What oils do you use for your Lux???

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Re: What oils do you use for your Lux???

Postby gregn on Tue, 23 Jun 2015 5:31 +0000

ive been useing valvaline deisel extra 15w40 in my hilux and also my trctors etc because thats what my dealer sells anyone got any thoughts on this oil?
gregn

Postby gregn on Tue, 23 Jun 2015 5:34 +0000

ive been useing valvaline deisel extra 15w40 in my hilux and also my trctors etc because thats what my dealer sells anyone got any thoughts on this oil?
gregn

Postby AdamHC on Mon, 29 Jun 2015 2:07 +0000

Talktheroo wrote:
AdamHC wrote:Couldn't find the fill and drain bolts for a bit there was that much old oil covering them :oops:

First time changing front diff oil and it actually wasn't as hard as I expected. Thanks roo for the guides on torque. Few questions though:

There was a fair bit of filings on the magnet for the drain plug but the oil that came out was pretty clear. This normal?

Would using something like Copper Eze on the thread be beneficial or do damage?

Should washers be replaced every time the oil is changed? I was planning to replace but forgot to buy them and was already half way through before I realised.

Do you add Nulon G70 to diff oils Roo?

Thanks guys :D

Yes to the G70.
I always replace the washers on both the filler and the drain plugs on the front diffs. Especially the drain plug.
The filings are pretty normal, on the magnet. No long filings, though.
I wouldn't put Copper Eze on the threads of a differential. You have the gear oil there, you see. Great for engine re-assembly, for all the bolts. Or almost anything else.
Good that you got that drain plug out on the front diff. I am always cold chiselling them out for people.
The Roo.

Did my gearbox and transfer this morning and added the g70. Can't believe the difference. Much easier and smoother shifting. Might also be due to changing from castrol 80w 90 to penrite 75w 90. But operating viscosity should be the same(?) so who knows. All I know is that the difference was very noticeable for me. It's nice when you spend the extra money and see the difference instantly.
AdamHC

Postby Talktheroo on Tue, 30 Jun 2015 6:56 +0000

We found that the 10mm hex are all different sizes for the front differential drain plug. Bad engineering and manufacturing. For a plug that is supposed to be tightened to 65Nms, well, this is a bad situation.

Cold chiselling yet another front differential drain plug out.
The Roo.
Passing through country and seeing country are two different things.
Talktheroo

Postby Torsion on Fri, 07 Aug 2015 10:07 +0000

Nice Roo!
Good visual for those that haven't seen this.
Torsion

Postby czechdave on Sat, 17 Oct 2015 4:55 +0000

Does anyone have a list of quantities of the amount of oil required for a full drain and change out of each diff, gearbox and transfer?
czechdave

Postby jakelux on Sat, 17 Oct 2015 5:28 +0000

Yeah its written in the manual.
You got diesel manual?
jakelux

Postby rory18 on Sat, 17 Oct 2015 9:13 +0000

http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/castr_au/

I use this when I am not near my car.
rory18
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fourby4diesel on Sat, 17 Oct 2015 4:12 +0000

You might want to have a new plug handy. For the front diff, drain plug.

Pre butchered by a Toyo dealer, see they didn't put the tool in more than half way.
New DENSO Injectors are the go! New genuine parts.
Cheers, Anth - Technician - 1KD-FTV

Check your injectors about every 10,000k.
WARNING check oil pickup screen is clear
no chips no tune ups - why increase risk of piston cracking?
fourby4diesel

Postby czechdave on Sun, 18 Oct 2015 4:58 +0000

Mines a thirsty petrol manual :lol:

Cheers for the link Rory! It really helped out.

The new plugs might be a good idea as I think last time I was doing something under the truck I did notice the gearbox plug looked a bit average. What are those suckers worth?
czechdave

Postby martynvella on Sun, 18 Oct 2015 5:49 +0000

Such a shallow thingy (whatever the hole where the key goes is called), almost like they were designed to give trouble. dealers should have done the diff oils in the last service but who knows. Next time I got it out might be welding a bolt to it with a hex head.

Thanks for the heads up roo.
martynvella

Postby rob101 on Mon, 28 Mar 2016 10:06 +0000

For my 1grfe engine i'm now using penrite HPR 10, 10w-50 fully synthetic.
Just started changing it myself, time will tell if its a bad selection. Instinct was to go with Castrol GTX (10w-30) and change after 6-mths, but i wanted a full synth that was more viscous than 5w for melbourne/victoria.
rob101

Postby bloke&tackle on Mon, 28 Mar 2016 11:09 +0000

As far as engine oil goes, I strongly advise anybody to look at the oil company recommendations for your engine.
Don't just assume that anything with "diesel" written on it is going to be suitable for a D4D just because the grade is right.
For example Castrol recommend several oils suitable for the D4D, one of them is "RX Super", but they also make an "RX Super Diesel" which is not suitable.
Some of their other diesel engine oils are also not suitable for the D4D either for several reasons. Engines with diesel particulate filters generally need a different oil also.

All of the oil companies will have a product guide on their websites.
Regards Chris.

I started life with nothing, and I've still got most of it left
bloke&tackle

Postby Richard on Thu, 31 Mar 2016 1:10 +0000

If still under warranty I'd use nothing other that Toyota oil, no room for them to blame another brand of oil if something goes wrong.
Richard

Postby fracturedranga on Thu, 31 Mar 2016 2:19 +0000

i just serviced mine as it ran out of capped price servicing, i used penrite HPR10W-50 fully synthetic, ive used penrite oils in everything ive owned for years
fracturedranga

Postby wombat81 on Sun, 07 Aug 2016 9:07 +0000

I use Caltex Delo Gold Ultra. Basically because that's what I use in the 80 series and it's also compatible with the Hilux.

I originally used Castrol RX Super in the 80 series (1HZ engine) when I first got it, but after much reading and discussion on LCOOL, it was decided that RX Super is more suited to American diesel engines and Japanese diesels needed a slightly different spec oil. Some members did a whole heap of in depth oil analysis etc. At the time (probably 6 years ago now) Castrol made an oil called J-Spec (from memory) which a lot of LCOOLers began using instead of RX Super. But basically diesel oils with the correct viscosity that were also "JASO DH-1" compliant were regarded as the best way to go. RX Super is/was not JASO compliant, J-Spec was. Castrol J-Spec was quite expensive so I began using Mobil Delvac, which was also a recommended oil for the 1HZ, was also JASO compliant, and was significantly cheaper than the Castrol. Over time Delvac also became quite expensive so I switched to Caltex oil. Delo Gold Ultra and Delo 400 Multigrade are both suitable. I get Gold ultra for just under $100 for 20L from my local Caltex distributor. The 1HZ takes 10L per oil change, so it adds up quickly. I also regard Caltex oil as very good quality. As far as I know Castrol don't make J-Spec any more, but they offer other oils with JASO compliance.

I have no idea whether JASO compliance is a relevant issue for the 1KD engine. But it makes sense that oil recommended for Japanese designed diesel engines would be a better match compared to oil made for American diesels. Obviously the 1HZ engine is a completely different beast to the 1KD, so the vast changes in technology between the two engines might mean that JASO isn't an issue these days. I'm sure others will know more about this topic than me.
Current: 2021 SR Dual Cab Chassis 4x4 2.8TD Manual
Retired: 2010 SR Dual Cab Chassis 4x4 3.0TD Manual
My current (2021 model) build thread
My previous (2010 model) build thread
wombat81

Postby AdamHC on Thu, 11 Aug 2016 11:18 +0000

wombat81 wrote:I use Caltex Delo Gold Ultra. Basically because that's what I use in the 80 series and it's also compatible with the Hilux.

I originally used Castrol RX Super in the 80 series (1HZ engine) when I first got it, but after much reading and discussion on LCOOL, it was decided that RX Super is more suited to American diesel engines and Japanese diesels needed a slightly different spec oil. Some members did a whole heap of in depth oil analysis etc. At the time (probably 6 years ago now) Castrol made an oil called J-Spec (from memory) which a lot of LCOOLers began using instead of RX Super. But basically diesel oils with the correct viscosity that were also "JASO DH-1" compliant were regarded as the best way to go. RX Super is/was not JASO compliant, J-Spec was. Castrol J-Spec was quite expensive so I began using Mobil Delvac, which was also a recommended oil for the 1HZ, was also JASO compliant, and was significantly cheaper than the Castrol. Over time Delvac also became quite expensive so I switched to Caltex oil. Delo Gold Ultra and Delo 400 Multigrade are both suitable. I get Gold ultra for just under $100 for 20L from my local Caltex distributor. The 1HZ takes 10L per oil change, so it adds up quickly. I also regard Caltex oil as very good quality. As far as I know Castrol don't make J-Spec any more, but they offer other oils with JASO compliance.

I have no idea whether JASO compliance is a relevant issue for the 1KD engine. But it makes sense that oil recommended for Japanese designed diesel engines would be a better match compared to oil made for American diesels. Obviously the 1HZ engine is a completely different beast to the 1KD, so the vast changes in technology between the two engines might mean that JASO isn't an issue these days. I'm sure others will know more about this topic than me.

I was under the impression that genuine Toyota oil is just rebadged Castrol oil, not sure which one though, magnatec maybe?
AdamHC

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 11 Aug 2016 11:47 +0000

As far as I know the dealer's get their oil from the cheapest supplier, for example Bega Toyota use Valvoline engine armour 10w40 in petrol cars Andi don't know what they use in diesels.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby taresk on Thu, 11 Aug 2016 5:21 +0000

I use Royal Purple full synthetic in mine, 10w40, and it takes a while before it changes colour so it's easy to check that the oil I provided the mechanic with was used.

I've used it in my last 2 fourbies, it's expensive, but I don't like to cut costs with oil.
taresk

Postby dinomike20 on Thu, 27 Oct 2016 7:29 +0000

Just noticed that eBay have a coupon code at the moment for 15% off car parts/oil from certain retailers, including sparesbox who sell Castrol and Nulon oils - their normal price is pretty much same as Supercheap etc, so with the 15% off not bad, plus free shipping. Coupon code is CPART15 and it finishes on the 30th Oct.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/sparesbox-auto/

(I have no connection to sparesbox, just like a discount!)
dinomike20

PreviousNext

Return to Servicing