Hilux KUN26L build in USA

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Hilux KUN26L build in USA

Postby AmeriKUN26 on Tue, 12 Jan 2021 6:52 +0000

DeadlyBeast wrote:Looking good
Some leaf packs are left/right side specific sometimes indicated by a "+" on one of the packs and a "-" on the other. Not sure if that might be a contributing cause of the uneven height.

Pre-empting other comments: many accounts of strut spacers causing strut failures
Have you jacked up the rear by the centre and measured the front L/R heights?
Is common for the drivers side to be about 10mm higher when cabin is unoccupied

These leafs are not side specific, same part number and I called Dobinson's to ask as that was my suspicion too. They said the parabolics have two spacers installed at the top of the leaf pack, one or both can be moved to the bottom for leveling.

As far as the spacer I ordered, it's a 1/4" poly unit to combat the "taco lean" battery gas tank and driver all on the left here. Not the big 2" "lift spacers" that I removed. I'll decide whether or not to install it after a couple more weeks of settling. I did jack it up by the diff and measurements were pretty close. Either way it's loads better after swapping leafs! Thanks for the input!
AmeriKUN26

Postby AmeriKUN26 on Tue, 12 Jan 2021 6:55 +0000

Caleebra wrote:Dude! Thats awesome finds on the Taco vs Hilux parts!
In other words you can actually fit some beefy UCA/LCA or a long travel kit from, say; Total Chaos or Dirt King Fabrication, etc.
Wonder if the steering rods and front axles(stronger & wider) can be swapped also, you can pretty much build a Tacoma styled Hilux with wider stance, would look sick!

But then again, waaaay to much money to go that far... :lol:

On topic; The Hilux has come along nicely! Cant wait to see more! :D

So far the UCA is the only interchangeable part up front. LCAs, CV axles etc. Were a no-go. That would be sweet though, and it would save me heaps on shipping! And thanks, it really is coming along, albeit slowly!
AmeriKUN26

Postby hiluxxury on Tue, 12 Jan 2021 11:55 +0000

Its a real pity the CVs arent a direct swap.

Do you know why the LCA doesnt fit?
hiluxxury

Postby AmeriKUN26 on Wed, 13 Jan 2021 5:15 +0000

hiluxxury wrote:Its a real pity the CVs arent a direct swap.

Do you know why the LCA doesnt fit?

Agreed on the CVs! And I did not physically try the LCAs, it was based on reading. It may be possible to swap the entire front suspension setup from the frame out, maybe then the CVs would work. I however will not be that guinea pig unless I roll it... :lol:

New UCAs will be here tomorrow, will probably get them on in the next week or so then realign.
AmeriKUN26

Postby hiluxxury on Wed, 13 Jan 2021 7:52 +0000

Yeah I've played with the idea of swapping the front end for prado or FJ parts for a few more options but time, money and need have prevented that.
hiluxxury

Previous

Return to Member Build Ups