Geoff's Xtra Cab. Prep for WA trip

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Geoff's Xtra Cab. Prep for WA trip

Postby Bushbound on Fri, 17 Jun 2011 4:00 +0000

Building the ‘White Rhino’.

‘The Wilderness Explorer’, my old 1983, 2.2litre diesel 4 speed Hilux had reached its ‘Use By date’ and after 350000 slow km it was time for a new vehicle. I bought a standard 2005 Xtra Cab D4D with aluminium tray from a dealer in Qld and my Dad and I drove it home to Tasmania on AFL grand final weekend, 2009. We left Nambour early Friday morning and arrived in Melbourne midday Saturday, navigated through the traffic to the ferry terminal and onto the ferry, got tossed about all night as we crossed Bass Straight on a rough crossing and home Sunday lunch time.
I set about turning a standard Hilux into ‘The White Rhino’, a multi purpose vehicle that would be used for extended touring in the outback, camping in Tasmania’s highlands in extreme weather and carting firewood for my wood heater at home.
I quickly had the windows tinted, a dash mat and seat covers and LED interior light made the vehicle bearable to drive, then fitted 245 X 16 tyres onto silver Sunnies, a TJM T13 bull bar and a pair of Hella Rally 4000 spot lights. While at the auto electrician, we also wired in the reversing lights and a power supply to the headboard on the tray for work lights and a power supply for the new GME 3100 UHF that I fitted into the ash tray slot. Next I fitted the mobile phone car kit and LR aerial. I was given a new snorkel by a friend who had a disagreement with its supplier over another matter, so on it went and the Rhino was starting to look how I wanted it.

Whoops, this caused a hiccup as it took weeks to clean the mud out and get the carpet dry.

Between March and August 2010 I custom built a Flat Tray with steel sides and ply wood floor. It has LED tail lights and High Lift Jacking points beside the tail lights.

An under tray tool box on passengers side for rubbish bin when we travel. Under the floor there is a holder for long handle shovel, an 85 litre plastic water tank and a small stainless steel tank that holds about 15 litres and is kept full at all times. I also made and fitted a reserve diesel tank that holds 18 litres of diesel that can be drained into the main tank when needed.

I had a canvas canopy made that includes an annex 2.1 long that zips across the rear of the main canopy and has 3 sides that zip on when needed. This annex forms the kitchen and is put on every time I camp. It takes 10 minutes to put it on by myself in strong winds but much quicker with 2 people. With the Camp Kitchen fully extended there is enough room for 2 people + dog to sit out of the weather – or 1 person to sit while other cooks a meal.
There is a similar but larger annex that zips onto the passengers side of the canopy and combined they give a lot of area under cover and 2 people can pack the whole camp away in less that 15 minutes.

The camper consists of a box frame that fits inside the canopy as a false floor. The top is a QS bed with a 4x4 mat inside a custom made swag to keep everything dust free and inside the false floor has runners at the rear for the Camp Kitchen, and 2 utility draws + draws and storage space up the passengers side.
The Camp Kitchen slides out the rear of the canopy and has a cutlery draw, full size 2 burner gas stove and a big Pantry Draw for storing tin food and other heavy items. It can be pulled out to use stove without putting legs under but needs support when fully out.

I fitted an ARB battery box + N70ZZ battery using a constant duty solenoid to isolate the 2 batteries. This will be upgraded to a dc – dc charging system somewhere down the track. Fitted an extra Fuse Box behind Glove Box, this is fed from second battery and powers all the vehicle accessories, it has 3 fuses with constant power and 3 that are switched with the accessories. Fitted 3 marine grade cigarette lighters into panel under ash tray, 2 with switched power for GPS, Satnav, phone etc and 1 with constant power for Engel but plan to fit another before next trip.

I then permanently mounted a 45 litre Engel behind my seat and we were ready to travel.
The first trip to Lake Eyre was a successful test of the whole set up and needed very few mods when we got home.

I have since fitted Cal Offroad Touring Pack with Billies all round that gave me 2” lift when its loaded, so sits pretty tall and rides nice when its loaded. Thanks to Tassiebrett for his assistance fitting the struts.
After filling the Transfer Case with mud and water during at trip to Sth Aust. in March 2011, I have fitted breathers to both diffs, gearbox and transfer case. I custom made a manifold and use standard pneumatic fittings for the rest.
To save drilling holes in the vehicle I have made up a rail with drilled and tapped holes to hold the electrical relays and fuse holders along the RHS inner guard. Working on a mounting plate for ARB compressor under passengers seat + separate manifold for hose fitting and Locker solonoids under the bonnet.

That’s all I can afford as I recover from replacing a transfer case but before I cross the Simpson Desert next year I’ll add a long range fuel tank and bigger tyres to fill in the guards now its lifted.
It’s a great vehicle to travel in and the camper works really well offering enough comfort and ease of use that even a woman doesn’t complain when we camp.
Geoff
Last edited by Bushbound on Fri, 06 Feb 2015 3:50 +0000, edited 15 times in total.
Danger is natures way of eliminating stupid people.
Bushbound

Re: Geoff's 05 Xtra Cab Build

Postby kyle300exc on Fri, 17 Jun 2011 4:21 +0000

Ah bushbound your an ideas man................
Nice build up looks like youve put a lot of time and effort into it.
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby ultimate on Fri, 17 Jun 2011 4:26 +0000

Great build up. Keep the pics coming ;)
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby Alby on Fri, 17 Jun 2011 5:02 +0000

ultimate wrote:Great build up. Keep the pics coming ;)

X 2 a good practical setup you have there
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby KTM525EXC on Fri, 17 Jun 2011 6:41 +0000

Wow!! very well set up lux mate, very practical. Where in SA did ya do the damage?
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby dwglwc on Fri, 17 Jun 2011 6:56 +0000

Great Write up Geoff. I like you kitchen/ camp setup. I'm looking at doing something similar in the future.

Great work. I need to talk to you at some stage about your transfer case getting wet.

Cheers Duncan ;)
dwglwc

Postby Bushbound on Fri, 17 Jun 2011 7:46 +0000

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9923
KTM525EXC wrote:Wow!! very well set up lux mate, very practical. Where in SA did ya do the damage?

Between Skull Camp Tanks and Lake Gairdner / Mt Ive Station, 31/2 inches of rain during the day turned the whole area into a giant sea, waded through water for 51/2 hours, then mud from Mt Ive Station to Iron Knob. See trip report -
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9923

kyle300exc wrote:Ah bushbound your an ideas man................
Nice build up looks like youve put a lot of time and effort into it.

I've been thinking about it for about 35 years now, so knew pretty much what I wanted.
Geoff
Bushbound

Re: Geoff's 05 Xtra Cab, Sidewinder fitted

Postby Bushbound on Sun, 31 Jul 2011 5:22 +0000

I've been looking for a digital volt meter to check second battery voltage and came across the ABR Sidewinder, a unit that has digital volt meter + 3 position switch to check each battery and OFF position + wired with a switch to switch the solonoid I use to isolate my batteries, all for about $90, cheapest I could find were on Ebay. I wired it in today and attached it to console with velcro (good stuff) and am very happy with it.
Added the 4th cigarette lighter socket while I had the dashboard apart, that makes 2 constant power and 2 switched with the ignition, all running off second battery.

Geoff
Bushbound

Re: Geoff's 05 Xtra Cab Build. recovery points and front pro

Postby Bushbound on Fri, 03 Feb 2012 3:51 +0000

I've made recovery points for the front end and a pair of bash plates that go from the bull bar to the gearbox crossmember.

My mate and I camped at Bronte in the Central Highlands of Tasmania over New Year

the paddocks were full of rocks, some as big as wheel barrows, hidden in the grass and a couple of these gave my new bash plates a trial run, denting them before they even got painted.

[Image

Santa brought me a Elinz navigator/dvd/reversing camera for xmas, its a welcome addition as rear vision is almost zero with the canopy on.

The switch on the right is for the reverse camera, so it can be turned on any time the Acessories is on.
The RED LED warning light is the water in fuel warning. I hunted around and bought a Delphi filter with a water sensor fitted to the bowl, same base and filter as the usual Delphi but has an alloy bowl with a water sensor fitted.

I am lifting the tray off this weekend to replace the original fuel tank with a 160 litre tank that requires my Reserve fuel tank to be removed, it'll be replaced with a custom made tank that will hold over 40 litres in tanks, ready for crossing the Anne Beadell Highway in September.
Geoff
Bushbound

Re: Geoff's 05 Xtra Cab Build. Long Range Tank installed.

Postby Bushbound on Sat, 11 Feb 2012 5:29 +0000

I've fitted an Outback Acessories long Range Tank today, tank cost $1100 and filling it cost $235 to fill it. Its claimed to be 160 litres but I could only get 150 litres in it.

I'm very pleased thet the second water tank and the reserve diesel tank still fit

Its pretty crowded under the tray but I have 170 litres of diesel and 110 litres of water in tanks.

Geoff
Bushbound

Geoff's 05 Xtra Cab Build. Long Range Tank installed.

Postby Mattya on Sat, 11 Feb 2012 8:38 +0000

Nice work mate. It's good to see the work from another x cab owner with the same purpose in mind.
Are the water and reserve fuel cells custom made by your self? If so could you give us a bit more detail?
Im Always On The Edge, It Only The Sharpness That Varys.
Mattya
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bushbound on Sun, 12 Feb 2012 8:09 +0000

Matt,
The 2 tanks are made from 6" stainless steel tube and custom made to fill the space under the tray, the fuel tank holds 19 litres, has seperate filler and is drained into the main tank when needed. The water tank holds abou15 litres and is used only for drinking water, never put bore water in it. I also use this tank for day and overnight bush trips where I dont need to fill the big water tank. Both diesel tanks fill up on passengers side and both water tank fillers are on drivers side.
I built the whole set up myself - except canvas and joinery work - and would use 8" tube if I was to do it again for more volume, I had 6" and 10" tube on hand but 10" is just too big.
Hope this helps,
Geoff
Bushbound

Postby jakelux on Sun, 12 Feb 2012 2:59 +0000

Nice work with the long ranger Geoff, good that ya didn't have to mod/move your other tanks.
So how many K's are you expecting to get between fuel stops?

I saw the Rhino this morning at shoreline, lift still looks big! What did it end up settling at? 3 inch? You still gonna get some 265's when your current tyres wear down?

Jake
jakelux

Postby Bushbound on Wed, 15 Feb 2012 8:35 +0000

Hi Jake, not to sure what the suspension settled down to but is still high so probably 3 inch+.
With both tanks full, I'd be able to drive Hobart - Perth with one fuel stop, currently holding 175 litres in tanks @ 10 litres per 100km should give me a 1700km range.
Before I head to WA later in the year I will make and fit at least one more fuel tank as I want to carry 200 litres so we can carry the extra fuel for the race car in my tanks and just pump it across, this will save us carrying jerry's of diesel. Current plan is to fit a pump and hose into the under tray tool box and connect this into my tanks, we will have to check that this is permitted under the Safari rules.
I will fit new 265 70 X16's (metric 31's) in Perth in September before we race the Safari and drive home across the Anne Beadell Highway so hoping I dont damage them too much in Flinders Ranges next month.

Geoff
Bushbound

Postby Bushbound on Sun, 04 Mar 2012 7:34 +0000

My auto lecky mate is home from WA and has finished wireing in my compressor, so another job is finished and ticked of the list of things to do.
I mounted the compressor under the passengers seat, on a piece of 6mm aluminium and mounted the plate through the floor. To take any load off the fittings on the compressor I made a manifold that bolts across the rear seat mounts and this also gives the compressor some protection from loose items on the floor.

It all works well.
Geoff
Bushbound

Re: Geoff's 05 Xtra Cab Build. custom air compressor setup

Postby dute on Sun, 04 Mar 2012 7:57 +0000

Now thats a neat setup well done . . .
FCCW

inside Dute's black hole

"Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill"
dute

Postby lais817 on Sun, 04 Mar 2012 3:08 +0000

I'm with Dute mate, compressor looks cleans as, I've been thinking of something similar myself. How did you break the news to your missus about being the one who has to get out to inflate the tires since the compressor is on that side? :lol:
Insert witty comment here

Check out my Build: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=11921
lais817

Postby Bushbound on Sun, 04 Mar 2012 3:57 +0000

lais817 wrote:How did you break the news to your missus about being the one who has to get out to inflate the tires since the compressor is on that side?

Easy, I told her she had to go a few of years ago, a couple of months before I bought the Hilux.
Geoff
Bushbound

Postby lais817 on Sun, 04 Mar 2012 6:20 +0000

Bushbound wrote:
lais817 wrote:How did you break the news to your missus about being the one who has to get out to inflate the tires since the compressor is on that side?

Easy, I told her she had to go a few of years ago, a couple of months before I bought the Hilux.
Geoff

Fair enough, Do you know what size wiring your mate used to run the compressor?
Insert witty comment here

Check out my Build: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=11921
lais817

Postby scottsr20 on Mon, 05 Mar 2012 4:15 +0000

What do the 2 blue hoses run to and why does one have a valve on it Geoff ?
scottsr20

Next

Return to Member Build Ups