Geoff's Xtra Cab. Prep for WA trip

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Geoff's 05 Xtra Cab Build. WA trip photos

Postby MarkYounger on Wed, 24 Oct 2012 8:06 +0000

Looks like a lot of good fun.
Check out my build: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=10969
MarkYounger

Re: Geoff's 05 Xtra Cab Build. WA trip photos

Postby Bushbound on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 5:20 +0000

Post Anne Beadell update.
I've just been up at Tassiebrett's house and he thought my bull bar was loose but after some investigation we found that its all tight but the mounting points on the bull bar are starting to crack and something's broken. I guess my weekend is sorted now, remove bull bar and repair it, then add some bracing so I doesn't happen again or break the chassis. I'll post up some photo's when I have it off and we can see whats broken and whats needed to fix it.

Geoff
Danger is natures way of eliminating stupid people.
Bushbound

Re: Geoff's 05 Xtra Cab. Bull bar cracking up

Postby jakelux on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 6:23 +0000

Thats no good :evil:
You gonna take some pics and send them to your mate at TJM..? :lol:

Sorry had to do it... :roll:
Bogged to the hills at Montezuma..

I need to get the footage off Mick of the workhorse pulling you out!!
jakelux

Postby lowlux1 on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 7:24 +0000

Nice photo at Montezuma

We've been out there twice in the last month pulling people out. Both in Patrols too. They were driving in there by themselves with no winch or other vehicles, Morons.
One bloke slept in his car overnight and walked out to the highway to get help.
lowlux1

Postby jakelux on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 9:00 +0000

lowlux1 wrote:Nice photo at Montezuma

We've been out there twice in the last month pulling people out. Both in Patrols too. They were driving in there by themselves with no winch or other vehicles, Morons.

Serious..??
It's a bloody easy track. I can't believe how dry the tracks are on the West compared to down south.
jakelux

Postby lowlux1 on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 9:53 +0000

jakelux wrote:
lowlux1 wrote:Nice photo at Montezuma

Serious..??
It's a bloody easy track. I can't believe how dry the tracks are on the West compared to down south.

Yep pretty easy, work cruiser does it no dramas.

Theres one hole in the middle of the track that seems to catch people out. Still easy but people make it look hard.

Then we have to go in and drag em out.
lowlux1

Postby Bushbound on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 1:58 +0000

Thanks Jake. I wasn't bogged, I was sitting on the back diff and the wheel was a foot off the bottom of the rut.
I can also report the the West Coast of Tassie did what the Anne Beadell couldn't ----- break the 2 zippy ties that hold the false floor to the canopy frame.
jakelux wrote:You gonna take some pics and send them to your mate at TJM..?

Yes the old mates at TJM will hear from me, pretty poor when their 'Outback Bar' cracks and is about to fall to bits after 45km, they're a joke.
Geoff
Bushbound

Postby Bushbound on Sun, 27 Jan 2013 8:23 +0000

After some debate with tjm, they offered to replace my T13 Outback bar with the new poverty pack bar, a fairly good offer when I consider the Outback bar is out of warranty and would require at least a days work for me and a mate to repair it properly, then have it re powder coated but the bar is nearly as ugly as the original Toyota bar, and after some more discussions, some $$ changed hands and I got a new T13 Deluxe Bar. When I unpacked the bar I found the bar hadn't been finished and was covered in spatter, sharp edges and the powder coating was just crap, so it went back and I got another new bar. This one has much better finish but one of the fog light brackets isn't in quite the right place and the LHS aerial leans out to the left while the RHS one leans back.
The local tjm dealer has done all he can to help me while tjm's head office has sat on its hands and not given a rats ass that my car has been off the road since xmas when I removed the original bar.
If you dont own a tjm T13 Ouyback Bar, skip this parragraph, if you do I suggest you plan to remove your bar and inspect it as the plate used to mount onto the front of the chassis are to light and will crack down beside the welds, especially if you dont have a winch fitted, as it uses the winch as a brace. To repair the bar reqires all the mounting plates to be cut off, and replaced with 8 or 10mm plates - about a days work for 2 men in an engineering workshop. At the very least go and give the top of your bull bar a good push and see if it moves or makes any noise, a sure sign its cracked.

Its looked like this since xmas

Bringing the new bar home - its a bloody big box.

After fitting the Spotties, aerials, sand flag -- ready for the desert.
Geoff
Bushbound

Re: Geoff's 05 Xtra Cab. Replacement Bull BAr fitted.

Postby Bushbound on Sat, 23 Mar 2013 5:39 +0000

The canvas canopy on my ute is amazing as NO dust gets in, even on the dustiest outback roads, is waterproof even it the worst Tasmanian Highland storms but its downfall is that dust gets sucked onto the back of it and makes the zips almost impossible to use. I'm definately not changing the design of it, or fitting an aerofoyle to the back so had velcro flaps fitted over the 3 zips on the back. Shit, the whole canopy was green once, now a light rusty red color.

Flap opens to reveal clean zip ---

Also had a wear strip fitted to the leading corners as they were showing signs of wear from all the overgrown tracks I've been down, so best to protect them now as the GAry Highway is surposed to be very overgrown.

Side / brush rails and steps ordered, should arrive next week.
Geoff
Bushbound

Re: Geoff's Xtra Cab. Prep for 3 month offroad trip

Postby Bushbound on Wed, 17 Apr 2013 4:33 +0000

I've customised my new bull bar by fitting mesh covers in the 2 holes in the front of the bar

and to increase air flow, I cut the front section out of the winch cover and welded the same mesh over it and they work just fine at keeping the bugs out.

TJM managed to weld the aerial brackets on so that the LHS aerial leans out to the left and the RHS aerial leans backwards and is right in the middle of the road, so I made up an angle bracket and moved the aerials about 2 inches towards the centre and out of my line of sight.

I made a plate to cover the hole in the centre of the bumper and decieded on only 2 spotlights, so redrilled the holes to space them equally on the bar.

Bought some LED replacements for the halogen globes (cheap off fleabay) in the useless fog lights and have wired them as daylight running lights. they are useless in the dark and throw about as much light as a 3 led tourch but are bright during the day.
The bull bar vibrates badly on corrugated roads so I have had to buy side seps and brush rails to brace it before it breaks the chassis, these have been cut down and fitted and made a big difference to the vibrating. Will post up some photos when they finally fitted.
Geoff

Bushbound

Re: Geoff's Xtra Cab. Bullbar updated pics

Postby StevenS on Wed, 17 Apr 2013 5:16 +0000

Very nice, but with those LED fog lights, that design of LED bulb is horrible for surviving rough tracks - nearly always end up snapping off the base and rattling around inside the light (is not alot of fun to fish out either)
StevenS

Postby Bushbound on Wed, 17 Apr 2013 5:28 +0000

StevenS wrote:Very nice, but with those LED fog lights, that design of LED bulb is horrible for surviving rough tracks - nearly always end up snapping off the base and rattling around inside the light (is not alot of fun to fish out either)

Thanks for the heads up, I sort of figured that they might fall to bits so will keep an eye on them but the lights are useless for anything else as fog lights need to be close to the road and shine under the fog.
Geoff
Bushbound

Postby Thunderbolt on Wed, 17 Apr 2013 5:38 +0000

Sweet, are you running quartz or HID in the Hella's?
The older I get the better I was

MY BUILD viewtopic.php?f=41&t=16134
Thunderbolt

Postby Bushbound on Thu, 18 Apr 2013 3:07 +0000

Thunderbolt wrote:Sweet, are you running quartz or HID in the Hella's?

I try not to drive at night so only have the standard halogen globes in them, when the shopping list for things I need gets a bit shorter, I may upgrade to HID.
Geoff
Bushbound

Postby Bushbound on Sun, 21 Apr 2013 5:02 +0000

I've cut the rear end off the side steps, TJM supply dual cab steps for the xtra cab and they are about 250ml too long, so I shortened them to the end of the cab. This also removed the elbow / return TJM had fitted on the end of the step, another of their special designs - designed to catch everything that goes by it and be a general nuisance in the bush.

Also cut the front of the checker plate step as it too was designed to catch things and be a nuisance.

They seem to work Ok and the side bars have stabilised the bull bar as they were bought for.
Geoff
Bushbound

Postby Bushbound on Thu, 30 May 2013 5:23 +0000

Prep is coming along well and I have applied for all my permits, still waiting on a couple but lots of time yet.
I had an Exceedy HD clutch fitted last week and happy with it, gave it a test in the Highlands last weekend and all seems good.
Bought 2nd Engel today and scored the big bonus pack and a black and gold transit bag from an anaversery model chucked in because they couldn't find the standard one to sell me -- gotta be happy with that.
I'll pull the seats and other Engel out on the weekend, remove the padded seat back, rear seat belts and any xtra trim and fit the 2 engels and work out a mounting system, run some new wires for the second one -- shouldn't take more than a couple of days.
I had Bayleys injectors fitted during the week and if their injectors are as good as their customer service, then we're on a winner, I have no doubt they will be successful or I wouldn't have fitted them.

Geoff
Bushbound

Postby Bushbound on Tue, 10 Sep 2013 9:29 +0000

8 weeks and 15,700km into my LSL trip and everything is going well.
I crossed the Simpson via French line, Knolls Track, Rig Road and the southern end of Colsons Track. The French Line is very rough with whoopdies from morons towing trailers and getting stuck and the following vehicles just flop into them and for most people the average speed seems to be below 20kph. The other tracks were much better and a lot easier on the car and passengers - I broke a cup and my glass on the first day, never broken anything before in many thousands of touring km's before.
From Mt Dare I heade up Binns Track to Alice Springs where we had a night in a motel so it was showers all round, do the washing, top up the groceries and headed south on the Old Ghan Track to Finke, its very chopped up with bad corrugations and lots of rubbish left by the spectators of the Finke Desert Race, a sad sight as they're 4x4 enthusiasts so it reflects badly on all of us.
From Finke we headed into the Lambert Centre, the geographic centre of Australia, then across to Uluru via Kulgera. The Uluru resort is the absolute pits, way overpriced and shit facilities but we had to stay there for 2 days while I swapped passengers.
With my usual travelling mate we headed down the Great Central Road to Warburton, then out on the Heather and Gunbarrle hways to Evard Junction, turned north up the Gary Highway to the Kidson Track and out to Kunawarritji roadhouse for fuel, then back into Alice Springs on the Gary Junction Road.
We then dodged along Binns Track to Tennant Creek then onto the bitumen to Darwin for a family event and get some new brackets made for my favourite acessory, my TJM T13 bull bar that was a constant source of problems as it continually tried to fall off and required constant attention. More about that piece of shit later.
We headed south from Darwin and across to Halls Creek and down the Canning Stock Route to Wiluna and into Perth.
Its been a huge trip and I still have another 4 weeks to go -- I'm preparing to race the Australasian Safari as Service Vehicle / Crew for car 127, then head home across the rest of the GCR to Warburton, then south down the Connie Sue.
So far no real problems to report, the Hilux has handled everything I've pointed it at and has been serviced ready for more.
I'll post up seperate trip reports and photos when time allows.
Geoff
Bushbound

Re: Geoff's Xtra Cab. Long Srevice trip update

Postby ajh on Tue, 10 Sep 2013 9:48 +0000

Sounds awesome! How's the canopy holding up? Any dust getting in?
ajh

Postby ajh on Tue, 10 Sep 2013 9:54 +0000

Never mind just read above posts. I had always though canvas canopies would let dust in. Have you done any deep river crossings with that canopy yet?
ajh

Postby Bushbound on Wed, 11 Sep 2013 8:14 +0000

ajh wrote:Sounds awesome! How's the canopy holding up? Any dust getting in?

Canopy took a battering on the Gary and Canning from overgrown tracks but is standing up well. I swept out the false floor over the weekend and wouldn't have been 2 tea spoons of dust in there and I crossed some very dusty tracks and a few bull dust holes so I'm very happy with it.
I had to replace another zip in Perth - I've had 3 'Chunky' style zips fail and now have 2 'Spiral' zips in the back flap, they seem a lot stronger and cope with dust better.
I haven't done any deep water crossings but guess that it will leak water in if its a long crossing.

Geoff
Bushbound

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups