Ben's white_hilux (sold) - My Bucks party camping trip pics

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Ben's white_hilux - Gone from Tray to Tub

Postby knoxy on Mon, 12 May 2014 4:25 +0000

Hey mate, thought i'd chime in on your predicament of selling even though you're opting out- I bought a few months ago an 09 dual cab with less than half your kms and a few extras for just shy of 23k.. the guy was incredulous but had it listed for 2 months with no bites at 30k. When i was looking, i didn't look at any hilux with over 200k kms. didn't care what condition really :\ anything with stickers, photos showing it doing serious 4wding etc also deterred me.. just thoughts from a buyer!

In saying all this, i'm loving your write up! Tub makes a huge change and i'm loving it! That alloy tray with it fully extended looks the goods but, looked real nice for a good camping set up! With powder coating my old man got quoted about $120 from a guy in sydney to sand blast and coat some huge gates, so doesn't seem like an expensive endeavour!

cheers
09 Dual Cab SR: Stallion Tray | ARB Winch Bar | Warn 9500 Winch | Ultimate 3" lift| Narva Ultima 225 | Snorkel |MR Diff-Relocation | 32" BFG A/Ts +0 offset| Flares |
knoxy

Postby white_hilux on Tue, 13 May 2014 6:06 +0000

knoxy wrote:Hey mate, thought i'd chime in on your predicament of selling even though you're opting out- I bought a few months ago an 09 dual cab with less than half your kms and a few extras for just shy of 23k.. the guy was incredulous but had it listed for 2 months with no bites at 30k. When i was looking, i didn't look at any hilux with over 200k kms. didn't care what condition really :\ anything with stickers, photos showing it doing serious 4wding etc also deterred me.. just thoughts from a buyer!

In saying all this, i'm loving your write up! Tub makes a huge change and i'm loving it! That alloy tray with it fully extended looks the goods but, looked real nice for a good camping set up! With powder coating my old man got quoted about $120 from a guy in sydney to sand blast and coat some huge gates, so doesn't seem like an expensive endeavour!

cheers

Hi knoxy,

thanks for the thoughts/advise as to selling my car. I realized a while ago that I wanted too much for it and I didn't want to waste $10K so I thought it best to keep it. Really there is nothing wrong with it and I was only selling to give myself something new and with this new tub I feel like I have a new/different car.

cheers
Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab
2" lift, 32" Bighorns, F & R Diff Locked, Rock sliders, TJM Bullbar and Winch

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
white_hilux

Postby Richolux150 on Tue, 13 May 2014 12:15 +0000

Hey Ben,
Tub looks great :) :) :) but no more touch parking at Coles anymore :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers Richo
If cat turds were Gold nuggets, I'd be the richest bloke on the block... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Richolux150

Postby white_hilux on Mon, 19 May 2014 9:19 +0000

got around to installing my reversing camera to the new tub on the weekend. had to make my own little braket to make it work and with a few coats of white paint i reckon it looks pretty good. Even though it is pointing straight back and not facing down (like the factory ones) I can see the feet of a person 2m behind me so pretty good.

Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab

white_hilux

Re: Ben's white_hilux - I'm in a 4wd Action Mag

Postby white_hilux on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 7:26 +0000

Hi guys,

Some of you may be aware that last year I built my own camping trailer from scratch. Before Easter I was contacted by a Magazine called “Camper Trailer Touring” and said that they wanted to put my trailer in there magazine. Well it has been a few months since the shoot and I got the magazine late last week. It is seven pages which is way more than I was expecting and I am very proud of the final result. It is in issue 64 which is in stores now

Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab

white_hilux

Postby TDog on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 8:32 +0000

Nice Work Ben!
My Build Thread!

Beer O'Clock Hill!
LCMP Camp Road!
Janowen Hills Mud Run!

If you don't mind .......... I have a serious crush on my Hilux!
TDog
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 07luxyTD on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 9:51 +0000

Top stuff mate hard work paid off
"Lucky you weren't cut off by my stihl"

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=13794
My Landcruiser Build http://www.newlandcruiser.net/phpbb/vie ... 90&start=0
07luxyTD

Postby jaydo on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 2:49 +0000

Hey mate, how hard is it to change from a tray to a tub? I just went out and bought myself a tub over the weekend. Is it as simple as unbolting everything on the tray and putting the tub on + electrics back in? I know I'll have to go out and buy a little pin and stuff to unlock the fuel cap part, but thats about all there is to it right?

Thanks,
Jaydo
jaydo

Re: Ben's white_hilux - RTT rack and Tonneau

Postby white_hilux on Wed, 10 Sep 2014 7:26 +0000

Over the weekend just gone I under took another project. With my trip to Fraser fast approaching I needed to sort something out for my rtt. I don't want to take my trailer for several reasons so I needed somewhere to put my roof top tent. I also wanted the option of taking a boat and awning so the conventional rtt rack wouldnt work. Here is what I came up with.

Also with the rack I also wanted a tonneau cover to cover anything I carry so I looked online and found a company that makes them and supplies all the fittings for a great price.

Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab

white_hilux

Postby Ronan36 on Thu, 11 Sep 2014 9:09 +0000

That looks the business!
How are you finding the crossover from the tray to style side?
I have also been trying to do dome mods before my trip to Fraser. Labour day long weekend :) when ate you hearing over?
Ronan36

Postby white_hilux on Thu, 11 Sep 2014 9:30 +0000

I am loving the change between the tray and tub. In my opinion it looks a lot better and really haven't noticed much difference in practicality since it's not a work ute and usually doesn't carry camping gear as I have a trailer for that.

I'm heading over from sunday 28th september to saturday 4th october so I might see you over there
Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab

white_hilux

Re: Ben's white_hilux - Fraser Island Bound

Postby white_hilux on Tue, 23 Sep 2014 9:22 +0000

After setting up the tub rack for the roof top tent and new tonneau cover last weekend I decided to give the hilux a solid once over before I head off to Fraser Island this weekend.

The hilux has been suffering over heating issues for a few months now so I decided to take the radiator out and give it a clean. Pretty easy job, took about 2 hours from start to finish. There would have been a good 2-3kgs of mud that I washed out for the main radiator and a few kgs in the air conditioning radiator. I hope that fixes that problem as well as some new fluid :D

Also got my rear air locker working again. As ARB thought, oil was in the air lines and it was a simple job of undoing the line at the diff and turning the compressor on to blow out all the oil and reattaching the line.

Finally I checked all the wheel beaing for play, greased up all the uni joints etc and check all the fluids ready for the big trip. Hopefully it all goes smoothly.

Now I am all packed up and ready to go waiting for the weekend to come around. Can't wait :D

Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab

white_hilux

Re: Ben's white_hilux - Need help selling

Postby white_hilux on Thu, 12 Feb 2015 9:04 +0000

Hi guys, I'm trying to sell my Hilux. I know what I would like price wise but I'm wondering if I would be asking too much. Would some of you guys pretend you were looking to buy a suggest what you would be willing to pay for it. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

- 2006 Toyota Hilux extra cab manual with 248,000kms
- TJM Outback 13 Winch Bullbar with fog lights and recovery points
- TJM Ox winch 9500 pound rated with Synthetic rope
- TJM flares on front
- TJM front underbody engine guard and Transfer case plate
- Buds Customs Rock Slides
- ARB high flow air compressor mounted under the bonnet
- ARB Front & Rear air locking diffs
- Hella Spot lights with 55w HID Conversion Kit
- Safari Snorkel
- 2 inch suspension lift with EFS coils and Bilstein shocks
- 120 Litre long range diesel tank
- 5 Black Infinity Rims 15x8 with Maxxis Bighorn 32x11.5R15 with about 70% tread remaining
- Pioneer Head Unit, IPOD ready, MP3, CD, USB port, AUX port
- Reversing Camera
- Uniden UHF radio
- Genuine Toyota bonnet protector
- Aftermarket Cruise Control
- The tub is off a 2014 Hilux so almost brand new as well as tonneau cover and tub racks.

Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab

white_hilux

Postby rysermon on Thu, 12 Feb 2015 9:22 +0000

one tip if you dont think you'll get what you want for it strip it... take all or most of the accessories off and keep them for your next endevour or sell separately on gumtree etc, so you can recoup costs etc. selling a second hand 4wd most people dont feel its nessisary to pay extra for the awesome goodies you worked your arse off to put on :\ i learned that the hard way with my old 4wd ended up selling it for FA (what it was market value) but took all my goodies off and sold on gumtree made up for about 2 k and kept some for my hilux :). as for what id pay, afaik over in WA youd get close to 30 easily but its the KM that people will want to knock you down on... if it was mine and i wanted to sell it i would want at least 25k for it at minimum :\
"Lifes Simple, You make choices and you dont look back"
08 (09facelift) Hilux SR D4D - Daily and adventure vehicle
99 Silvia S15 Spec r - Sunday driver
rysermon

Postby hiluxruss on Thu, 12 Feb 2015 3:27 +0000

hey mate I just sold my extra cab for 22k 170 000km 2 inch lift long range tank near new 31" muddies winch brush bars bull bar secondary batterry new bailys injectors 6 months ago subs toolboxes im starting to think I may have sold her too cheap ...
hiluxruss

Postby Duglux on Thu, 12 Feb 2015 7:26 +0000

Hey Ben mate, I like the tub! Looks real good!
Im actually thinking about doing the same thing to my hilux just wondering if you had any issues using a 2014 tub with the 2006 cab? Also was the tail lights and wiring all straight forward??
Cheers mate
Duglux

Postby white_hilux on Fri, 13 Feb 2015 6:11 +0000

Duglux wrote:Hey Ben mate, I like the tub! Looks real good!
Im actually thinking about doing the same thing to my hilux just wondering if you had any issues using a 2014 tub with the 2006 cab? Also was the tail lights and wiring all straight forward??
Cheers mate

Hi Duglux,

The tub fit straight on without only a few small issues. Coming from an alloy tray to the tub I had to make new connections for the lights but that was pretty straight forward.

The fuel filler was a little tricky though, had to cut down the pipe and create a plate so it fit in the hole properly and didn't move. I'm still not very happy with my solution on how to open and close the filler door though, at the moment I keep it shut with some rope and a spring that is connected to the chassis and just unhook it to open it. I will need to work something better out and might need to go to a wreckers to get the proper mechanism.

Other than that it was easy. Hope that helps
Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab

white_hilux

Postby 06lux on Fri, 13 Feb 2015 1:08 +0000

Hey Ben. For the fuel filler catch. Have a look under your left rear passenger seat. The cable might be coiled up in there. Mine was. Feed it back out through the grommet and into the hole on the right side of the filler box for it. You will need the little plastic nut for it. It's $8 from Toyota.
I tried selling mine with all the stuff on it for $25000. I've now stripped it clean and everything is going on my new hilux. Selling it stock for $18000 now
FOR SALE
complete standard suspension
2x 265/70/15 general grabber at2 (not on rims)
P
06lux

Postby white_hilux on Fri, 13 Feb 2015 1:21 +0000

06lux wrote:Hey Ben. For the fuel filler catch. Have a look under your left rear passenger seat. The cable might be coiled up in there. Mine was. Feed it back out through the grommet and into the hole on the right side of the filler box for it. You will need the little plastic nut for it. It's $8 from Toyota.
I tried selling mine with all the stuff on it for $25000. I've now stripped it clean and everything is going on my new hilux. Selling it stock for $18000 now

Thanks I will have a look for the cable. I would take it all off if I were getting another Hilux but I'm not
Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab

white_hilux

Re: Ben's white_hilux - Finally sold

Postby white_hilux on Tue, 10 Mar 2015 5:55 +0000

Well after a few months of trying sell the old girl she is finally gone. I will miss her heaps but better things are ahead :D I might see her around though as the new owner only lives about 50kms away.
Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab

white_hilux

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups