Knoxys Build - 2009 SR Dual Cab

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Knoxys Build - 2009 SR Dual Cab

Postby knoxy on Wed, 14 May 2014 3:15 +0000

G'day guys! been lurking around for a few months, Thought i'd finally post a build up, hopefully you guys can give me some good ideas and helpful advice as I go deep into the 4x4 world!

My old car was a 2004 ford falcon BA wagon. Nothing fancy, nothing good about it aside from the boot space…. But I can't fault her. Served me for 2 years, faultless. Two services, 60 odd thousand kms and she didn't skip a beat. Sold her for 3K in december last year, took me until early february to find my new car- Almost bought D4dluxys car, but opted out because single cab didn't seem like enough cabin space… Eventually settled on a 2009 dual cab hilux SR with 108,000kms on the clock and full service history for 23k! Couldn't be happier. Was originally going for extra cab, but they're like hens teeth these days and for what i wanted, dual cab was fine.

I'm a second year apprentice, So money isn't the strongest point, so a lot of my gear is eBay numbers and second hand gear. No doubt if you've something for sale at the right price and i've mentioned i'm after one, ill pick it up! Always looking for a bargain and to drive that dollar a little bit further.. hahah.

When I bought her she had-
Avenger Canopy
ARB Winch Bar
Warn 9500 Winch
Offroad Towball
Lovells GVM suspension upgrade (serious kit..)

Since then i've made the following additions!
Narva Ultima 225
Bonnet protector
Floor mats
Snorkel
1" diff drop
50mm raise up front
32" BFG A/Ts on sunrasias +0 offset
Heavy Duty Drawers in tub
Utemart SR flares
Reverse Camera

And in the long run i'd love
Seat Covers
Roof Console
Cb Radio
Aerials
Compressor Under bonnet
Front Body chop
Roof Racks
Scrub Bars
Rock sliders
diff breathers
Rekon stage 2

And when the lotto comes in
Lockers
Long range tank
Steel tray with canvas canopy

So enough Waffling on, Here's some photos!

Day Of Purchase!
Bonnet Protector
Spotlights

Creation Of Drawers
Drawers Now
Side View

Before 50mm up front and 32" BFG A/Ts

After! (+ snorkel and flares)

Today! 14/6/13

Thanks;

All the workI've had done mechanically is by Matt Grech from muddiggers 4x4 in Mona Vale. The guy is a legend and comes with a 100% recommendation from me. I've never met a friendlier, trustworthy mechanic and if you're in the area and need some work done, he's the man to talk to!

Drawers were made by me and my boss, use some heavy slides for unto 250KG, 100KG at full extension. cost about $500 to make.. extend out 1100mm.

The tyres were a present from the Mrs! really covered the 20th Birthday.. i'm sure she's already over me blowing every paycheque on the car.. But she's supportive!

Any advice, tips, criticism, help, is very welcome! Thanks for reading :) I'll try and update this post as I slowly make my way along, saves some scrolling :)
Last edited by knoxy on Thu, 08 Jan 2015 8:53 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
09 Dual Cab SR: Stallion Tray | ARB Winch Bar | Warn 9500 Winch | Ultimate 3" lift| Narva Ultima 225 | Snorkel |MR Diff-Relocation | 32" BFG A/Ts +0 offset| Flares |
knoxy

Re: Knoxys Build

Postby mf_shifty on Wed, 14 May 2014 4:19 +0000

if you dont have two baby seats in the back like me, do the rear seat mod, chopping the catches to allow you to use the space behind the rear seat,
Folding back seat mod - For ALL dual cabs

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3578&hilit=rear+seat+mod

Then buy a cheap cargo net and cable tie it to the back of the seat for storing snatch straps ect... just did it in mine, be awsome if i didnt have to pull the kids seats outy to get to it :cry:
also grab some marine carpet and glue it to the top of your draws, stops things slidding about and if you do it over the whole lot, draws and all, looks a whole lot more professional ;)
mf_shifty

Postby Terez on Wed, 14 May 2014 5:33 +0000

Nice rig mate
Terez

Postby packeteer on Wed, 14 May 2014 5:50 +0000

looking good mate

just for looks: you might wanna put some some of wedge on the ends of the bar so the flares don't stick out so much
2011 Dual Cab SR5 D4D manual.
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby D4D luxy on Wed, 14 May 2014 6:25 +0000

good onya boggo!!
first things first mate U NEED A UHF top of the priority list imo.
builds coming along well I'm keen to see how she goes
D4D luxy

Postby packeteer on Wed, 14 May 2014 7:31 +0000

D4D luxy wrote:first things first mate U NEED A UHF top of the priority list imo.

yeah, they are very handy. If you can afford it, get the ICOM 440N and a good fibreglass antenna. there are cheaper alternatives such as GME TX3100 or get a cheap handheld till you can afford better
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby knoxy on Wed, 14 May 2014 8:13 +0000

@ mf_Shifty; Yep i've been meaning to get onto that! D4D Luxy was messaging me about that just today :) we were talking about a compressor back there- do you think one would fit? wouldn't mind hard wiring one in there,along with a few metres of air hose to reach all the tyres.. would having one hard wired in be pushing it one the single battery? along with the spotties? Excellent idea on the cargo net! ill grab one off ebay, so cheap! and yep- The boss wanted to do checker plate, I knew someone would have something better! i'll search up prices and get onto that, cheers :)

@Terez; Cheers mate! How big's the light bar you've got? Reckon they're worth it?

@Packeteer #1; Some of wedge? Is that meant to be some sort of wedge? I couldn't agree more- do you have any idea what but? it's the extra wide flares that make it stick out so much, i'd love to streamline it.. not sure what the wide flares will do with my attempts to get scrub bars as well :/

@D4Dluxy; Thanks Skot! We'll see how she goes against bert on sunday… Seanos should bring the vitara, he was talking to me about wanting a patrol wagon, surely that can't be real… Yeah keen on a CB, I want to mount it in the roof console but..

@Packeteer #2;
Is that the best one for 4x4ing? I've been looking at (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 1300852746) as they go for around the 150 mark, is that a useless bit of kit? I'd be keen on a tall aerial, but not too tall.. don't want to go making the the ute any taller than she already is! I want two antenna long term, one for the UHF and the other for 4G phone reception… is there a best way to mount them onto my bulbar? Thanks!

Thanks heaps for the responses guys!
09 Dual Cab SR: Stallion Tray | ARB Winch Bar | Warn 9500 Winch | Ultimate 3" lift| Narva Ultima 225 | Snorkel |MR Diff-Relocation | 32" BFG A/Ts +0 offset| Flares |
knoxy

Postby packeteer on Wed, 14 May 2014 8:40 +0000

sorry mate, yes I meant "some sort of wedge". maybe see if Clark Rubber has anything?

I've had an Oricom 280 for about 18 months, it worked really well until recently (clear, strong signal, no issues). Unfortunately it has started to play up. I don't know if that means the brand is crap, but they have a 3 year warranty, so will see how I go.

I would say your linked antenna will do the job, but wont stand up to much abuse. A full fibreglass on spring mount is better for the bush. fwiw, I have the CL474S from MobileOne. They also have 3/4G antennas in the same style.

As for bullbar mounting, there are basically 2 ways. A clamp, or a welded on tab.

#3 ?
there is plenty of room behind the back seat, I'm going to install my compressor back there shorty
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby packeteer on Wed, 14 May 2014 8:54 +0000

take a look at this ebay special:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ORICOM-UHF55 ... 233a589905

a mate of mine was using one last weekend, it seemed to do a decent job
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby jaybags on Thu, 15 May 2014 7:18 +0000

Nice build mate 8-)
Cheers,
Jay

My (super slow) build - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=20120
jaybags

Postby mf_shifty on Fri, 16 May 2014 4:38 +0000

i bought my carpet from bunnings, about $32 a meter, tip, i used a blue'ish colour because they were out of black, wait for the black, sooner or later you'll stain it :lol:

as for the compresser, it'll fit but be weary of tempriture if yours is carpeted, i wanna do the same but currently have mine in the top left of the engine bay. though i did see a photo on here the other day of someone installing an arb compresser in the 'wheel change parts area' under the seat on the left side where the bottle jack goes i think, looked good, but tight, and arb compressors aint cheap :roll:
mf_shifty

Postby knoxy on Tue, 03 Jun 2014 5:21 +0000

Sorry for the slow updates! been taking my time, have been reading the forums and learning! thought i'd update when i'd done another mod, i've now completed the front body chop! still needs to get plated but no more scraping whilst off road! +0 offset tyres are a whole world of issues hahah. Got the chop done in mona vale, great price and real stoked with it! Alos went wheeling the other weekend, had a great time with d4dluxy and the team, was hoping some photos would've surfaced on Facebook by now to share, but apparently not! hahaha.

Also at a crossroads, was wondering if anyone wanted to chime in on my next mod? Not sure where to go really.

-Outback console, UHF, dual aerials (UHF & 3G)
-Steinbauer chip and cut the muffler out
-rock sliders and scrub bars
-rear air locker
-long range tank
-MR diff drop and bash plates

Packeteer-

#1 Yeah good idea! Ill have to look around!

I've had an Oricom 280 for about 18 months, it worked really well until recently (clear, strong signal, no issues). Unfortunately it has started to play up. I don't know if that means the brand is crap, but they have a 3 year warranty, so will see how I go.

My dad said the other day he knows a guy at GME, so he said he'll hook me up with a great one at a really good price, so I think that sealed it for me! having said that if that falls through through ill be hunting around, keen to see how your warranty claim goes as after service support is huge to me!

I'll look into these antennas, what size is good for still getting around in sydney? anyone ever seen/know where to get antenna mounts that can fold down so they're not as obstructing?

#3 ?
Sounds like back of seat is way to go! for now probably going tigerz11, much cheaper than most and seems to quite well in the reviews!

Jaybags-

Thanks mate!

Mf_shifty-

Ahh okay, that's not too bad! i was hoping to do internals of drawers etc, so could add up quickly.. may have a hunt on ebay/gumtree, see what i can get! what kind of glue did you use? contact adhesive?

Also saw an idea of butchers chopping board on back of tailgate to make it bait more kitchen style friendly, probably going to do it in the next week or so! stay tuned for some photos
knoxy

Postby jaybags on Tue, 03 Jun 2014 6:25 +0000

I thought you had a diff drop kit in it already?

If you're planning on going off road soon, i'd look at the bash plate and sliders next.
I've been slack with getting sliders, but the protection will give you good peace of mind.
Cheers,
Jay

jaybags

Postby knoxy on Tue, 03 Jun 2014 6:35 +0000

I've got like a snake racing 1" diff drop

http://snakeracing.com.au/store/hilux-d ... -2341.html

Something like this I believe.. As i understand it, the more lift, the more diff you want to drop- as i've about 3" up front, no doubt a 3" drop would be even better for my diff?

Yep, That's my thinking.. I've put my hand up for some sliders in the group buy, but with bash plates if long term i'm going with the MR diff drop ill need to purchase from them.. Any advice on sliders? are MR ones just as good as most sliders? the ARB ones for instance? $800 for the MR/buds customs seems a lot for some steel, i know good protection is expensive but best value is what i'm after...
knoxy

Postby jaybags on Tue, 03 Jun 2014 6:51 +0000

I'm no mechanic, so correct me if i'm wrong (anyone), but your CV's are still pretty safe up to a 2" lift. So a 1" diff drop would take enough pressure off them to keep them in tact with no issues. I think the MR diff would work have as much effect as the snake racing kit in your case.

Buds are pretty sweet, and are pretty damn solid, it's a get what you pay for I think.
Though most places will sting you about $700 - $800 for sliders. Raslarr also make a pretty neat set.
ARB's are more steps, not sure how they perform off-road.

The alternative would be to make your own, quite a few on here have.

Did you also end up sorting your 0-offset issues out?
I also had major issues with 15x8 0-offsets. Got infinity's wheels and all issues vanished. ;)
Cheers,
Jay

jaybags

Postby knoxy on Tue, 03 Jun 2014 7:07 +0000

Ahhh okay, well that makes me feel a bit better about the whole issue then.. May put that bit of kit further back on the list then!

Yeah, I guess you're probably right- haven't seen Raslarrs ones but my mechanic says buds are the way to go, so to buds ill probably go! You don't happen to know if they're something must guys could do at home do you? installing costs would be another annoyance haha…

yeah, i'm by no means a steel worker, i can't imagine anything I build steel wise even remotely resembling a good product hahah.

Yep, sorted it finally- had to fit 50mm spacers in front, remove the front mudguards and do a front body chop to finally have no issues with the offset. Then fit flares to bring them inside the bodywork. SHouldve done more research into wheels before going for them I think! ah well, i'm happy with them now :)
knoxy

Postby jaybags on Wed, 04 Jun 2014 7:21 +0000

Installing would be easy - get a jack and bolt them up.
Making them though, some say it's easy, though I'm in the same boat as you. Don't know how to work with steel.

That sounds quite a lot of work to fit 32", especially with a lift. I take it they wouldn't fit over your caliper, might have been cheaper and easier just returning the wheels and getting ones that fit. What part of the body did you need to chop?
Got pics? Usually it's just a matter of adjusting your castor and taking your front flaps off.
Cheers,
Jay

jaybags

Postby nicebike on Wed, 04 Jun 2014 8:17 +0000

50mm spacers ?? :shock: :shock:
nicebike

Postby knoxy on Wed, 04 Jun 2014 6:21 +0000

yeah, Ill probably get buds with the tax return!

yep, it was serious work. no idea, they actually fitted just a lot of scrubbing issues, inner guard mainly. too far towards the rear.. spoke to a few guys, they said take the flaps then chop the front, i don't have any photos of my chop but i've found these online

http://www.vehiclemods.net.au/bodymount-chop

That's what i've got.. should've taken them back, but didn't. all finished now.. what's done is done, apparently i'll have no issues with 33"s now but!

nice bike, yep. I know. 50mm spacers. they're huge, i've asked lovells about some 86mm front gas struts to suit my front, but yep. I know the issues, i know the dangers, please don't have a go at me! I'm working on fixing it.

EDIT: could be 35mm spacers, ill ask mechanic in morn.
knoxy

Postby knoxy on Sun, 07 Dec 2014 6:28 +0000

Woah, it's been a long time! Had to take a few months off as savings were going down the drain. This site is killer for your cash! Also blew up my laptop on accident, but that's another story. I thought I'd post an update, as I've made some pretty serious upgrades to the truck I'm sure you'd all like to see!

Firstly, been hunting for awhile and picked up this little steal off eBay, got it for the bargain price of $200 and started work. Grinded the whole thing back and started painting her in KBS coatings "matte black", whilst at the same time I ordered some tool boxes from "G7", two1500 long full size boxes, perfect for my tools for work (carpenter).

sold the canopy tub and drawers. Bloke from the Central Coast came for them and he took them for work, he was stoked!

Car looked pretty good without the canopy I must say, but once I could tee up a few blokes, we took the tub off and loaded the ether tray on! The toolboxes hadn't arrived just yet, so it was just the tray that weekend. Wasn't too much of an issue, as that week I didn't have the ute Anyhow! I'd booked her in for some time at ultimate, where Ken looked after me and I got a 3" lift kit installed in place of my loveless gvm upgrade. All up I got new rear shocks, rebuilt front shocks, new springs, resorting rear leaves setup for my rear weight and super pro UCAs. The car handles like a dream now and I'm so stoked with it!

Tool boxes arrived and managed to get them on the same day I got back the ute back from ken and the boys!

A few weeks later ordered a secondary fuel filter, diff breathers as well as a catch can, got those put in to show the engine a bit of love. Very happy with how the install went and can drive a little easier knowing the engine is a little better protected!

Ordered some gear from Matty at MR, the new lift kit from ultimate did some serious angles to the cvs, so got a diff relocation kit and the accompanying bash plates! Got that all put in a few weeks before I finally got to take her off-road again, the new suspension and the confidence in a proper lift with diff drop over spacers and just the little diff spacer meantime was really into it, probably got a little bit too into it and managed to get myself very,very stuck. Non issue but, winch sucked the car straight out!

Next on the list is to save up for some rock sliders and scrub bars, very far away as I really need to buy a new laptop asap, but it'll, come! Also spoke to the old man and for Christmas he's tee'd me up a GME TX3120s, their AE4018K3 aerial and a bracketed mount to the bar, so I'll be installing that in the new year, the mrs has also said she'd get me something solid too so that could have huge potential!

Id like to thank Ken & Brendan, the car is like new, so stoked!
I'd also like to thank matty at muddiggers 4x4 in mona for everything else, great prices and so, so helpful!
Let me know your thoughts, comments, criticisms and ideas for gear to get! Always happy to hear thoughts.

Cheers,
Alex
knoxy

Next

Return to Member Build Ups