DB's build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: DB's CSR Trip

Postby DeadlyBeast on Mon, 25 Sep 2017 9:51 +0000

Had over 500 photos to weed thru... Some stories have to stay on the CSR ;)
Should have pointed out at the beginning most of these pics are 16x9 - click on them for full image

Below photo not quite in chronological order.
Apparently the fuel drop had been cleaned up according to our L70 crew who went thru 2 years earlier

Well 30 to 26 was a typical day
Covered another 130 or so km
Good to leave the nasty corrugations behind... for the best part anyways
Easy dunes, more camels

Thring Hill

Another good camp spot at Well 26 with a toilet, fire pit and good water under well doors
Came across 2 blokes there riding the entire track unsupported:
All they had is what they could carry - no fuel drops either
They didnt stop for long - just long enough to strip, a cool off drenching with well water, share a quick story before hammering on. Impressive stuff - really!

Well 26 to Lake Disappointment
16L/100km

Was surprised to see another full salt pan

A few of us were keen to go for a swim. Good to get the dust out of ya hair

The North corner of Lake Disappointment
A perfect camp site just after the lake come into view. Look up toward the oak trees and find an elevated spot - there's a few camp spots - great views of the ultra white salt pan.
The colour changes around sunset/sun rise... :o
This photo didnt do it any justice
DeadlyBeast

Postby TOYZX on Tue, 26 Sep 2017 4:48 +0000

Nice mate!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby Spitfia on Tue, 26 Sep 2017 8:19 +0000

JEALOUS! :mrgreen:
YOU LOOKIN AT MY EYE?!!!
MY10 2011 SR Hilux DC, Steinbauer Module, 2" lift, BFG AT 265/75R16 etc. etc. etc.
Spitfia

Postby LocalFart on Tue, 26 Sep 2017 8:45 +0000

Great write up as usual. incredibly jealous.
LocalFart

Postby oggy on Tue, 26 Sep 2017 4:47 +0000

Top stuff Steve 8-)
Occupational health and safety officers..Stop messin with Darwin's theory of natural selection... Stupid hippies.

Oggy's build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=19033
oggy

Postby DeadlyBeast on Wed, 27 Sep 2017 6:58 +0000

Its a big trip for sure... a lot of stars had to align for his one - more on that later

Lake Disappoint to Durba Spring
117km - a short day
15.6L/HK

Picked up some good firewood early in the morning as firewood collection is not allowed at Durba

Some easy flat driving around the salt pans and lakes

Lake Disappointment front and centre - MASSIVE. Could not see the other side

Savoury Creek - had to be crossed further down the track. A few of the salt lakes had short cuts thru them but there was a fair amount of water. We used all the go around tracks

This reddish looking edible salt bush had a pleasant citrus flavour - not bad at all

Im sure there must have been a wooden sign before this one was erected by non-govs?
It appears all the restoration work to the wells and toilets at the South end of the track has been completed by 4x4 clubs and volunteer groups. This creates a certain charm about the track.

Was hoping not to see a sign like this but grateful the warning was well posted.
They are doing some work rehabilitating the wild life at Durba. There is a rare species of rock wallaby called the Warru there which I was fortunate enough to see while walking the gorge

Durba camp area - one of the few spots I have seen white gums this old and untouched by fire
I was told that Dick Smith calls Durba Springs one of the best camp sites in Australia - he most likely flies in by helicopter soon after the wet when no one else is there Im guessing.

We were lucky enough to arrive when there was only one other vehicle there. By coincidence one of our crew knew the couple who were from our home town. They knew they would be on the track somewhere but didnt plan to meet. They said the old girl below didnt miss a beat:
They were travelling South to North but weren't going to do the the entire CSR

We arrived about 3pm and quickly made our way up the gorge to see if there was any water left at the waterhole up there were swimming is allowed. Just enough:
A difficult climb up there with huge boulders to negotiate

The camp side water hole - no swimming permitted here but a great place to relax and think about what the city folk are doing right now ;)

A few of these ring necks around

This Hobby had caught a small bird. He fed on it for long enough for me to realise I need a better camera

A quick climb up to the camp look out for sunset
DeadlyBeast

Postby DeadlyBeast on Sun, 01 Oct 2017 9:14 +0000

It would have been great to stay a couple days at Durba but it was revealed that we had a deadline to drop off one the UK crew who had to fly overseas. Not knowing where or when he was going to fly out from (hadnt yet bought a return ticket!) put an element of uncertainty into travel logistics.
At this point knew that I will have to come back and do it again...
We had been pushing every day - up at 5 or 5:30, break camp, drive, see as much as we could, make camp at 4, all fairly routine

Durba to Well 12
147km
14.8L/HK

Some slow rocky sections mixed with some good fast sections. Still only averaged 29k/hr which was typical for most of the track.

Many rock cairns along the track. Just about every rocky outcrop has one.

This happened to one of my coil overs :x
It wasnt a complete failure. A minor leak that held up and got me back

Another great camp at Well 12 - Desert Oaks, a good toilet and plenty of fire wood near camp
DeadlyBeast

Postby DeadlyBeast on Wed, 04 Oct 2017 9:20 +0000

Well 12 to Well 6 (Peirre Spring)
130km
11.9LHK

These guys waiting for us at the well to pull up some water

Early in the day the Prado dropped this:
One of the brothers hit the dune with a bit too much momentum - one too many dig outs from other vehicles wheel spin
We passed a lot of trailers going the other way.
Stopped for one bloke in a patrol with trailer on FLAT and straight track section, sand only a few inches deep - Tyres looked like they were over 30psi as there was little bag in the side walls. He bogged down right in front of us :roll: . Easy to see how the dunes get chewed up.

Anyway, that stone guard had seen a lot of punishment over the years
It was very fortunate timing as this was found:
Brand new radiator installed just before the tour.
Turned out it was some weird factory lug that usually sits snug inside the chassis rail but over the bumps had popped out and lodged on a 45 degree angle into the radiator. Over time hitting each bump and corrugation this lug worked itself further into the radiator side tank.
We caught it soon after it had pierced thru
After cleaning, draining, epoxying and a 5 hour stop we were going again.

Got up to 595m above sea level near well 9

Many trees over the track from this point on - with benefit of hindsight I would take the flag down at Well 9
We saw one sand flag with the upper pole section attached up a tree
Keeping the flag centrally located on the vehicle helps a lot - even so mine took a flogging on this section
Some smooth sections however

No camping between well 9 to 6
A horrible defoliated pastoral lease devoid of trees, ground cover, flowers or native animal life other that the emus and cattle around the stock yards. When I think of a desolated desert - this scenery in this section comes to mind.
Surprising how much life, flora and colour there was on the rest of the track

Beautiful camp ground at Pierre Spring /Well 6 - Took flag down here
Toilet and White gums

The wells attract many birds that appear to rely on track users to haul up, and spill water into catchments

Reconstruction of a whip pole that used to be horse or camel drawn - heaving 200L of water at a time

The toilet was close to overflowing so we set about towing the receptacle to the disposal area first thing in the morning. The container that usually has lime in it was also empty.
Signs at the toilet gave good instructions on how to tip the waste and use ash from the fire as a substitute for lime powder.
Other campers there appeared to be bewildered to see us undertake this duty - had to explain that " the loo doesnt empty itself mate" :lol:

Well 6 to 2a
11.7LHK

Random pic: Unsure where this cart was - perhaps around Well 15
Its the remains of a human drawn cart that a Kiwi /Perth based bushwalker Murray Rankin made. He and a companion set out in the 70's to complete the Canning by foot. These carts fell apart ending that attempt. He made another attempt in 73 using a heavier frame design and motor bike wheels that was too heavy before completing the entire track in 1976

Out from Well 6 you go past some impressive grass trees called blackboys. Like a palm tree with a long grassy head. Half of them had a massive 1.5m stem coming out of the top that I assumed was its flower. Didnt stop to take a pic as we had just got underway :(

Track from here was a bit rough in places, good driving from Well 5 to Well 3 with he exception of some very sharp washouts

Well 4a / Windich Spring
Had a relaxing swim here. A good break from the drive at the this point of the track. A few long neck turtles in this pool

Very Slow from Well 3 to 2 - rocky and washed out sections

We passed thru 660m above sea level then camped at well 2a - the coldest night so far
Very exposed to wind but the abundant dead mulga trees made for good fire wood. A good stone wall fire pit here

2a to Wiluna
The urge for data collection and photos dropped off on this section - was just keen to make it to the end of the track, refuel and resupply

Zebra finch are probably the most common bird you will see along the entire track

Some very long flat fast (over 60km/hr :lol: ) down hill sections thru grassy plains interrupted by sharp washouts and turns
Never seen so many budgies - flock after flock up to 200 darting over the track

We didnt stop at Well 1 as the L70 was running on fumes.

The Hilux still had just under 30L left in the tank at Wiluna, Prado had to dip into a 20L jerry to make it to Wiluna
Satisfying making it down the track relatively unscathed.... but we still had to make it home yet
DeadlyBeast

Postby DeadlyBeast on Mon, 09 Oct 2017 9:20 +0000

The trek East toward Alice Springs

We took the Goldfield highway and headed to Leonora
Just South of Leonora is a Ghost town - Gwalia
Gwalia was a township that housed the early gold miners. They suddenly upped and left when the Gold mine shut down leaving behind houses, possessions, and broken vehicles.
So good being allowed to take your dog thru an attraction when other places strictly prohibit
The town is fascinating - the local historical society has done a great job restoring the town.
Well worth the visit to see how the old timers lived - a hard life

Just South of this is the mine which is operational again. The mine hosts a historical museum displaying old mine equipment and Hoover House - the first Hoover President managed the mine for a period of years before becoming POTUS. More fascinating history of this part of the country that I had no idea about
How many museums lets you take dogs? - let alone into a presidential house :lol:
The only Surviving large timber incline headframe in Australia

Onto Leonora where the fuel was the cheapest we have seen for weeks.
Camped at Malcolm Damn Nature Reserve just out of town.
The first time that this tonneau had been covered in ice

From there on to Laverton and then onto the Great Central Highway

Warburton

From Warburton Giles Weather Station is just up the road
At the Weather station is a tribute to Len Bedell - the legend who navigated and created roads like the Gunbarrell and Great Central Roads
One of Len Bedells cartoons

Remnant of a blue streak rocket launched from Woomera 1964 - found 16 years later 50km out of Giles

From Giles it was on toward Yulara
The GCR is a pleasure to drive on compared to parts of the CSR.
Some rough sections and washed out creek crossings on the GCR but in general its in great shape

From the boarder the GCR turns into Tjukaruru Road which take you intoYulara.
We camped the night about 30km short of Yulara at a free camp called "The Oaks" on Hema maps.

Coming from this way there were no Park entry fees to Kata Tjuta :D

The Valley of winds walk
DeadlyBeast

Postby NZMarkb on Tue, 10 Oct 2017 2:27 +0000

Keep them coming mate
Loving following your adventure :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
If your not prepared to stand behind our Troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Critter350 on Tue, 10 Oct 2017 8:04 +0000

NZMarkb wrote:Keep them coming mate
Loving following your adventure :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

X2

Cheers
Crit
Critter350

Postby hartster on Mon, 16 Oct 2017 6:09 +0000

Really enjoying the photos and it's making me pine for the red stuff after the wettest winter on record in The Waikato.

Some of those campsites on the lower half of the CSR I recognise and we had some wonderful trips through that part of the world 3 years ago. Some of the vehicle photos are very informative for those thinking about this kind of trip. Especially the temperature monitoring on the shocks and the salient reminder of the roof rack mounts which has caught out countless blokes over the years. The way you have reported the fuel consumption is priceless for those planning the full trip, well done.

On the three occasions we have come across blokes with failed suspension in country like this it has been Prados, always at the rear and twice towing campers. There's a lot to be said for good old leaf springs.

But the one of the broken chassis on the old Patrol is worth it's weight in gold to show those stubborn types who insist on installing airbags creating a pivot point above the axle. I have a couple of mates with older Patrols who insist on running airbags and I've told them countless times one day mate you're going to come a cropper. But no they reckon they are bomb proof and off they go admittedly not into the real hard country like the CSR but they keep saying "one day".

I don't know if it's still there but in mid 2015 at Drysdale River Station there was a early 90s Patrol with airbags that had broken it's back in exact same way as in your photo. It had been abandoned and there was a shitfight about the recovery costs. It sat there on its own to the left of the main sheds as a Monument to the Folly of Airbags.
2013 Hilux KUN26R DC, 2010 Kluger GSU45R, 2006 Prado GRJ120R, 1993 Hilux VZN130R
hartster

Postby ktm300 on Mon, 16 Oct 2017 7:26 +0000

How can you tell the patrol was running air bags ?
ktm300

Postby hartster on Mon, 16 Oct 2017 8:15 +0000

ktm300 wrote:How can you tell the patrol was running air bags ?

The mount is visible. That is one helluva long tray. There's no way of knowing what he had in the canopy, and where the weight was distributed. Large Engels full of beer right by the rear canopy door? Very bad idea. But its amazing how often you see things like that...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2VbeRSGlRNagIkLu1

You can see newer airbag versions are similar, still being sold, BOSS etc.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ApGwIznZlAK8W7di2

Read, and weep...

https://www.4x4australia.com.au/reviews/1504/bent-utes
2013 Hilux KUN26R DC, 2010 Kluger GSU45R, 2006 Prado GRJ120R, 1993 Hilux VZN130R
hartster

Postby ktm300 on Mon, 16 Oct 2017 9:11 +0000

Thanks Alot for the info was an interesting read .
ktm300

Postby storm450 on Mon, 16 Oct 2017 8:01 +0000

Isn't that patrol coil sprung not leaf
storm450

Postby ktm300 on Tue, 17 Oct 2017 3:55 +0000

storm450 wrote:Isn't that patrol coil sprung not leaf

Coil .
ktm300

Postby hartster on Tue, 17 Oct 2017 3:59 +0000

Don't really want to hijack DB's thread... so final word from me on something I started in the first place ;) sorry DB.

Yes that Patrol in the photo is coils - my understanding is they are more prone to chassis cracking with air bags / poly airs than the DX leaf sprung versions. I can only comment on what I've seen in the field... which is several coil sprung GUs with either fully cracked chassis waiting for recovery (mine contractors and touring trucks), or repaired chassis GUs that have had the air bags removed and the chassis strengthening kit fitted, or overloaded GUs with air bags and a driver who wasn't in the slightest bit interested in hearing about cracked chassis! (My mate is top of that bloody list :roll:) And the list isn't restricted to Patrols, I've seen various double cab utes with broken chassis induced by air bags.

My advice to anyone who is thinking about upgrading suspension for increased load carrying over long distances on rough roads is never, ever fit air bags / poly air between the chassis and axle. Let the spring do the work, dampened by the shock, with the geometry maintained as per the OEM chassis design. Yes I expect some will want to shoot me down for this, fair enough, but I've seen too many failures with the one common denominator. I accept that some of the older folk who stick to the black top with their caravans can happily pootle around at 80kmh without incurring problems. But once you're into the big road train corrugations, rises over the top of culverts and those Finnish rally style "yumps" that catch us out every now and then, if you're heavy, you're potentially in a lot of trouble with air bags.
hartster

DB's CSR Trip

Postby ktm300 on Tue, 17 Oct 2017 7:37 +0000

Agree with all of the above and I have a gu ute coil sprung .
ktm300

Postby storm450 on Sat, 21 Oct 2017 6:28 +0000

Vehicle carrying capacity in my book is a lot like tow ratings. Just because you legally can, doesn't mean you should when off-road. I am from the country and until I joined this website had never heard off a broken chassis and we quite often overload utes with firefighters and a lot of patrols around here have the coils replaced with airbags. We don't break them because we don't drive fast offroad. I wouldn't tow 3T on a rough road at any speed and I wouldn't put a ton in the tray either on a rough track. If you want to do that buy a truck.
storm450

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups