Rod's Rig - Round 2

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Rod's Rig - Round 2

Postby Jack S on Sat, 21 Sep 2013 9:28 +0000

There should be a o ring or wiper seal on the inside of that boot where the ram goes into the cylinder, my guess is this is damaged and leaking or has become 'hard' and isn't sealing correctly causing the leak.
Undo the cable tie, pull back the boot and take a look, I am not too sure what's there and just taking a guess...
Jack S

Postby VMN on Sun, 22 Sep 2013 5:29 +0000

Jack S wrote:There should be a o ring or wiper seal on the inside of that boot where the ram goes into the cylinder, my guess is this is damaged and leaking or has become 'hard' and isn't sealing correctly causing the leak.
Undo the cable tie, pull back the boot and take a look, I am not too sure what's there and just taking a guess...

Thanks Jack. I had to pick up some bits at the dealer yesterday and the parts in question are part of a seal kit which contains everything to rebuild the rack. Price was $230. They gave me print out and it was obvious it s not a simple job from the diagram. I went into the service department and asked them about it. They said they don't have the tools and send steering racks out to a CV service or fit a reconditioned one. They said rack failure was pretty rare. I suspect dirt and stuff has got in when the boot had come adrift and eventually worn the seal out prematurely. I remember when they saw the loose boot, it was important to get it fixed straight away to stop this happening.

Anyway, they gave me contact details for their sub contractor so I will give them a ring after the weekend to see what they say.
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby Parr on Wed, 25 Sep 2013 3:09 +0000

Rod Might be worth giving Bud's Customs a call, he should have a few steering racks left over from the SAS'es ;)
Will be alot cheaper than ripco
Parr

Previous

Return to Member Build Ups