Turnerhutch '07 Dualcab Tray - First 7,000k's CANOPY & RACK

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Turnerhutch '07 Dualcab Tray - First 7,000k's CANOPY & RACK

Postby turnerhutch on Mon, 27 Aug 2012 8:31 +0000

Firstly thanks to all you guys for al the realy good, usefull info on the site. Made buying my UTE heaps easier!!

Bought my first hilux just over 1 month ago. 2007 SR Dual cab Trayback. So far fully impressed with it. I've come over from owning an 88 Pootrol (which I still love but which has passed on to new owners!) which handled just about everything. It got a bit too uncomfortable and way too slow and uneconomical for my liking so after mch debate, we (missus and I) decided to get the hulix. This is it the first day!

We had a trip planned to Exmouth within a week and had Lou's mum and little bro over so had to get a few things set up real quick. First up was a canopy and rack. This was a fairly standard design from Dutchy's in Gero but in a new canvas which I am well pleased with. I've had fly screens put into the sides too for when we get a pup. At the same time I fitted a Featherlight awning to the underside of the rack.

Next up was an aux battery and tray. The ARB tray was a cinch to fit and I've gone the Redarc DC-DC charger which I've mounted to the side of the battery tray. From this I've run a Pos and Neg to a fuse/distribution block in the tray. The mounting is temporary at the moment untill I build my drawer/rack system. From this I've got my Waeco 50 fridge temp wired and a compressor.

Here's a couple of pics of our first camp set ups. Amazed at how much stuff you can fit in the tray. We were all in 4 adults in the cab and enough camping gear for all of us in the back with heaps of room to spare. AWESOME!

I think we averaged about 13-14lt/100km at about 120kph. Does this sound about right to you's? Next thing on the agenda is now the 110,000k service first and probably an ultima yellow top as my aux is stuffed!

So, MY plans are as follows (in rough order...)'

3" lift
265x75x16's
Flares
Diff breathers
XROX "style" bar
Sliders
3" exhaust
Chip
Spotties
CB
LED tray and work/camp lights
Custom drawer/rack in tray
Rewire all ancilleries to come off Aux. batt inc stereo and int lights
Long range tank
Under tray water storeage

I would love to get out and about so any others of you on here in Gero say hi and if you fancy a wheel let me know. I'm not very experienced at this (besides beach driving) so would love some teaching. That said, the lux has been in 4wd EVERY weekend since I got her!

I'd love to have other peoples input into the mods I carry out so if there are things that you guys think I should do to help witht the running and longevity of my truck PLEASE chip in. Feel free to add to my list to give me guidance.

Couple of questions...
After this service am I good to do my own?
What fuel/oil precautions/mods do you guys recommend i should do as a must?
I'm keen on the Xrox bar, i think it looks the dogs on the ones I've seen in town but...I'd like a bit of protection around my lights. Guys with these bars, how do you reckon you'll go with protection from the prolific wildlife? I run up to Exmouth on a semi regular basis!

Any and all feedback greatly appreciated. I love some of the builds you guys have done. Hopefully I'll be up there with some of you at some point!
turnerhutch

Re: Turnerhutch '07 Dualcab Tray - First 7,000k's CANOPY & R

Postby andy666 on Tue, 28 Aug 2012 5:54 +0000

Great looking rig mate. And well done knocking that canopy and rack up in only one week.

Just a couple of things about doing your own services.
The 120,000km service includes diff and gearbox oils
The 150,000km service includes the timing belt
Also the early hilux's didn't have a service schedule for replacing the fuel filter, but it is a good idea to replace it atleat every 20,000km

One item I would add to your list of mods is fitting a water trap filter before the stock fuel filter. These engines don't like water and this just gives a little extra protection.
Here is the one I run on my hilux

666 High Idle Kits to suit 05+ hilux Available Here
My Build Thread.
andy666

Postby turnerhutch on Tue, 28 Aug 2012 8:32 +0000

Cool, thanks for that. So that just sits in line before the original one? Is there any particular makes/types to look for?

The canopy had a bit of pre planning and I booked it in to the shop 2days after I got the lux home. They knew it was coming in and knew my time scale to work with. Did a good job and delivered exactly what i wanted.
turnerhutch

Postby andy666 on Tue, 28 Aug 2012 10:23 +0000

turnerhutch wrote:Cool, thanks for that. So that just sits in line before the original one? Is there any particular makes/types to look for?

Yeah, it just goes in line before the standard filter.
Your 2 main options are to use one that has a filter element with the glass bowl water trap or just the a plain water trap without a filter, like the one in the picture. You can get either from anywhere that does injector pump servicing, they should also have all the fittings and extra fuel hose that you need.

Personally I prefer to run the water trap without the extra filter, that way there is no extra load on the fuel pump and risk of cavitation. Also it's one less filter that I have to change at service time :D
Other guys are running the one with the filter. There no real right or wrong choice between the 2
666 High Idle Kits to suit 05+ hilux Available Here
My Build Thread.
andy666

Re: Turnerhutch '07 Dualcab Tray - More pics and lights!

Postby turnerhutch on Sun, 07 Oct 2012 6:27 +0000

A few more pics and updates.

Now just had 110k service done and already need to do the 115k oil change!! Since getting the truck in Aug I've clocked 12000kms! Need to start saving each month just for the servicing at this rate!

Still fully in love with the Lux. Recent trips include long weekend in Shark bay and following long weekend in/around Bussleton/Margs. Again amazed with the ease of the traveling now.

At the service, checked with the guys and they clean the EGR sensor every service...now deffo getting just shy of 12lt/100k's. Pretty pleased with that so will probably stop clocking so anally now!

Some pics...These are finally pics of the mods I did above

Aux battery on ARB tray. This is wired along the chassis and up into the tray

Charger (and other thing!?) mounting location on side of tray

Temp wired distributon/fuse block. Will wire in properly once I build my drawers etc. The plug is for my air compressor.

Waeco and fuse block location. Don't you love ratchet straps! The ones accross the top make for a very handy rack for mine and the missus' boards. Can fit 2x 6' and 6'4' boards up there safely out of harms way and easilly accessable.

And these are some of my latest ones.

Narva LED camp/work light

Rocker switch for the camp light

1000 lumen LED strip light in the canopy. This thing is incredible. 0.35A and is brighter than looking for things during the day!! I love it. No more hunting with a torch! 8-)

Also upgraded my headlight bulbs to the Narva 120's. If you can't afford the HID's these are well worth the money. A noticeable difference over the standard ones and still leagal. Give a good white light which is much less fatigueing (sorry about the spelling...not my strong point!)
Interior light upgraded to an LED bulb. Again, heaps more light than a standard one and well worth doing.

Oh yeah...getting closer to ordering the Rekon kit...Thanks for your help Max, an order will be placed in the not to distant future!! Can't wait...front of the lux has been used as a sand dozer way too many times already!! :twisted: :twisted:
turnerhutch

Postby knoxys1 on Fri, 17 Jan 2014 11:11 +0000

Hey mate, good looking lux there, I live in Karratha and have similar set up , looking at getting canvas canopy made. Are you happy with the quality and price of yours? Karratha is expensive , I'd be willing to drive down to Gero and get one made if I had to. Hope to see more pics of your tray set up, they are so good for space . My wish list is pretty much the same by the way haha
knoxys1

Postby RatsakHX on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 6:22 +0000

Nice one mate, what are the dimensions of your tray? getting one built in the next couple of weeks and I have been procrastinating about the specs
RatsakHX

Return to Member Build Ups