Rockets New Build - Power Up

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Rockets New Build - Power Up

Postby ktm300 on Fri, 13 Nov 2015 8:25 +0000

Sounds like a great outcome .well done your hard work payed off .
ktm300

Postby Rocket55 on Mon, 16 Nov 2015 6:51 +0000

Update from the weekend. Bit of a relief to have it running again, so decided to tackle a few other jobs that need sorting out. Started out by installing a couple of 8 B&S power supplies to the 12 pin plug for the caravan fridge and the Anderson plug for charging van batteries. These were run through relays and triggered by an ignition source so they are only active when the ignition is on.

Then I installed my Redarc Tow Pro trailer brake controller. I put it in the blank on the right hand side on the gauge light dimmer. Came up pretty good I think.

Also installed the Brakesafe battery monitor, apparently you need on of these... Dearest bloody volt meter I've ever bought....

So then on the Sunday I set about righting a pretty embarrassing wrong from the other week. Started off by removing the bonnet and placing it to the side, out of bloody sight!!

Placed the "other" bonnet on and marked out the position of the intercoooler. Removed it and placed it on a couple of stands.

Then set about cutting a new hole straight through the middle of it, this time in a more appropriate location and size.

Turned it over and removed some of the bracing next to the hole to allow the cooler to seal up neatly on the bonnet.

Put the template on the bonnet and set the back of the scoop 12mm from the back of the bonnet after receiving advice from Bob at Fairline, he's a super bloke. This means that only a couple of the bolt holes land in awkward locations. Drilled out all the holes, opened up those in the bracing with a step drill and then painted all the fresh edges. I'll sit the bonnet back on during the week or next weekend, haven't decided yet. It kinda looks pretty cool with a black bonnet, I'll get some pics after.
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bitumen ...... another waste of public funds
Rocket55

Postby apSlain on Tue, 17 Nov 2015 7:51 +0000

Keen to see the car with the black bonnet, and lovin' the project thus far. With all the work you've done/are doing, I'm assuming it's not your daily driver?

Rocket55 wrote:Also installed the Brakesafe battery monitor, apparently you need on of these... Dearest bloody volt meter I've ever bought...

Just a question on this - I've got a speedo corrector module that I'm looking to mount somewhere. How'd you mount this to the panel there?
Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

Postby Rocket55 on Tue, 17 Nov 2015 10:36 +0000

apSlain wrote:Keen to see the car with the black bonnet, and lovin' the project thus far. With all the work you've done/are doing, I'm assuming it's not your daily driver?

Just a question on this - I've got a speedo corrector module that I'm looking to mount somewhere. How'd you mount this to the panel there?

Thanks mate, it's taking some time that's for sure. It's not really my daily driver, I do have another means of transport while I tinker away at this one. As for mounting the Brakesafe unit down on the side of the centre console, I just used double sided tape. Gave the plastic a quick wipe down in the local area and on the back of the unit with some contact cleaner which doesn't leave any residue, then stuck it in place, solid as rock.
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Rocket55

Postby apSlain on Tue, 17 Nov 2015 11:35 +0000

Rocket55 wrote:Thanks mate, it's taking some time that's for sure. It's not really my daily driver, I do have another means of transport while I tinker away at this one. As for mounting the Brakesafe unit down on the side of the centre console, I just used double sided tape. Gave the plastic a quick wipe down in the local area and on the back of the unit with some contact cleaner which doesn't leave any residue, then stuck it in place, solid as rock.

Cheers, thought it was double-sided tape. Is there a particular brand or type you'd recommend above others? I've got some 3M tape from Bunnings laying around but I don't know how much I trust it with this job. Dunno where I'd source their VHB stuff either.
apSlain

Postby Rocket55 on Tue, 17 Nov 2015 2:01 +0000

I just used the stuf they supplied with the product.
Cheers Rod
Rocket55

Postby Rocket55 on Tue, 17 Nov 2015 8:39 +0000

Needed to use the wagon tomorrow so I threw the bonnet and scoop back on tonight. I put one of those foot stools on the radiator support panel being careful not to squash anything to important, this allowed me with the help of an apprentice (aka my wife) to lift the bonnet into position. I could then release my apprentice thus keeping in favour with my apprentice and complete the bonnet install by myself. I used a piece of pool pipe to support the bonnet until I could get the struts back on.

Dressed the bonnet with some windscreen washer nozzles, tubing, rubber stoppers and the weather strip, then set about bolting the scoop back on. Came up pretty good.

Still not convinced on the black bonnet, but I'll see how I go with it over the next couple of weeks, it might grow on me.

While I was going I installed a set of LED front Parker globes I picked up a while ago and while I was under there I spotted an oil leak which was traced back to the front steering dampener. Seems the weld around the end of the dampener has split. Possibly due to the body of the shock hitting the bars and the eye getting yanked around a bit further, either way it's buggered and depositing oil on the front bars and diff. Time for a new one. Am I better off keeping the eye to eye set up or going to a pin to pin arrangement?
Cheers Rod
Rocket55

Postby pisso01 on Wed, 18 Nov 2015 3:18 +0000

I recon you got to paint that bonnet.
My touring Lux - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7795 - Nearly finished
pisso01

Postby apSlain on Wed, 18 Nov 2015 6:21 +0000

Thanks for the answers :)
Rocket55 wrote:Still not convinced on the black bonnet, but I'll see how I go with it over the next couple of weeks, it might grow on me.

Yeah, gotta go with pisso01, not keen on bonnet.
apSlain

Postby Rocket55 on Wed, 18 Nov 2015 2:37 +0000

haha it's only undercoat, personally I hate it and it will be getting painted white at the first opportunity.
Cheers Rod
Rocket55

Postby 07luxyTD on Thu, 19 Nov 2015 11:19 +0000

So what went wrong with the first install of the scope and needing to turn the bonnet into panda datsun?
"Lucky you weren't cut off by my stihl"

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=13794
My Landcruiser Build http://www.newlandcruiser.net/phpbb/vie ... 90&start=0
07luxyTD

Postby Rocket55 on Thu, 19 Nov 2015 2:12 +0000

I cut the hole to the size of the scoop as opposed to the size of the intercooler :oops: :oops:

Air doesn't get forced through the cooler, but easily bypasses it rendering it some what inefficient.
Cheers Rod
Rocket55

Postby packeteer on Thu, 19 Nov 2015 2:35 +0000

looking good Rod.

are you coming out this weekend?
2011 Dual Cab SR5 D4D manual.
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby Rocket55 on Thu, 19 Nov 2015 4:17 +0000

Thanks Craig. Probably not as my clutch is only just hanging in there.
Cheers Rod
Rocket55

Postby dan9245 on Thu, 19 Nov 2015 6:02 +0000

rod ill push you up hills in my 3l commonrail pooey ;)
dan9245

Postby oggy on Sun, 22 Nov 2015 5:53 +0000

Rocket55 wrote:I cut the hole to the size of the scoop as opposed to the size of the intercooler :oops: :oops:

Air doesn't get forced through the cooler, but easily bypasses it rendering it some what inefficient.

And you took the girls way out.....should have sent that inter cooler back and got a bigger one to fit the hole. Damn things too small anyway :roll: that's the problem with Datsun owners...no imagination :lol:
Occupational health and safety officers..Stop messin with Darwin's theory of natural selection... Stupid hippies.

Oggy's build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=19033
oggy

Postby Rocket55 on Sun, 22 Nov 2015 6:08 +0000

:lol: :lol: :lol: but we believe we can fly

Cheers Rod
Rocket55

Postby Rocket55 on Sun, 22 Nov 2015 8:24 +0000

Went for drive up the road this afternoon to get some dinner, on the way home I home I managed to blow an intercooler pipe off. I wasn't trying that hard, was probably somewhere around 14-16psi. Wholly hell didn't it go off with a bang, sounded like a bomb went off, also happened to occur right out the front of the local Police station :shock: :shock: As I cruised to a stop on the side of the road, I thought here we go, I was expecting a heap of cops to come out guns drawn. Hmm bit of a bummer and not a tool on board.

So give the lovely wife a call, explain what's happened tell her to come up and get the dinner to take home, also get her to grab the 1/4 drive socket set and a tin of silicon spray. A few minute later she turns up and takes dinner home, I put the pipe back on and checked the other clamps and a few of them were a bit loose. Anyway it drove better on the way home, blew less smoke and made less noise, so I'm guessing it must have been leaking a bit.

As a result I just bought a set of these off evil bay which will hopefully solve the problem long term.

Cheers Rod
Rocket55

Postby TOYZX on Sun, 22 Nov 2015 8:48 +0000

Have all the ends of each pipe been rolled? Maybe ya clamp was a bit stripped when ya did it up then it wouldn't take much to pop it off. Oh at least that's all it was!
TOYZX

Postby Rocket55 on Mon, 23 Nov 2015 5:16 +0000

Yes all the pipe ends are rolled, the only one that's not is the turbo itself. It went off like a connon and scared the crap out of me. :?
Cheers Rod
Rocket55

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups