Gull wing canopy WIP Version 1.2

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Gull wing canopy WIP Version 1.2

Postby 07luxyTD on Sun, 20 Oct 2013 3:45 +0000

So without sounding to technical, That box is used for changing the lighting to set the mood for you Kareoke? :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a serious note what is the proper name of the aluminium mesh you used as the dividers for your plastic boxes?
Last edited by 07luxyTD on Sun, 20 Oct 2013 3:52 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
"Lucky you weren't cut off by my stihl"

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=13794
My Landcruiser Build http://www.newlandcruiser.net/phpbb/vie ... 90&start=0
07luxyTD

Postby 07luxyTD on Sun, 20 Oct 2013 3:50 +0000

oggy wrote:Not only that Ross, but perhaps you need the steadying hand of Patrick Swayzee and then your welds would all be beer and skittles :lol: There you go i've nailed it. You should be aiming for beer and skittles, not friggen sunshine and lollipops :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dunno how its gonna work but may have to try it Oggy, you mention steady hand tho :? :? That would be like tring to get blood from a rock. Its impossible for me to do, just think of my hands as having an early stage of parkinsons. Give the weld a natural weive tho and the ex misso never complained ;) :lol:

07luxyTD

Postby Glenn k on Sun, 20 Oct 2013 4:58 +0000

Alby wrote:We would of kept a lower profile without your Barry Manilow performance :lol:

And I thought leaning out over the fence with your arms wide apart singing titanic was also a bit much

due to recent financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off until further notice !
Glenn k

Postby LDH on Sun, 20 Oct 2013 10:48 +0000

Is the battery that you are charging using your ctek under the bonnet or in the canopy? Dont ctek recommend a maximum distance between the unit and the battery of a metre (I think I read it somewhere)? How do you go when you jackoff the canopy, do you still have a power supply.

Sorry for all the questions... Just looking at power options for the soon to be here canopy.

Thanks
LDH

Postby Skog07 on Sun, 20 Oct 2013 10:54 +0000

07luxyTD wrote:So without sounding to technical, That box is used for changing the lighting to set the mood for you Kareoke? :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a serious note what is the proper name of the aluminium mesh you used as the dividers for your plastic boxes?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey Ross,
The mesh is called expanda mesh, you can get it from Trango Aluminium at Girraween. Sent Kyle over there to get a sheet for his canopy was about $37 or so for a 2400 x 1500 sheet. Not as good as proper security mesh as it isn't as rigid but welds up OK. Well worth a trip down to pick up as the chick behind the counter is pretty hot, but has a real attitude and has destroyed her body with tats.. :? :? Just ask Kyle she gave him a bit of lip and a run for his money.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Skog07

Postby Skog07 on Sun, 20 Oct 2013 11:05 +0000

LDH wrote:Is the battery that you are charging using your ctek under the bonnet or in the canopy? Dont ctek recommend a maximum distance between the unit and the battery of a metre (I think I read it somewhere)? How do you go when you jackoff the canopy, do you still have a power supply.

Sorry for all the questions... Just looking at power options for the soon to be here canopy.

Thanks

Hi LDH.
No worries about the questions fire away. Im using the ctek in the canopy to charge the third battery, that is in the canopy, it is actually behind the fridge below the circuit breaker on the other side of the dividing compartment. Its less than a metre away from the ctek unit itself. Ive got to bring a feed in still from the second battery/ alternator side of the ctek charger I have an old existing circuit that I used to run an inverter behind the front drivers seat from the second battery under bonnet that was done in 4 gauge that will be extended back to the canopy. Eventually I will fit a 150 - 200W solar panel on the roof. Just to top the battery up when parked, Ive never removed the canopy to camp yet the legs are pretty bulky to carry around and Im never generally in the same spot long enough to justify or even get the chance to get out camping much these days anyway..
Skog07

Postby Skog07 on Sun, 20 Oct 2013 8:57 +0000

Distribution block and ctek are now up and running.
Wiring still needs to be tidied up properly but the cable runs are pretty much finalised now. The in feed line for the ctek has been extended from an old existing circuit from 2nd battery. Will also have to make a protective shroud for the fuse holder to prevent it being broken if something falls off the top shelf of the kitchenette during transit..
All in all pretty happy with the result...
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Postby oggy on Mon, 21 Oct 2013 4:27 +0000

Skog07 wrote:
Hey Ross,
The mesh is called expanda mesh, you can get it from Trango Aluminium at Girraween. Sent Kyle over there to get a sheet for his canopy was about $37 or so for a 2400 x 1500 sheet. Not as good as proper security mesh as it isn't as rigid but welds up OK. Well worth a trip down to pick up as the chick behind the counter is pretty hot, but has a real attitude and has destroyed her body with tats.. :? :? Just ask Kyle she gave him a bit of lip and a run for his money.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So what happened with Kyle? comparing hot pants with her and she took offence :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Occupational health and safety officers..Stop messin with Darwin's theory of natural selection... Stupid hippies.

Oggy's build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=19033
oggy

Postby kyle300exc on Wed, 23 Oct 2013 6:59 +0000

No, shes a naughty girl that just gets by on her looks and short skirt who cares about customer service..
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby Skog07 on Fri, 08 Nov 2013 10:55 +0000

Well it only took 5 days to get a priority parcel up from Melbourne. But got it in the end, Melbourne Cup Day pretty much shut down Victoria by the look of it.
The panel arrived, and for the first time since I put the Ultimate suspension in I removed the canopy and put it back on its lift off legs. Without the weight in the back it certainly sits high...
Panel in postion.
Its been a while since I have removed the canopy. Stood on the roof and took a photo of the back of the ute which is now my temporary work bench.
Also did the most retarded thing tonight.. I used metal tek screws to quickly fab up all the internal panels for the dividing walls and also the parcel shelf. Whilst the canopy was off and lowered to an easy height to work with I decided to remove the protruding metal teks into the roof and replace them with a button head cap screws and nylock nuts.
Made the fatal mistake... Removed a metal tek screw and put the 6.5mm drill into the cordless drill and drilled up into the roof of the canopy. I forgot that the solar panel was on the roof and when the drill broke through I damaged the back of the panel with the end of the drill bit...
Rookie mistake..... :evil: :evil: :evil:
Skog07

Postby BR65 on Sat, 09 Nov 2013 4:25 +0000

Ouch!
BR65

Postby 07luxyTD on Sat, 09 Nov 2013 6:13 +0000

:lol: :lol: you always go so well in showing off your technical screws then nek minute you go punching holes through solar panels

07luxyTD

Postby helmut79 on Sat, 09 Nov 2013 5:57 +0000

Pop in to see mark today and must say the canopy is looking vey nice and love the basket idea mate.

Sorry or slowing you down :oops: :oops:
Mick
FCCW

“This is anger management......I’m channelling it into something and then I destroy it!”

My Build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6869

New Member Sandpit viewforum.php?f=83
helmut79

Postby Skog07 on Sat, 09 Nov 2013 8:52 +0000

No problem Mick, your always welcome to pop in mate. You have done a pretty awesome job of setting up your canopy as well, the draws in yours look fantastic along with the swingaway wheel carrier. The surface finish on your rear bar looks fantastic as well. The baskets you liked you can get them from Bunnings for about $6.00 each.
You should of stayed longer I could of used the extra hands in the arvo....
Changed out all of the tek screws to nyloc stainless set screws this arvo and what a PITA it was.
There was over 50 of them, each tek had to be removed, drilled out, de burred then I had to duct tape spanners to the canopy as I could only reach one side of the screw to do it up. Managed to change out all but one, the head of this one is inaccessible unless I pull half the canopy apart to get it out. :evil: :roll:
Thinking about doing the bodgey and cutting it off with the grinder, but it will shit me knowing that it is there and will probably disassemble the canopy to change it.. :lol: :lol:
Finally put the mountings in for the battery as well.
and also made a protective shroud to stop the fuse box from getting hit by anything up on the top shelf.
Didn't realise how high it sits without any weight on the back. Took it for a spin and definitely feels harsher, but still rides reasonably well, takes off a lot quicker too..
And here is a shot of my stupidity from last night. Little red circle shows where I hit the back of the panel with the drill...
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Postby 9W6VX on Mon, 11 Nov 2013 10:56 +0000

Ahhh ...... the trusty Lux looks good now!

Hope I can see her again soon!

LOL
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Skog07 on Thu, 05 Dec 2013 9:42 +0000

Well this happened to me.
Hopefully will get a chance to spend some time on sorting out some wiring issues before Xmas.
Skog07

Postby kyle300exc on Fri, 06 Dec 2013 5:03 +0000

:shock: is it a straight mend or does it need surgery?
Ross Id be happy to go and pick up some sheets for you. The receptionist and I have a love hate thing going on :twisted:
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby DeadlyBeast on Fri, 06 Dec 2013 6:30 +0000

Nice looking fuse box.... Not so pretty ankle :lol:
DeadlyBeast

Postby 07luxyTD on Fri, 06 Dec 2013 9:08 +0000

So you're sweet talking went nice and smooth? Your more then welcome to pick them up and also deliver up here to

07luxyTD

Postby Skog07 on Sun, 08 Dec 2013 9:00 +0000

Hobbled around today and started to tidy up the temporary wiring.
Its taken me a while to get the configuration right here is the old temp setup.
and looking a lot tidier and more permanent in the shots.
ImageImage
Still have to tidy up the lighting circuit and also the solar input but happy with my progress with a broken leg.. :lol: :lol:
Skog07

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups