens teeth these days and for what i wanted, dual cab was fine.

I'm a second year apprentice, So money isn't the strongest point, so a lot of my gear is eBay numbers and second hand gear. No doubt if you've something for sale at the right price and i've mentioned i'm after one, ill pick it up! Always looking for a bargain and to drive that dollar a little bit further.. hahah.

When I bought her she had-
Avenger Canopy
ARB Winch Bar
Warn 9500 Winch
Offroad Towball
Lovells GVM suspension upgrade (serious kit..)

Since then i've made the following additions!
Narva Ultima 225
Bonnet protector
Floor mats
Snorkel
1" diff drop
50mm raise up front
32" BFG A/Ts on sunrasias +0 offset
Heavy Duty Drawers in tub
Utemart SR flares
Reverse Camera

And in the long run i'd love
Seat Covers
Roof Console
Cb Radio
Aerials
Compressor Under bonnet
Front Body chop
Roof Racks
Scrub Bars
Rock sliders
diff breathers
Rekon stage 2

And when the lotto comes in
Lockers
Long range tank
Steel tray with canvas canopy

So enough Waffling on, Here's some photos!

Day Of Purchase!
Bonnet Protector
Spotlights

Creation Of Drawers
Drawers Now
Side View

Before 50mm up front and 32" BFG A/Ts

After! (+ snorkel and flares)

Today! 14/6/13

Thanks;

All the workI've had done mechanically is by Matt Grech from muddiggers 4x4 in Mona Vale. The guy is a legend and comes with a 100% recommendation from me. I've never met a friendlier, trustworthy mechanic and if you're in the area and need some work done, he's the man to talk to!

Drawers were made by me and my boss, use some heavy slides for unto 250KG, 100KG at full extension. cost about $500 to make.. extend out 1100mm.

The tyres were a present from the Mrs! really covered the 20th Birthday.. i'm sure she's already over me blowing every paycheque on the car.. But she's supportive!

Any advice, tips, criticism, help, is very welcome! Thanks for reading :) I'll try and update this post as I slowly make my way along, saves some scrolling :)

awsome read man did you have spacers in when you had the 50mm lift in as well ?? height looked good for 2" lift
rds_929

Postby knoxy on Wed, 20 Jan 2016 3:39 +0000

Cheers mate!
It had up front totally sagged lovells suspension, then i whacked in a 50mm spacer which i thought would do 2", but I believe they actually do 3" for some reason. (i've no idea why, at all.). so It was closer to 3-3 1/2" up front, whereas the rear was unladen GVM increasing rated springs (like 800kgs) hence the height in the rear. I've since gone ultimate 3" up front and a custom pack in the rear and it's a lot nicer on the road + handles 1,000x better off road!
knoxy

Postby TOYZX on Wed, 20 Jan 2016 3:56 +0000

Nice one mate! I hope ya took them spacers out once the new 3inch kit went in!
TOYZX

Postby knoxy on Fri, 22 Jan 2016 7:34 +0000

Hahah, yeah they definitely went! Ken and Brendan sorted me out proper.

I've ordered a custom tray, mounted a CKMA12 under the rear seats and got a 42" led bar for across the top with MR brackets, I'll add some photos up when it's all done.
knoxy

Previous

Return to Member Build Ups