BATOMBA'S LUX BUILD - SOLD

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

BATOMBA'S LUX BUILD - SOLD

Postby Batomba on Wed, 09 Nov 2011 5:59 +0000

Okay thought I should start a build thread since the building is now ready to begin.

First part of the build is to actually have a hilux to 'build'!

Well thank god, after months of waiting the new toy has arrived. Picked up a 2011 MY12 SR5 hilux manual diesel today. Only extra's being reverse camera, bonnet protector, head light protectors and toyota floor matts.

So even though I had the newhilux clothes, I can actually now say I am part of the family. :D

So what a day it has been. Did some driving, already nearly clocked up 200km in one day, spent ages trying to nut out the Stereo / Sat nav unit.

Now to my first stupid moment - Had to fill up with diesel, went looking for Caltex's Vortex Premium diesel. Went to about 4 Caltex service stations but they only had vortex diesel, so by this time I'm getting frustrated searching for this premium version. So I ring caltex and ask where the hell can I find the vortex premium diesel, they reply (after having a giggle) with the vortex diesel is the vortex premium diesel. Oops. :roll:
Last edited by Batomba on Sun, 28 Oct 2012 5:22 +0000, edited 3 times in total.
Batomba

Re: BATOMBA'S LUX BUILD - NEW HILUX ARRIVED

Postby CJY91LUXXY on Wed, 09 Nov 2011 6:16 +0000

Look's good mate. Keen to see some mod's. I want those air con control's in my 07 model Haha make the dash look neat.
When in fear, Lock, Stomp, And Steer!!

2008 Workmate -Tradie Rig
2007 Sr5-Daily
1989 Extra cab on 1984 Single cab chassis- Project.
CJY91LUXXY

Postby Luxasaurus on Wed, 09 Nov 2011 6:23 +0000

Im really liking the new look Lux imo :O, Wonder if they will let a P plater take one for a test drive lol

Can't wait to see mods and stuff hit this rig head on, I also really dig those rims
For the tailgaters, If you think im going slow now. Wait till i hit my low gears

GU Patrol ;) 4" Lift 10"F/12"R Fox shocks, TD05 18G Turbo, 33" Bighorns, Rear locked and the usual comfort mods
Luxasaurus

Postby braydoSR on Wed, 09 Nov 2011 6:24 +0000

Looks good man. Hopefully your second day is better than the first lol
braydoSR

Postby Batomba on Wed, 09 Nov 2011 6:29 +0000

Okay, now for build info.

I am trying to buy all or most of my stuff from one place if possible to hopefully get the best prices.
So I'm getting this local guy to give my a quote on the following stuff. Planning on decking this out straight away / ASAP, do it in one hit. I bought my ARB tent and accessories and he was hands down cheaper than ARB.

ARB WINCH DELUXE BULLBAR - NOT COLOUR CODED
ARB REAR STEP TOW BAR - NOT COLOUR CODED
ARB SIDE STEPS AND RAILS - NOT COLOUR CODED
ARB CANOPY - LIFT UP WINDOWS BOTH SIDES - SMOOTH FINISH
CANOPY ROOF BARS
ARB FRONT AND REAR AIR LOCKERS
ARB AIR COMPRESSOR AND TYRE INFLATION KIT
ARB DUEL BATTERY KIT INCL SECOND BATTERY
EXTRA SOCKETS IN TUB
SAFARI SNORKEL
OUTBACK 2 DRAW SYSTEM - SIDE BY SIDE WITH NO TOP SLIDE - INCL SIDE AND REAR PANELS
FRIDGE SLIDE AND ARB 60LT FRIDGE
LONG RANGE FUEL TANK - 140L
MAGNUM 9000 WINCH or TJM 9500LB THAT COMES WITH SYNTHETIC ROPE AND HAWSE FAIRLEAD
WATER TANK - EITHER PLASTIC ONE THAT SITS AGAINST REAR OF TUB OR FLEXI TANK THAT SITS IN GAP FROM DRAW SYSTEM
UHF GMETX420 AND ANTENNA
ROOF TOP CONSOLES
VMS 700HD
CANVAS SEAT COVERS

Also want REKON suspension, incl UCA's and diff drop bracket. Wont fit the diff drop bracket, but have it for in the future when I want to raise the lux higher, but for now only want to set it to its lowest setting (2 inch or just over), and fit some 265's on some 16inch black sunraysia wheels (if I can fit 16inch rims on the new lux). Will do the suspension and wheels last. Get all the other gear fitted first.

I know going the Rekon for only a 2 inch lift might be overkill and the expensive option, but in about 2 or 3 years time I'm sure I will want to be getting 33's on there, which then means I can still use the Rekon, just readjust them. Thinking ahead. ;)

If any of what I have said or chosen you want to comment or point me in some other direction, or missed anything, let me know. Happy for as much input from you guys on putting this beast together.

Oh and there is some of the usual mods that I will do from here like the back seat mod and the power to the windows mod..etc..

Cheers

Tim
Batomba

Postby Batomba on Wed, 09 Nov 2011 6:31 +0000

CJY91LUXXY wrote:Look's good mate. Keen to see some mod's. I want those air con control's in my 07 model Haha make the dash look neat.

Funny thing is, I was thinking I want the old dials like yours, less things to go wrong. But thats my thinking.
Batomba

Postby Batomba on Wed, 09 Nov 2011 6:34 +0000

braydoSR wrote:Looks good man. Hopefully your second day is better than the first lol

Yeah I hope so too...
Last edited by Batomba on Fri, 31 Aug 2012 7:26 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Batomba

Postby Jack S on Wed, 09 Nov 2011 6:48 +0000

Nice man, the new style hilux is growing on me!
Certainly have an awesome and very extensive list of mods there, will be keen to see all the gear on the hilux and how it all turns out and looks...

As for the rekon gear you definately won't be disapointed! But one thing, why wait for the diff brackets and do later? Your getting the whole suspension kit at once aren't you, than why not do brackets at same time when everything else is getting done. Yes it's only a 2" lift that you want for now but still won't hurt cv's....
Jack S

Postby Batomba on Wed, 09 Nov 2011 7:14 +0000

Jack S wrote:Nice man, the new style hilux is growing on me!
Certainly have an awesome and very extensive list of mods there, will be keen to see all the gear on the hilux and how it all turns out and looks...

As for the rekon gear you definately won't be disapointed! But one thing, why wait for the diff brackets and do later? Your getting the whole suspension kit at once aren't you, than why not do brackets at same time when everything else is getting done. Yes it's only a 2" lift that you want for now but still won't hurt cv's....

Yeah planning on getting the whole kit in one hit. Few reasons I thought to wait on installing the diff brackets.

1st - if I'm only raising the vehicle at first to 2inch and putting on 265 tires (32's), then putting the different brackets I'm losing a little clearance underneath, about an inch or half an inch. As where putting the bracket on and going for a 3 inch lift and some 285 tires (33's), the extra lift and size of the tires will make up for that little I lose on clearance with the diff drop.

2nd - only reason I'm not going for 33's and 3inch lift is just to not give Toyota reasons to blame any faults on the lift of size of the wheels. After 3 years, then I can go for it. I'm sure if they saw some sort of diff drop bracket, they will be pointing and blaming that if something goes wrong in the region of it.
Batomba

BATOMBA'S LUX BUILD - NEW HILUX ARRIVED

Postby KTM525EXC on Thu, 10 Nov 2011 3:55 +0000

Congrats on geting your new lux mate, sounds like it's gonna be a great build up ahead! Very well thought out 8-) well done.
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

BATOMBA'S LUX BUILD - Should I keep or sell???

Postby Batomba on Thu, 16 Aug 2012 5:48 +0000

Okay guys, need some opinions as I cant make my mind up here!.

I have done nothing with the build as I ended up buying a boat which was around 35k more than I budgeted, so the build money went.

The boat I bought is around 2430KG, just under the 2500KG tone rating. Hilux tows it okay.

But I am worried once I put all the gear on the hilux it may struggle. Feel like I might be punishing it with all the extra weight and then towing a boat. So been thinking of selling it :o (while I can get good money still for it) and getting something more capable of towing it even after having heaps of goodies put on.

But cant make my mind up on what. I have test drove a 70 series gxl wagon. Like the power and torque, but concerned at the high revs at 100kph and also the comfort factor of the seats on long drives.

Didn't mind the drive of the nissan patrol but think the 3 Litre diesel is under power for such a big vehicle, tried finding a good 2006 4.2 litre diesel but options limited and expensive. Don't like the 200 series land cruiser, too luxury, no manual and too big.

Dont like the look of the 100 series land cruiser, and would rather not get anything more than 2 or 3 years old.

So choice is keep searching for a 4.2 patrol, get the 70 series land cruiser or keep the hilux and stop thinking that I'm going to be punishing it. I dunno, its driving me nuts. And I want to make a decision quick. So far leaning more towards the 70 series.

I'm sure I could solve the seat issue with changing them. Oh and the other issue with the 70 series, cant find any good forums for the 70 series landcruiser out there like this one for the hilux. :D
Batomba

Postby Caleb.R on Fri, 17 Aug 2012 4:01 +0000

Pick up my new manual white sr5 today can't wait after trading in brand new auto sr5 haha hind sight is a wonderful thing!!
2012 SR5 Hilux
Caleb.R

Postby toddie on Fri, 17 Aug 2012 4:49 +0000

I'd prefer to tow with the lux than a 4.2 patrol anyday, I'd be keeping it otherwise you'd loose out but in saying that I do like cruisers ;)
toddie

Re: BATOMBA'S LUX BUILD - Should I keep or sell???

Postby Parr on Fri, 17 Aug 2012 6:16 +0000

Batomba wrote:and would rather not get anything more than 2 or 3 years old.

Wont find a 4.2 patrol under 6 years old they stopped making them on 06, have you driven a 4.2 they are gutless after driving the lux.
If you had a spare 40k a duramax patrol would be the way to go :D

No matter what they tell you the v8 cruisers chew oil when towing, and on the scale of v8's on the market it is a very under powered and thirsty motor IMO. I drive a 200 series for my work car.

Exhaust, chip (tuned for torque) and HD clutch on the lux
Parr

Postby Daleschmitke on Fri, 17 Aug 2012 6:24 +0000

man i wouldnt worry about it my dads 06 model pulls a 2.5 tonne goose neck fine still sits on 110 no worries you just have to drop back a gear up hills and only use 5th gear on open roads otherwise it may strip teeth because 5th is a over drive gear but in saying that i still used 5th all the time like normal driving
Daleschmitke

Postby wayn05 on Fri, 17 Aug 2012 6:38 +0000

Yeah i like those base model 200 series, good bit of gear. My brother test drove one about 2 weeks ago and recon they go like the clappers, even compared to his 76 wagon.
It is a bit shitty they only come in an auto tho :|
I've been in my brothers 76 GXL wagon over long distances (Sydney to Vic High Country) and have nothing bad to say about the seats, although i did drive a sierra at the time :? and anything feels like luxury compared to that.
As Toddie said, I'd stick with the lux over a pootrol any day.
Not sure I'm helping but that's my opinion.

All the best with your dilemma ;)
wayn05

Postby Jack S on Fri, 17 Aug 2012 9:46 +0000

I would be keeping the hilux, get a chip it module, 3" exhaust system, sprint booster and a heavy duty clutch!

You wont be disapointed :D
Jack S

Postby Batomba on Fri, 17 Aug 2012 3:02 +0000

Cheers guys for the responses. Still up in the air on making a decision. Going to go for another test drive of a new 70 series again tomorrow, and also there is a second hand one, '09 model I think deck out with goodies for 73K which I will have a look at as well.

Keep you posted!
Batomba

BATOMBA'S LUX BUILD - ITS SOLD

Postby Batomba on Sun, 28 Oct 2012 5:21 +0000

Well this build thread never really got too far. I have sold the Hilux.

I have signed the dotted line for a new 76 series Land Cruiser.
Will keep all updated on the new purchase and the build. Just finalising the accessaries at the moment.

So far looks like I'm without a vehicle till Jan 2013 which sucks.
Batomba

Return to Member Build Ups