Gull wing canopy WIP Version 1.2

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Gull wing canopy WIP Version 1.2

Postby McSumWay on Mon, 14 Jan 2013 4:20 +0000

That looks great mate. I wish I'd folded my table up.

It's comin along nicely. Can't wait to see it in the bush.
I have nothing good to say down here so I wont say anything at all
McSumWay

Postby Alby on Mon, 14 Jan 2013 6:20 +0000

McSumWay wrote:That looks great mate. I wish I'd folded my table up.

It's comin along nicely. Can't wait to see it in the bush.

X2
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby Alby on Mon, 14 Jan 2013 6:21 +0000

dute wrote:Well done Mark all this looks great . But when are you going to use all this new setup ;)

Pete's got a point, don't know why you would need a table when all you eat is poppa juice and space food sticks :lol:
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby Skog07 on Mon, 14 Jan 2013 7:05 +0000

Alby wrote:
dute wrote:Well done Mark all this looks great . But when are you going to use all this new setup ;)

Pete's got a point, don't know why you would need a table when all you eat is poppa juice and space food sticks :lol:

I'm on the road next week for two weeks for work up in Qld. Till the beginning of Feb. Then back up again for a few weeks in March. This is pretty big news for me. The doc has allowed me travelling privileges again as a test run it will be motels though and maybe a camp out or two on the return trip.
Skog07

Postby VMN on Mon, 14 Jan 2013 7:46 +0000

Skog07 wrote:I'm on the road next week for two weeks for work up in Qld. Till the beginning of Feb. Then back up again for a few weeks in March. This is pretty big news for me. The doc has allowed me travelling privileges again as a test run it will be motels though and maybe a camp out or two on the return trip.

Don't forget to look us up if passing by Brissy Mark
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby Skog07 on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 9:12 +0000

A bit more progress.
Machined up and welded some locating lugs for the canopy so it sits square on the tray. Decided to bolt down the canopy instead of using lockdown clamps. So no more bodgy $7 rachet strap holding it down.. :lol:
Also installed the electrical distribution board. This sits behind the fridge. One of the circuits will be for load the other will be for charging on the breakers
I had some leftover C channel from the draws which offsets the fridge from the backwall of the kitchen. Will get some foam to insulate the fridge and also drill some holes in the channel to allow ventilation of the fridge.
Also thinking of running the 2nd spare inside the canopy for better weight distribution.
The AGM battery will sit approximately in this position as well and a slim line Boab 50L tank will sit on the backwall of the kitchen.
Ive also got to make some sort of warning light on the dash. Was in a bit of a rush one morning and forgot to close one of the wings.
Luckily the gate tore off its hinges. The door did very slightly twist but all OK... :o :o
Skog07

Postby Alby on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 10:05 +0000

So I am scrolling down slowly reading your post and looking at the pics of all this fancy work thinking your not as big a dickhead as I first thought and should give you more credit , then I come to the last image of the gate hanging off and as my mummy always says 'your first gut instinct is usually the right one'
If you layed off the Tropical Thunder a bit you wouldn't make those silly mistakes

Coming together good though
Alby

Postby oggy on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 10:50 +0000

....And that's how it starts...... a little ding here , a little scrape there. Next thing your ripping gates off , then all of a sudden you wake up one day and your driving a brown volvo with a plaid hat on :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :?
Occupational health and safety officers..Stop messin with Darwin's theory of natural selection... Stupid hippies.

Oggy's build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=19033
oggy

Postby kyle300exc on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 1:14 +0000

Alby wrote:So I am scrolling down slowly reading your post and looking at the pics of all this fancy work thinking your not as big a dickhead as I first thought and should give you more credit , then I come to the last image of the gate hanging off and as my mummy always says 'your first gut instinct is usually the right one'
If you layed off the Tropical Thunder a bit you wouldn't make those silly mistakes

Sorry Mark but :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just goes to show your a wiz on the key board and a weapon in the shed but your still human like the rest of us. :lol: :lol:
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby Skog07 on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 1:42 +0000

kyle300exc wrote:
Alby wrote:So I am scrolling down slowly reading your post and looking at the pics of all this fancy work thinking your not as big a dickhead as I first thought and should give you more credit , then I come to the last image of the gate hanging off and as my mummy always says 'your first gut instinct is usually the right one'

Sorry Mark but :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just goes to show your a wiz on the key board and a weapon in the shed but your still human like the rest of us. :lol: :lol:

I must have you bluffed Kyle... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Made a bit of a racket at 5am in the morning when I tore it off. Think my swearing also woke the neighbours as well. The dog did alright out of it though since I couldnt lock the yard up, he scored a ride around in the ute all day. I have to ask him if I want to use the ute as it is now his. The little bugger sleeps in it now if the doors open.
Alby. Tropical Punch poppa's are the best for welding alloy. I use Golden Pash when I mig weld steel. ;)
Skog07

Postby dute on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 1:52 +0000

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That will teach you 8-)
FCCW

inside Dute's black hole

"Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill"
dute

Postby Skog07 on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 1:59 +0000

dute wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That will teach you 8-)

Do you know why this happened..... Micks left his canopy on my front lawn right in front of this gate.. I blame Mick. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Skog07

Postby Skog07 on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 6:34 +0000

Final touches to the kitchen side.
Removed the C channel and perforated the first 200mm for ventilation for the fridge so it can lose heat more efficiently.
Also used the remaining C channel to lock in some foam insulation (75mm) to give the fridge more thermal insulation.
Fired up the control panel as well. Gives Voltage and Amperage readings.
How it sits when the fridge is installed.
Looking down on the perforated C channel. Reason why this was installed was to prevent crap falling behind the fridge. Provide a plannem to insulate the fridge and also ventilate the fridge.
Also plan on putting some 12V computer fans in to circulate the air.
Skog07

Postby Skog07 on Thu, 24 Jan 2013 12:00 +0000

Some more final touches to the fridge side.
Things went a bit ascrew but nutted it out. Want to try an get the most efficiency out of the fridge.
Lagged the fridge void areas.
Reckon the greatest heat soak from my canopy setup will be from underneath the fridge.
With all the left over foam made some addtional insulation to insulate the side of the fridge.
Their will be still some more final touches to the fridge itself. I plan on running a decent 12V computer fan to try and dissipate the heat even further and blow air through the condensor.
Skog07

Postby packeteer on Mon, 18 Feb 2013 3:20 +0000

thats gonna be the most efficient fridge since the dawn of time!
:)
2011 Dual Cab SR5 D4D manual.
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby Skog07 on Thu, 28 Feb 2013 10:16 +0000

packeteer wrote:thats gonna be the most efficient fridge since the dawn of time!
:)

It doesnt do too bad Bear. Found the greatest inefficency with my set up is the heat transfer from the alloy underneath the fridge on a hot day. Its like putting your fridge on a hot plate and expect it to work properly. Havent run fans yet, I also made a 50mm piece to fit on top of the fridge as well and have some reflective sticky lagging on order from Clark rubber for the Gull wing door. It is pretty special when the plastic on the outside of your fridge is cold and gathers condensation like a Cold can taken out of the fridge.
Well here are a few shots of the business side of the canopy.
I made an attachment that fits into the Jack off legs which incorporates a vice.
Its pretty strong, but also have another idea that will allow me to utilise the jack off points to make a lightweight awning to fit off the side as well.
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Postby Burma Shave on Fri, 01 Mar 2013 1:00 +0000

WOW!!!!! What a magnificent build! Kudos!!!
Burma Shave

Postby packeteer on Fri, 01 Mar 2013 1:15 +0000

damn, that is some nice work mate
2011 Dual Cab SR5 D4D manual.
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby Quinny34 on Fri, 01 Mar 2013 6:47 +0000

LMFAO at this thread... If I was your neighbour I would have been laughing my arse of...

Do you have a temp gauge inside your canopy? I'd be interested in the heat you normally get when in direct sunlight. Mines matt black and even on hot days doesnt seem to get overly hot, warm at best inside. I've got an old dual temp sensor I'll eventually hook up but at the moment internal temp is how long a stubbie can be left in the canopy before going warm whilst working.
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby helmut79 on Fri, 01 Mar 2013 12:36 +0000

Quinny34 wrote:how long a stubbie can be left in the canopy before going warm whilst working.

I would have thought not that long............ :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick
FCCW

“This is anger management......I’m channelling it into something and then I destroy it!”

My Build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6869

New Member Sandpit viewforum.php?f=83
helmut79

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups