AJ's contribution to the custom world - 2010 SR under way

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

AJ's contribution to the custom world - 2010 SR under way

Postby specky on Tue, 15 Nov 2011 6:57 +0000

Posting this on behalf of a mate (Smada, aka AJ) who hasnt got the time to throw up a thread

He bought a champagne coloured SR dual cab last year new, wasnt long before the bug bit. Sourced a tub liner from one of my workmates for $100 and threw that in, chased it down with a canopy and roof racks from ARB to improve secure storage in the tray. An electronic rust prevention doo-dad was 'installed' by the toyota dealer in Darwin (eh-hem... yeah... ), found out later it was tec-screwed through the firewall and the positive lead was jammed in under the battery terminal without so much as a terminal on it. Thanks Bridge Toyota, your service is superseded only by your rediculous prices! A few other bits went in, but then the bug bit.

Hard!

I used to work for an ARB dealer in the Adelaide Hills so got the call from AJ to see if ARB were taking the mickey charging over $650 for a dual battery system. Did the maths and indeed the mickey was being pulled hard! Decided that if we were doing the dual battery, might as well do all the auto electrics and a few other odds and sodds, so went shopping and got the bits n pieces needed, stole the car from him for a week and here are some of the results.

Dual battery tray was sourced from ARB and an exide 100AH battery slotted into the rear left corner of the tray. A Redarc SB112 solenoid was used and wired into an override switch in the cab to link the batteries in the event of the main going flat. Got tested recently when the main battery dropped a cell and worked a treat. Red arrow shows where the circuit breakers are mounted out of the way

Made up a plate to sit in the right rear corner of the engine bay from 4mm marine ally plate sourced from a local boat builder, cost nothing for a bit 60cm x 40cm, so was pretty happy. laid out two fuse boxes (Narva 6 and 10 position ones respectively), six for the feed from the main batt, 10 for the auxillary feed. Circuit breakers mounted near each battery provided the protection for the system and everything was heat shrunk and conduitted to within an inch of its life.

The same plate was used to relocate and correctly install the rust protection unit, the breathers for a Billet RaceCraft diff and transfer case/ Gearbox breather kit, and the relays for the driving lights. The blue air lines are for the diff breather kit and adds a little 'bling'

One of the handiest mods you'll do - at the front of the board (red arrow) is a switch for the under bonnet LED light. This is a 31 LED sealed unit from LED Technologies that throws enough light at night to check fluids, batteries and other bits and pieces without having to fart about with a torch. The LED was mounted centrally and the wire was conduitted, run down the right side of the bonnet and fed out near the windscreen washer water supply.

In this pic, the light is shown with the top arrow, and the switch postion the bottom one.

more to follow
specky

Re: AJ's contribution to the custom world - 2010 SR under wa

Postby Alby on Tue, 15 Nov 2011 7:01 +0000

Neat job, well done!
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby Dwanted1 on Tue, 15 Nov 2011 7:08 +0000

Love the LED mod!
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Dwanted1

Postby specky on Tue, 15 Nov 2011 7:13 +0000

A plate was made up to mount in the rear left corner of the cab from 4mm marine ally plate, again free (Love those guys at Territory Marine!!), and switches for the internal canopy light, plus an added LED light siliconed to the rear window of the canopy to light up the tailgate when the light is on. Two switches for the external work lights (Hella dual beam halogen ones i gave AJ when i upgraded to the Rigid industries dually LED ones) are mounted here also. Work lights are mounted on the roof rack to cover the left hand side and the rear of the ute. These three switches are near the blue arrow in the pic.

A 50A Anderson plug was slotted in there also (yellow arrow), fed from the aux battery and protected by a 40A circuit breaker. This will feed a small 240V inverter or heavy draw accessory such as an air compressor down the track.

Two 25A accessory sockets are mounted above that (red arrow) for the 40L Engel fridge and to meet any other power needs. These are fused from the aux feed under the bonnet and use 40A cable so theres stuff all voltage drop.

Work lights mounted to the roof rack. The relays for these are located on the plate under the bonnet, the switches use 6 core alarm cable to activate the relays and run through 40A cable.

Two more accessory sockets are mounted in the rear of the centre console and power the DVD for the rug rat, phone chargers etc. Again, run from the aux feed under the bonnet and carry 25A each, but fused to 15A at the moment.

in the cab its pretty standard to look at. UHF is mounted in front of the gear stick (left arrow) and the main unit (its a remote mounting GME unit) is mounted under the passenger front seat. The over ride to link the two batteries is mounted near the right arrow and has an LED indicator to show when the batteries are linked in.

Total cost was about the $600 mark, couldnt tell you how much a shop would charge you for a job like this but it was about 25 hours and will last the life of the car.

AJ will no doubt get his schitt in one sock soon and update the rest of the mods, future mods etc.
Last edited by specky on Wed, 16 Nov 2011 6:15 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
specky

Postby Putsy on Tue, 15 Nov 2011 7:35 +0000

That is one of the neatest install jobs I have ever seen! love it top job!
Where abouts did you source the relay holders from? very tidy once again. :P
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6631&p=95887&hilit=Putsy#p95887 My Build... A little small but its not always the size that matters ;)

putsy@newhilux.net
Putsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TerritoryMick on Tue, 15 Nov 2011 7:41 +0000

Love it. Nice and practical. Now to get my arse into gear to do the same. Not as much spare engine bay space in the SR5s though! :? If you ever need some metal offcuts give me a bell. Workshop in Winnellie
Cheers, Mick
TerritoryMick

Postby Swinny on Tue, 15 Nov 2011 8:03 +0000

nicely set up :mrgreen:
Swinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby specky on Wed, 16 Nov 2011 5:55 +0000

TerritoryMick wrote:Love it. Nice and practical. Now to get my arse into gear to do the same. Not as much spare engine bay space in the SR5s though! :? If you ever need some metal offcuts give me a bell. Workshop in Winnellie

now you tell me! hehehe cheers Mick, will give you a hoy soon because now i have to do my 2004 SR5!
specky

Postby specky on Wed, 16 Nov 2011 6:00 +0000

Putsy, all the swtches, wiring, relays, relay holders etc were all sourced from the good lads at Repco Winnellie in Darwin.

Thanks for the good feedback, as with most mods it was a labour of love and skun knuckles!
specky

Postby smada23 on Wed, 16 Nov 2011 7:59 +0000

Big thankyou to specky for all the help and ideas for the ute I will post up the new mods when I can
Aj
smada23

Return to Member Build Ups