DB's build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: 60% complete - Exhaust Chop

Postby hilux_bondy_007 on Sun, 13 Oct 2013 7:28 +0000

Why not cut it back at the last mount and at an angle that points down? I don't no much abt exhaust but it's the as high as possible.
hilux_bondy_007

Postby piggo on Sun, 13 Oct 2013 7:41 +0000

My Beaudesert final bend sits the same. its finished in line with the spare tyre. So if I drag my arse the spare will be almost (save) the end of the pipe. I ask then if I could get it change at the factory but they all pre made they don't do small custom work.
piggo

Postby beatle on Sun, 13 Oct 2013 9:44 +0000

Just cut it at the diff!!!
Working kills Surfing skills
beatle

Postby Skog07 on Sun, 13 Oct 2013 11:09 +0000

Looks kinda low and vunerable. When I had a tray on the back of mine I had problems with soot and crap all over the tailgate. Fitted an extension to stop the soot, forgot to take it off when I went 4wding, did a steep incline that I couldn't get up and as I reversed back the exhaust picked up on the ground and pretty much folded the pipe around the diff, bent the muffler. I was lucky that it didn't damage the exhaust manifold.
Skog07

Postby DeadlyBeast on Mon, 14 Oct 2013 7:22 +0000

Thanks gents. Some useful information and opinions.
Piggo, I probably will have a spare mounted over the aux fuel tank most of the time but will drop it in the back of the tub or up on the rack when the tracks demand it. Disappointing BD dont consider the needs for customers taking 4X4 tracks and to hear that they wont leave the final bend out. I would think that there are many drivers that would not buy a BD system given the poor clearance and that other exhaust systems are better designed for this purpose.

Bugger! - bad luck Skog. I like the idea of a removable exhaust extension but I would forget to take it off too.
I dont want to have to wash soot off everything from cutting the pipework too short so will leave the exhaust as long as possible without compromising clearance too much. Forgot to mention that I have an exhaust jack so need to leave a bit of room for that to slide over unless anyone has any tricks/experience to share...
DeadlyBeast

Sliders, Rear Bar + Plates

Postby DeadlyBeast on Thu, 17 Oct 2013 9:08 +0000

Had some great news today after I checked my messages.
I've been waiting for the last lot of gear to arrive for some time now after some delays.

The courier company has been trying to find it all over the country for the past couples weeks after it failed to arrive.
A company rep who has been fantastic has been calling all the depots every day trying to find my gear. All the depots had completed thorough searches for unidentified goods.

The courier rep spoke to Buddy today. Bud went out of his way and went to the depot he dropped it off at to look for it himself - and he found it!! The consigment had all the labels torn off :shock: also missing a small item that needs to be replaced - guessing that must be the engine plate. Anyway, after a lot of time and effort by all concerned its great to know that the gear has been found and shouldn't be too long before its on the way again :D Thanks Bud!
DeadlyBeast

Re: 60% complete - Buds Gear

Postby hilder91 on Fri, 18 Oct 2013 4:41 +0000

i am going to take a guess that someone was going to borrow ur items.
hilder91

Postby DeadlyBeast on Fri, 18 Oct 2013 9:30 +0000

Turns out that the strapping broke holding on the box of bolts for the rear bar / sliders which tore it open.
Bud said he will be "resending the pallet Monday and will take photos of all the packaging etc" should the gear go missing again. That will make it easy for the depot to identify it :)
Hows that for customer service!
DeadlyBeast

Postby Jack S on Fri, 18 Oct 2013 10:03 +0000

I would be cutting the exhaust back as far as possible, just after that last mount or over the rear diff but still making sure it's somewhat still pointing down... This is where I had mine cut when I still had Lux!

Looks good though, the few other bits of buds gear should set it off!!
Where did you get the exhaust heat shield from, I need to get some for the comp truck? Link...
Jack S

Postby luxus on Fri, 18 Oct 2013 6:03 +0000

The good thing about ceramic coating is it coats the inside and outside of the exhaust, which intern keeps exhaust gases hotter for longer which helps them flow. The advantage also of this is you wont cook the exhaust pipe metal because it has a intern coating. By wrapping the exhaust like you have you are potentially taking your exhaust material to higher temp that if not wrapped, and then with continued heating and cooling hardening the exhaust material and enhancing the possibility for cracking.

If I was you, I would of ceramic coated the dump pipe which would of cost a similar amount to all that thermal wrap.

I'm no expert though, just keep an eye on the dump pipe where it attaches to your turbo in a years time.

Nice lux BTW
luxus

Postby DeadlyBeast on Sat, 19 Oct 2013 12:56 +0000

Jack S wrote:I would be cutting the exhaust back as far as possible, just after that last mount or over the rear diff but still making sure it's somewhat still pointing down... This is where I had mine cut when I still had Lux! Looks good though, the few other bits of buds gear should set it off!! Where did you get the exhaust heat shield from, I need to get some for the comp truck? Link...

Cheers Jack. Think I will cut it back after the last mount/hanger for now and see how I go.
Yep -Looking forward to getting Buds gear. Sick of taking off the running boards and beating them back into shape :lol:
I got both exhaust wraps from eBay. The magma wrap from tex-tech-aus: http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/tex-tech-aus/m.html?item=330523248603&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562
and the ceramic wrap from 99racing:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ceramic-Fiber-Heat-Bandage-TURBO-exhaust-TURBO-MANIFOLD-DUMP-PIPE-wrap-NEW-/251012521674?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a71831eca
Both sellers provided good service. The ceramic wrap isn't as flexible as the magma wrap so not so good around tight corners. Recommend wetting the magma wrap when applying it to reduce fly ad giving a tight fit when dry.
DeadlyBeast

Postby DeadlyBeast on Sat, 19 Oct 2013 1:04 +0000

luxus wrote:The good thing about ceramic coating is it coats the inside and outside of the exhaust, which intern keeps exhaust gases hotter for longer which helps them flow. The advantage also of this is you wont cook the exhaust pipe metal because it has a intern coating. By wrapping the exhaust like you have you are potentially taking your exhaust material to higher temp that if not wrapped, and then with continued heating and cooling hardening the exhaust material and enhancing the possibility for cracking. If I was you, I would of ceramic coated the dump pipe which would of cost a similar amount to all that thermal wrap. I'm no expert though, just keep an eye on the dump pipe where it attaches to your turbo in a years time. Nice lux BTW

Okay Luxus. Some interesting points although I'm not sure I agree with all of them. Kinda doubt the exhaust temperatures will go over what the gases are producing - the exhaust wrap is just that - a wrap, not an additional heat source. It's been a while since did engineering at school however I believe the only way to harden a metal is to heat to red hot and cool rapidly - Happy to be educated though :shock:
I got a quote to ceramic coat the dump pipe alone - over $200 + freight :( I dont have the benefit if living in a city where I can just drop off parts to be coated so the wrap option while not the best will do.
DeadlyBeast

Re: From Knaackstrabe - Berlin

Postby DeadlyBeast on Mon, 21 Oct 2013 7:31 +0000

Got this in the post today:

Took about 5 weeks to get here but understandable given it came from the other side of the globe.
Will give a go tomorrow
Last edited by DeadlyBeast on Sat, 30 Nov 2013 9:12 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
DeadlyBeast

Postby kyle300exc on Mon, 21 Oct 2013 7:58 +0000

Nice a good mod to do, let us know what you think.
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby 10 luxxxx on Mon, 21 Oct 2013 8:10 +0000

They are an awesome bit of gear mate I have the 3 drive one from vmn and love it I'm sure you will too.
10 luxxxx

Re: Sprint Booster

Postby DeadlyBeast on Tue, 22 Oct 2013 7:41 +0000

Plugged up the booster this morning.
Have heard lots of subjective feedback such as it "feels" this or that. I prefer cold hard empirical data.
So, did a couple runs using the scan gauge performance function. Had some baseline 0-110km/h data done a while back when installing the exhaust.
So only a couple runs this morning and with 70L less fuel on board but knocked off around 0.5 seconds 0-50km/h and about 1 second off 0-100km/h.
Will standardise conditions and do more runs before posting anything conclusive - but yes, it does feel more responsive ;)
DeadlyBeast

Postby outbackjoe on Tue, 22 Oct 2013 8:32 +0000

You need to do the test with and without under the same conditions. Several times, alternating with and without to eliminate any trends and the tester can't know whether it's with or without. The answer is already known, it won't make any difference apart from the tiny fraction of a second it takes to push the pedal further. It's just about whether you like the pedal response or not. If you like it then it's good.
Last edited by outbackjoe on Tue, 22 Oct 2013 9:54 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
outbackjoe

Postby Alby on Tue, 22 Oct 2013 9:20 +0000

outbackjoe wrote:You need to do the test with and without under the same conditions. The answer is already known, it won't make any difference apart from the tiny fraction of a second it takes to push the pedal further. It's just about whether you like the pedal response or not. If you like it then it's good.

Joe have you tried one of these yet?
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby DeadlyBeast on Tue, 22 Oct 2013 5:02 +0000

outbackjoe wrote:You need to do the test with and without under the same conditions. Several times, alternating with and without to eliminate any trends and the tester can't know whether it's with or without. The answer is already known, it won't make any difference apart from the tiny fraction of a second it takes to push the pedal further. It's just about whether you like the pedal response or not. If you like it then it's good.

I need to what!!?? I wont be conducting a double blinded placebo controlled randomised trial. Nor will I being doing enough runs to attain statistical significance! :lol:
I know the booster works but the answer to my question is not known. As alluded to, my intention is to put a numerical figure on how well it works. Suffice to say that my methodology will be good enough for most members to be able to put a ball park figure on the lag/latency improvement and how this may translate into extra distance traveled when using this kit. Perhaps well worth knowing when contemplating overtaking roadtrains etc. Watch this space.... just don't hold your breath
DeadlyBeast

Postby helmut79 on Tue, 22 Oct 2013 5:08 +0000

Just to throw a spanner in the works, you should try the original one and see the difference!!
Mick
FCCW

“This is anger management......I’m channelling it into something and then I destroy it!”

My Build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6869

New Member Sandpit viewforum.php?f=83
helmut79

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups