Turbo V6 1GR Build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Turbo V6 1GR Build

Postby 4.0V6T on Fri, 10 Jan 2014 10:28 +0000

G'day all, I thought I would share my turbo v6 hilux build as I have used this forum a fair bit without ever contributing. I will try step out the build so it can help others build there own. I am going to post the build in sections over time otherwise it will take too long to type/post, so bare with me.

This first post is Fabrication.

It all started with a high km (220,000km) 2006 4x4 dual cab petrol v6 hilux which I brought specifically for the purpose.

First step was to remove all the factory intake and exhaust manifolds and start to fabricate the turbo manifolds. I decided to use normal black pipe butt weld fittings to make the manifolds from. I cut the flanges off the standard exhaust. The turbo is mounted on the drivers side so I also needed a crossover pipe from the passenger side exhaust manifold to the drivers side manifold. This was made from 2” stainless tube. Here are some shots of the passenger side manifold. In hindsight I should have just brought an off the shelf passenger side set of extractors.

Off the ute and painted in exhaust paint.

On the ute trial before paint.

Here are a few pics of the drivers side exhaust manifold/turbo collector. Note where the passenger side exhaust enters the collector from beneath. Also note the external waste gate take off and turbo flange. As with most of my build its not pretty though it does the job.

Off the engine.

On the engine.

Next step was to dummy mount the turbo (Garrett gt35/40) and fabricate the dump pipe and external waste gate entry into exhaust. Care was taken to still be able to remove spark plugs with turbo, waste gate and dump pipe still in place. Care was also taken to ensure gearbox could be removed with crossover pipe and dump pipe still in place. If starting this build from scratch I would use an internal gated turbo depending on power goals, it would have made the build much easier. I think an XR6 internal gate turbo would be ideal for someone chasing modest power. I only used the gt35/40 as I had one lying around.

All Tacked up.

Fully WeldedImage
(don’t laugh at my welds, nothing a bit of heat wrap won’t hide)

I continued the 3” dump pipe down the same place the standard drivers side exhaust goes and put a 3” cat in for legal reasons. I then just brought a 3” diesel cat back exhaust off the shelf to save myself some time. I couldn’t find a 3” petrol one. It lined up with all the standard exhaust hangers.

Next step was to build and mount the intercooler and hook up plumbing. The intercooler was a garrett core which I made end tanks for. All plumbing was 3” tig welded stainless tube. I mounted the intercooler where the winch goes on a standard Toyota bull bar.

Here is the finish product as it stands now with all plumbing and exhaust hooked up and engine cowl on.

Next post will be engine management.
4.0V6T

Re: Turbo V6 1GR Build

Postby Hilux Max on Fri, 10 Jan 2014 11:31 +0000

awesome mate - been hanging for someone local to do this.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby 4.0V6T on Fri, 10 Jan 2014 11:49 +0000

Engine Management

After investigation into various types of ecu’s around piggy backs and stand alone, including some of the American plug in ecu’s for the Tacoma. I decided to go with a stand alone.

In the end I went with Vipec as they had been installed before in some supercharged hilux’s with success and they could control fly by wire throttle and variable valve timing. I also acquired the base map from the vipec dealer for a supercharged hilux which is a big help.

When I got the base map I installed the vipec software on my computer and wrote down all the inputs and outputs and copied them when wiring it in my ute. I have kept most of my wiring notes I had for anyone who has questions on wiring.

After a weekend of wiring, I cranked the engine over and it started first try although it was a bit rough. After adjusting the main fuel calibration number it idled perfectly.

I also purchased an Innovate Wide Band a/f meter LM2 and wired it directly into the ecu. This allows you to use the self tuning modes and enable closed loop control on a/f ratio when cruising.

After a while I tuned the ute good enough for every day driving which allowed me to sort out the fuel system, clutch and a few other things before I got it dyno tuned.

Fuel System upgrade

I used a set of 80lb siemens VDO injectors. I had to take the bottom O ring off the VDO injectors and use a different style of O ring to fit the Toyota manifold.

I used an Aeromotive Stealth 340 intank fuel pump. There were a few traps for young players here. Firstly when removing the retaining nut off the top of the fuel tank I snapped it trying to use a hammer and a screw driver to tap it off. I recommend using a piece of timber instead of a screw driver or a proper C spanner etc (A new retaining nut was $100 odd bucks)

I gutted the standard pump out of the carrier and cut the wires off the plug to reuse and soldered it to the new pump. I then mounted the new pump and filter sock in the pump carrier using cable ties. I also cut some big rectangular holes in the carrier/surge tank area to allow more fuel to flow into the carrier. Sorry I never took photos, it would have explained it easier.

Now note when wiring up this pump you must not use the Toyota resistive pump speed control. I burnt out my first pump after a couple of days as the aeromotive pump does not like voltage speed control.

I run new 3/8 fuel hose to and from the tank and put an inline filter in the supply line. (Got rid of factory filter). At the fuel rail I change to way the fuel flowed through it. The standard fuel circuit flows though all 6 injectors in series. I teed the supply and made it two banks of 3 injectors. This I felt would have less pressure drop over the fuel system and each injector should see similar pressures. I had to use a few different types of fitting and reduces to hook up all the 3/8 lines to the standard 5/16 hose tails on the fuel rails and fuel tank, I can post details if needed.

From the back of each fuel rail it is then plumbed into a Fuel Lab fuel regulator. I also installed a fuel pressure sensor into the regulator and wired it into the Vipec to allow me to monitor/log fuel pressure to check for any drops in fuel pressure.
4.0V6T

Postby dano85 on Fri, 10 Jan 2014 11:50 +0000

Sweet!
dano85

Postby mattwhite on Fri, 10 Jan 2014 12:28 +0000

Straight up, fast 4wds don't interest me. But complete admiration for your work and problem solving. Love it.
mattwhite

Postby 4.0V6T on Fri, 10 Jan 2014 12:41 +0000

Clutch

I knew an off the shelf heavy duty clutch was not going to stand up to the task here, and I didn’t was to risk putting one in and have it slip a week later so I gave the guys at NPC clutches in Brisbane a call. They could provide a few options. In the end I got a kit which included a custom flywheel which allowed the installation of a bigger pressure plate. What they didn’t tell me was the mucking around I would have trying to get the new heavy pressure plate to disengage.

Pics of new fly wheel

After pulling the box out and installing the fly wheel and clutch I put every thing back together. After starting the ute I couldn’t get the clutch to disengage. Looking at the slave cylinder I though it might be out of stroke so I got another push rod machined up 20mm longer to see if that helped. Still nothing.

I borrowed an endo scope from work to have a look at the friction plate and clutch fork to see if it was all in order and it seemed alright. Next I moved to the master cylinder and noticed a little bit of fluid getting push back up into the reservoir when the pedal was pushed. So I got a new master cylinder and bled the system. Still nothing. I decided to pull the box out again and measure every component of the kit and compare it with the Toyota clutch. It was all pretty close within a few mm.

Any how long story short I read on new hilux that our utes have a clutch accumulator. So I ripped it out and through it in the bin, using existing clutch line and undoing a few of the saddles in the engine bay I could stretch the clutch line enough to hook it straight into the slave cylinder. I bled the system and the clutch would just disengage with the pedal on the floor and the floor mat out. It wasn’t really practical.

The master cylinder rod was just out of adjustment so after lengthening the clevis I pulled out the clutch pedal ground off a few lugs, threw the turnout spring in the bin and I gained another 10 to 15mm stroke from the master cylinder. This made the clutch disengage at a more practical position though the clutch pedal sticks up about a half inch higher then the brake pedal now. Something I have learnt to live with.

Without the turnout spring and with the stiffer pressure plate the clutch pedal is a bit harder to press though I wouldn’t say excessive or anything.
4.0V6T

Postby 4.0V6T on Fri, 10 Jan 2014 1:21 +0000

Here is the chart from the first dyno tune. The tuner said he was pretty conservative when he tuned it.

Max Power 253rwkw and torque 901N.m at about 8 or 9psi.
4.0V6T

Postby 06lux on Fri, 10 Jan 2014 2:02 +0000

Nice work man. Sign me up for one ;)
FOR SALE
complete standard suspension
2x 265/70/15 general grabber at2 (not on rims)
P
06lux

Postby jakelux on Fri, 10 Jan 2014 2:13 +0000

Bloody hell nice effort!
Wish i had the room for it.
Not gonna hook up a snorkel?
jakelux

Postby 4.0V6T on Fri, 10 Jan 2014 2:45 +0000

Na no plans for snorkel yet, its only early days though.

Opps I Just realised I have posted in the pre 2005 build ups and not in the post 2005. O well.
Last edited by 4.0V6T on Sat, 11 Jan 2014 5:16 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
4.0V6T

Postby Swinny on Fri, 10 Jan 2014 3:33 +0000

WOW... 901 nm. Nice
Swinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Hilux Max on Fri, 10 Jan 2014 4:28 +0000

How much you rekon the stock bottom end can take? Ive heard quotes of 400-450 before needing upgraded rods and stuff.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby BIGFOOTJR on Fri, 10 Jan 2014 7:44 +0000

Impressive numbers but looks laggy but you did say on the conservative side.

Any reason other than cost you went for a big single and not a twin setup?
BIGFOOTJR

Postby Matty84 on Fri, 10 Jan 2014 9:06 +0000

I was waiting to see someone do this. Great work mate! Love seeing something different :)
Matty84

Postby 4.0V6T on Sat, 11 Jan 2014 5:15 +0000

Hilux Max wrote:How much you rekon the stock bottom end can take? Ive heard quotes of 400-450 before needing upgraded rods and stuff.

Having a look at the Yankee guys builds I think where I am now is probably the limit on the standard motor with a small degree of reliability. However mine having 230 odd thousand on the clock now, it is most probably a ticking time bomb. I don't give it a hammering all day every day though only when there no kids/mrs in the ute. The poor old dog isn't impressed in the tray when I nail it either.

I'm actually a bit curious to see what goes bang first out of motor, g/box, transfer, tail shaft or diff. I think I'd put my money on diff.

BIGFOOTJR wrote:Impressive numbers but looks laggy but you did say on the conservative side.

Any reason other than cost you went for a big single and not a twin setup?

It is a little laggy compare to say when a D4D comes on boost, though you learn how to drive it. Boost starts to come on about 2500 rpm and is all there by 3000 rpm. I don't think that it is much laggier then other factory turbo petrol cars I have owned.

The main reason I used the big GT35/40 is I had it from a previous car along with the intercooler. However I would still go a single again as its easier to fab up and mount everything. You only have half the oil and water lines, intercooler piping etc. It also takes up less room. My battery is still in the standard position and I can still fit dual batteries if I want. I think with twins you would need to mount even the starting battery down the back somewhere.
4.0V6T

Postby Hilux Max on Sun, 12 Jan 2014 11:21 +0000

Question:

Does the new engine management system your running eliminate the O2 sensor fault codes some people get with fitting extractors to the V6's?
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby 4.0V6T on Mon, 13 Jan 2014 5:54 +0000

Hilux Max wrote:Question:

Does the new engine management system your running eliminate the O2 sensor fault codes some people get with fitting extractors to the V6's?

Not really....my Toyota ecu would be throwing that many codes now as I have disconnected most of the engine's sensors from it. Vipec is running everything to do with the engine. It will go into its own limp mode if something is wrong with coolant temp or boost pressure etc.

I have fixed the annoying check engine light though.....just put a pair of side cutters through the MIL wire from the ecu. No more annoying light on dash. One day I will hook the check engine light up to the vipec. You can hook it up so it flashes and you count the flashes to tell whats wrong if you don't have a lap top. Its probably easier just to hook up a lap top rather then trying to learn the vipec morse code.
4.0V6T

Postby kyle300exc on Mon, 13 Jan 2014 11:20 +0000

Moved to correct forum
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby cadeo1 on Mon, 13 Jan 2014 4:05 +0000

This is awsome ive been waiting to see some one do a 4 wd turbo i know of a twin turbo 2 wd in perth but its only a show car! What are you going to do with this car keep it as a fast lux or are you going to be modding it for off road?
cadeo1

Postby 4.0V6T on Mon, 13 Jan 2014 6:10 +0000

cadeo1 wrote:This is awsome ive been waiting to see some one do a 4 wd turbo i know of a twin turbo 2 wd in perth but its only a show car! What are you going to do with this car keep it as a fast lux or are you going to be modding it for off road?

It's definitely going to be a modded 4wd that's for sure. I've owned modded 4x4s before this one being a gu 4.2 patrol and a d4d hilux. However, I have had a few turbo petrol cars too, so I wanted to build something that would be able to take the family for a drive on the beach or a track, go camping etc, and still give a standard SS or wrx a bit of a touch up if required in an emergency...only in an emergency. I'd love to put a big lift and tyres on it though I think it will load up the drive line too much.
4.0V6T

Next

Return to Member Build Ups