New Quick Reference thread finders.

New Quick Reference thread finders.

Postby Skog07 on Tue, 29 Sep 2009 11:52 +0000

I have recently added quick reference thread finders to both the suspension forum and the tyre section.
These are commonly asked questions asked by the majority of new members on to the site. Please feel free to ask general questions and give advice to questions asked on these threads, rather than start a new topic for a question that possibly would have been covered in these particular topic.
Look forward comments and if any particular faults can be found so they can be ammended.
Here are the threads.
QUICK REFERENCE THREAD FINDER(Suspension section)
QUICK REFERENCE THREAD FINDER(Tyre section)
Will be working on the drivetrain forum next.
Hopefully this will help the search engine on the site from getting clogged up with double up topics.
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Re: New Quick Reference thread finders.

Postby Quinny34 on Wed, 30 Sep 2009 6:11 +0000

LOL... I thought you meant bolt threads.... :ugeek: My Dumbarse...

Great Idea Skog... Is there any way to make this also appear at the top of the search returns?
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodw on Wed, 30 Sep 2009 10:38 +0000

Good stuff mate, this one is probably worth adding too
http://newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1796

And while you are at it, just for Quinny you might as well post up a discussion of metric threads, I know you want to do it. I am sure you outlined it in an email to me one day, don't make me find it :oops: . So Quinny is it a M6x1.0 or a M6x1.25 you want to abuse with your 10mm spanner? I thought that Leprachauns would only be interested in the smaller threads mate, but I know Max will go straight for the M12 :lol: :lol: :lol:
rodw

Postby Quinny34 on Wed, 30 Sep 2009 10:43 +0000

And while you are at it, just for Quinny you might as well post up a discussion of metric threads, I know you want to do it. I am sure you outlined it in an email to me one day, don't make me find it . So Quinny is it a M6x1.0 or a M6x1.25 you want to abuse with your 10mm spanner? I thought that Leprachauns would only be interested in the smaller threads mate, but I know Max will go straight for the M12

I so walked into that..... :evil:

But you have the thread size wrong... haven't you heard about the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow... everyone wants it.. :o
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Skog07 on Wed, 30 Sep 2009 11:34 +0000

Thanks Rod will add that one a well. Some of these topics are right at the back of the suspension forum and are really great informative topics.
Quinny23 wrote:LOL... I thought you meant bolt threads.... :ugeek: My Dumbarse...

Great Idea Skog... Is there any way to make this also appear at the top of the search returns?

Quinny not sure about that mate. I think what you will find as these topic spring back into life that they will be at the top of the forums anyway???

Just on another note..... The magical and mysterious quick refernece METRIC thread guide is.............
To find the drill size for a metric thread. You need the two vital figures.
Thread Diametre and Pitch (lead)
So to find out the tapping drill size.
Thread dia. minus pitch(lead) = tapping drill size..
So the tapping drill size for a M6 X 1 thread is.
Dia. 6mm - 1mm(Pitch) = 5mm drill size.
Works for all of the metric sizes..fine coarse.
In the future will also do a engineering formula post in the Member build up thread with alot of the common engineering cal''c required for fabrication projects.
Cheers
Skog :)
Skog07

Postby rodw on Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:02 +0000

Skog07 wrote:Just on another note..... The magical and mysterious quick refernece METRIC thread guide is.............
To find the drill size for a metric thread. You need the two vital figures.
Thread Diametre and Pitch (lead)
So to find out the tapping drill size.
Thread dia. minus pitch(lead) = tapping drill size..
So the tapping drill size for a M6 X 1 thread is.
Dia. 6mm - 1mm(Pitch) = 5mm drill size.
Works for all of the metric sizes..fine coarse.
In the future will also do a engineering formula post in the Member build up thread with alot of the common engineering cal''c required for fabrication projects.
Cheers

Thanks Mark, we should capture a bit more for Quinny's benefit. Japanese vehicles usually use a metric fine thread (1.25 pitch) but there are some exceptions (eg. Diff breathers which use Imperial NPT threads). The bolt heads seem to correspond with the thread size so 10mm spanner = M6, 12mm Spanner = M8, 14mm spanner = M10, 19mm spanner = M12.

So now a bit of interesting trivia for Quinny's benefit.
Quinny23 wrote:
And while you are at it, just for Quinny you might as well post up a discussion of metric threads, I know you want to do it. I am sure you outlined it in an email to me one day, don't make me find it . So Quinny is it a M6x1.0 or a M6x1.25 you want to abuse with your 10mm spanner? I thought that Leprachauns would only be interested in the smaller threads mate, but I know Max will go straight for the M12

I so walked into that..... :evil:

But you have the thread size wrong... haven't you heard about the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow... everyone wants it.. :o

A little known fact from my Ag. College days mate. Did you know that pigs have a left hand thread :?: Be darned if I am going to measure the pitch on that one mate! Sounds like another job for Leprechauns! :evil: :evil:
rodw

Postby Brookster on Fri, 09 Oct 2009 6:13 +0000

Rod,
I find that if you thread the thread through the bobbin correctly the machine will cope ok. I reckon the pre-war treadle Singers are superior in every way to the current electronic Elna machines. Gotta hold your mouth the right way though.
IF A MAN TALKS IN THE FOREST AND THERE IS NO WOMAN TO HEAR HIM, IS HE STILL WRONG?
Brookster

Postby rodw on Fri, 09 Oct 2009 6:20 +0000

It's not the machine I am worried too much about. What exactly is it you thread through the bobbin Brookster?

Geez, be careful here, Mark will ban us after stuffing up his thread :twisted: :twisted:
rodw

Postby Steve9R on Fri, 09 Oct 2009 7:40 +0000

ARGH !!!!
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby Skog07 on Thu, 15 Oct 2009 9:44 +0000

Added a new quick thread finder to the Member Build Up forum.
Well done Mmaaxx. A great idea. :)
Here it is...
viewtopic.php?f=41&p=58317#p58317
The list is only going to show individual Custom build ups and not rig build ups. So it is easily categorised.
As always we would love to hear some feed back as well.
Cheers
Skog07

Return to Announcements & News