Re: Dan's 08' SR5 -2018 UPDATE- hi again everyone!

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Dan's 08' SR5 -2018 UPDATE- hi again everyone!

Postby Blackie2008 on Thu, 30 Aug 2012 4:25 +0000

I probably should have started this about 170 posts ago so bare with me.. this is going to take some work and I hate computers :|

In the beginning:

About a year ago... Newcastle Toyota... this caught my eye and I thought, That'll do!!

Came with the hard cover, 32" MT ATZ's and an alloy bullbar.

Figured I wanted a car that could securely hold all my gear, get me and the missus out onto the beach or up the scrub and tow a few dirt bikes out for a good weekends ride. Not a bad looking rig either...

Then, I got onto the New Hilux forum and the mod bug bit me... :shock:

Started with simple things like the RM Williams mud mats but the more I read the more I had to have.

After a few near misses with the standard brakes an upgrade was looking mandatory and having the 17" Prado wheels the 120 series Prado brake upgrade seemed the best choice. Check out this thread for how that turned out: 8-) viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3663&start=80

Big brakes meant i may as well have some more power and a ChipIt computer came up for for sale in the forum classifieds. I jumped on it and soon had a great little unit making the most out of the D4-D. (thanks rob!!) I fitted that in the driveway and it was straight forward to do. Took about 2 hours to install and link up to the lappy. I also bought a Scan Gauge II on ebay to reset any codes that were thrown up by the chip and help keep an eye on what was going on under the bonnet.

Having the chip led to exhaust upgrades...

Ebay was my friend there as well and before long i had a Scott's Rods 3" mandrel bent, turbo back exhaust delivered to my door for 900 bucks. My golden tip for doing this job is to get some spray on penetrant, spray it on the dump pipe nuts at the back of the turbo and leave them sit for at least a day. I've read about guys having to remove turbos and things to replace studs after trying to take exhausts off and mine came off nice and easy with the help of the penetrant. Again, the replacement was done in the driveway in just over an hour. pieceahpiss!! 8-)

I looked around at canopies for a while and found these guys in Melbourne selling SJS Canopies. It's not bad and pretty good value. Not without its issues though. Any fast dirt work tends to make the canopy migrate rearwards so I think I'll replace the 6 clamps that were supplied and just bolt it straight into the tray. Refer to this thread for the canopy: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=12300

While I was in Melbourne I stopped into an Autobahn store to see if they had any UniFilter air cleaners in stock. They didn't have any but I found a K&N filter on their clearance table so I snapped that up put it straight in. The return trip showed a very minor performance increase... I like the fact that I can clean it whenever I like. That's it's main advantage.

More eBay trolling uncovered a full set of custom Rough Country seat covers. They're neat, comfy, look pretty good and should keep the stock SR5 seats in good condition.

After using my magna to get some long lengths of steel home from work instead of the lux one day I figured I better sort out some roof racks. I went down to the local ARB store and ordered a set of HD Rhino racks. 2 for the roof of the cab and a 3rd for the top of the canopy.
I installed them myself and simply followed the rhino-rack installation guide. There's a couple of threads floating around where we talked about how to put them on. I'll find a link later (reminder)

A special that someone mentioned here on the forum led to purchasing an LED light bar. I went with a 22" 40LED unit (8000 lumens) to fit between the uprights on the alloy bullbar. I drilled 4 holes in the bar and wired up to the existing driving light wiring. Cheating I know but it was so simple :D Massive improvement over the stock high beams.

A recent camping and 4x4 trip really showed me how... 'urban' my lux really was. Tracks were wet and muddy and with a slight uphill on some clay and mud our convoy came to a halt. Half worn MT ATZ's and no winch meant we weren't going any further and while there were other cars with us with even more of a handicap, I was inspired to improve the car.

Another trip to Melbourne to return with another eBay purchase... A near new ARB Sahara bar which came with all new mounts, plates, bolts and wiring. It already had the optional ARB metallic black paint but the colour wasn't quite right and I managed to do a deal with a local spray painting shop to have it colour coded at short notice if I did the prep work. Too easy :)
While that was being done I ordered a Runva 12000lb winch with dyneema rope to be fitted when I got the bar back. Wolf4x4 are a forum sponsor and they do a good deal through their website and I was impressed with their speedy delivery.
As you can see in the pic, the orientation of the gear handle just wasn't right and my first mission was to take the winch apart to get it right. Easy enough job too, just unto the two cross beams behind the drum and she splits in three. Undo the 10 or so (3-4mm) bolts on the gear-set case, reposition the gasket and bulkhead and put it all back together. (Hot tip: don't forget to put the drive shaft back in and put some quality grease on the drive gear - mine didn't have any)
My mate that helped my install the bar picked up an issue with the location of the drain hole/earth point and also set about fixing it.
The winch motor isn't sealed from factory and comes out of the box with the drain port in the horizontal (half full) position. To rectify we undid the two bolts at the end of the motor, took the end cover off and repositioned the motor in a similar fashion to the gear set end. A good slather of RTV sealant during re-assembly should help keep the dirt, dust and water out of the motor. Having the drain port at the bottom will enable good drainage too. Hopefully our improvements don't adversely affect my warranty...

A quiet but windy Saturday afternoon in the hangar saw the fitting of the bar completed... We glanced at the ARB installation guide a few times to check on a few things and fitting it was fairly straight forward. Having a crane to hold the weight of the bar is the best thing to help get the bar lined up. By the end of the day we had it spot on and I was pretty chuffed with our efforts. I've seen worse jobs straight out of professional workshops.
During the week I wired it up and made it look good. Well, as good as I could.. I still need to sort out an isolator switch and finish off the custom hawse brackets I've knocked up.
With the winch bolted in and at its highest possible mounting point, the cable opening still encroaches on the hawse opening. I figured the best way around this problem was to bring the hawse forward on a custom bracket. This also ensured the rope would never rub on the bullbar when winching on more acute angles.

Enter the realm of 33's...

Many weeks of research and asking lots of people questions about what works on these cars paid off last weekend.
Max at monster rides sourced a set of 17x8 +10 Dynamic steel wheels. And I sourced a set of 285x70x17 BFG KM2's
A carton of coldies to a mate and I had them assembled and ready to go.
Saturday finally arrived and I set to work, cutting and trimming and beating the inner guard into the shape it needed to be to fit these things in. Everything I did can be found on the 'fitting 33" tyres" thread.
Many thanks to Josh, Mick, Max and everyone else that helped me get this sorted.

To say I'm stoked about how good this thing looks now is an understatement. 8-)

I think that's about it...

Cheers

Dan.
Last edited by Blackie2008 on Tue, 11 Sep 2018 8:22 +0000, edited 6 times in total.
Dan.

08' SR5 Dual Cab, Manual, Prado brake upgrade, 33" KM2's, DMS MR Rekon Stage II, MMKD, Stage 2 GTurbo, HPD FMIC, NPC Clutch, 360 UHD Gearbox...

Built, not bought

Build thread: http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic ... 41&t=15092
Blackie2008

Re: Dan's 08' SR5 - now in the correct section!

Postby white_hilux on Thu, 30 Aug 2012 5:21 +0000

looks great mate. got anymore plans for the future?
Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab
2" lift, 32" Bighorns, F & R Diff Locked, Rock sliders, TJM Bullbar and Winch

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
white_hilux

Postby fullhouse on Thu, 30 Aug 2012 6:03 +0000

nice one mate
fullhouse

Postby Blackie2008 on Thu, 30 Aug 2012 8:10 +0000

Thanks guys!

I bought a few lengths of 40mm tube to make some sliders up a while back but I think I've gone overboard. It's the the thick wall stuff and it weighs a ton! There's some good ones that guys have made on the forum and I'll use them as a guide. Just tossing up whether to press on with the heavy gauge stuff or but some medium wall steel..
Dan.

08' SR5 Dual Cab, Manual, Prado brake upgrade, 33" KM2's, DMS MR Rekon Stage II, MMKD, Stage 2 GTurbo, HPD FMIC, NPC Clutch, 360 UHD Gearbox...

Built, not bought

Blackie2008

Postby Blackie2008 on Tue, 04 Sep 2012 9:24 +0000

Finished off the splash guards this arvo. Ended up getting a bit creative with the washer bottle and inner guard. Basically I made a cut in the new bend to retain the standard inner guard mount and then bent it back over to match the rest of the plate. This also helped me get around the washer bottle motor as best as possible.
First pics show how I went about trimming the excess metal away where to bend it.
Job done.

On a separate topic... Clearance between the tyre and body mount is oh so close. Only just rubbing...
Dan.

Built, not bought

Blackie2008

Postby Loosey on Tue, 04 Sep 2012 9:46 +0000

Have you got the rekon kit and UCA's?
You should be able to get a wheel alignment and adjust the castor to hopefully give you more clearence from the bodymount
Aaron

Introductory Thread | My Shed | My Build
2007 Silver SR5 D/C D4D Upgrade
Loosey

Postby Blackie2008 on Wed, 05 Sep 2012 8:50 +0000

Loosey wrote:Have you got the rekon kit and UCA's?
You should be able to get a wheel alignment and adjust the castor to hopefully give you more clearence from the bodymount

Nah mate just the spacers, the rest is stock. I was just doing some research and it looks like I have Snake Racing strut spacers not coil spacers so those will be coming out ASAP.

Think I'll be doing the suspension sooner than I thought.

Being that I do wheel this thing, I don't want to be in this situation of running the risk of breaking the front suspension any longer than I need to. I'm kind of annoyed that Toyota sell cars with gear like this fitted without making the buyer aware of what risks are associated with their use.

Rekon here I come... What to buy? :P
Dan.

Built, not bought

Blackie2008

Postby Loosey on Thu, 06 Sep 2012 1:27 +0000

Well, the UCA's allow for more castor adjustment, so you can bring your wheels forward and away from your body mount...

Stage 2 rekon would probably be the go...
No idea on leafs in the rear as it depends on alot of things, i've heard Ultimate are supposed to be pretty good
Aaron

Loosey

Postby 06lux on Thu, 06 Sep 2012 2:25 +0000

If you carry load peddlers heavy duty and reckon shocks give a comfortable ride.
FOR SALE
complete standard suspension
2x 265/70/15 general grabber at2 (not on rims)
P
06lux

Postby Blackie2008 on Sun, 09 Sep 2012 6:27 +0000

I was hoping the diff brackets would bring the wheels forward enough and this to not need the expense of getting UCA's as well.

I don't carry much day to day and I when I do go away wheeling I'll usually leave everything at camp.

Are the Rekon rear shocks designed to match a particular set of springs?
Dan.

Built, not bought

Blackie2008

Postby Hilux Max on Mon, 10 Sep 2012 9:52 +0000

Dont forget if the tyres "just" rub at ride height, they will scrub hard once compressed offroad damaging tyres.

I;d reccomend trying to do something about getting more castor adjustment ability from alignment. Happy to help with rekon enquiries if you need them.

Tuff setup...now lets get her working properly.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Blackie2008 on Mon, 10 Sep 2012 12:46 +0000

PM sent.
Dan.

Built, not bought

Blackie2008

Postby helmut79 on Mon, 10 Sep 2012 1:43 +0000

When are we going out to Wallaroo for a wheel dan?
Mick
FCCW

“This is anger management......I’m channelling it into something and then I destroy it!”

My Build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6869

New Member Sandpit viewforum.php?f=83
helmut79

Postby Blackie2008 on Mon, 10 Sep 2012 2:14 +0000

After the 21st buddy! Gotta get this alignment sorted first :)
Dan.

Built, not bought

Blackie2008

Postby Hilux Max on Mon, 10 Sep 2012 2:31 +0000

Dan,

for reference, heres a pic of the clearance between my tyre and the bodymount when I was running the factory UCA's. Tyres are Silverstone MT117 Sport on zero offset 16x8 wheels.

I reversed the hilux up onto a 5 ft high mound. LHR up on mound forcing weight onto RHF.
Full compression, full lock, brand new tyres and 6mm bumpstop spacer fitted.

It "just" cleared the mount. I never had a problem offroad with it touching.

You've got slightly narrower tyre (overall) and 10mm less offset. With a good alignment you should be sweet with clearance against the mount. You may have to trim inner guard plastic/flare but once done will work.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Blackie2008 on Tue, 11 Sep 2012 5:15 +0000

Thanks for that Max, thanks for the call yesterday too :) much appreciated.

I'll order the stage one kit soon and have the original rear leafs reset for extra height. Once that's fitted I'll go and find an engineer to make it all legal!

Once it's been engineered and I move to Queensland, do I then have to get it re-engineered?
Dan.

Built, not bought

Blackie2008

Postby Anth D on Thu, 13 Sep 2012 5:47 +0000

Looks tough mate!

Do you happen to have an after shot of the clearance after the castor adjust/alignment?
Anth D

Postby Loosey on Thu, 13 Sep 2012 9:55 +0000

Hey mate,

In regards to your scangauge mounting

How did you mount it, and do you have an detailed pictures, or would you be able to show me (I also live in Newcastle)

RE:

How did you go about knocking these up?
I would be interested in a pair of these also.
Aaron

Loosey

Postby Blackie2008 on Fri, 14 Sep 2012 5:56 +0000

Anth D wrote:Looks tough mate!

Do you happen to have an after shot of the clearance after the castor adjust/alignment?

I will once it's gets done. It goes into pro axle on the 21st. There was a 3 week wait just to get an alignment so their expertise is well sort after. Hope it's worth the wait.
Dan.

Built, not bought

Blackie2008

Postby Blackie2008 on Fri, 14 Sep 2012 6:05 +0000

Loosey wrote:Hey mate,

In regards to your scangauge mounting

How did you mount it, and do you have an detailed pictures, or would you be able to show me (I also live in Newcastle)

RE:

How did you go about knocking these up?
I would be interested in a pair of these also.

It's all too easy mate lol. The scan gauge comes with two bits of Velcro tape and I positioned it just in front of the cluster on the steering column. Run the cable into the side port on the gauge (it has two to choose from). I came up from underneath the dash with the cable and ran it between the dash and the steering column. It's neat and you can tie the excess cable up under the dash.

The hawse brackets, they're made with two bits of angle welded together to make a basic C channel. Then the tricky part is getting the mounting holes far enough apart to give you the distance you need for the hawse. I welded the nuts for the hawse onto the bracket like anchor nuts.
I'll get some better pics when I take it off and finish it properly.
Dan.

Built, not bought

Blackie2008

Next

Return to Member Build Ups