What oils do you use for your Lux???

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Postby apostoly on Wed, 11 May 2011 5:54 +0000

Hey fellas,

What oils does everyone use when your car is up for a service?

Ive got another 1000k's until i need to service mine again but just want to get everyone's thought on different type of oils. My Gearbox just seems to be getting louder and louder and am really hoping its thirsty for an oil change. I know my thrust bearing is on the way out to so have to sort it out.

Anyway so back to what oils:

Engine -
Diff -
Gearbox/Tranny -
2nd Gear Low & GO GO GO

My Build Page - http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=9074

Pauly ;)
apostoly

Re: What oils do you use for your Lux???

Postby KTM525EXC on Wed, 11 May 2011 10:05 +0000

I use caltex delo 400 for the engine
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby helmut79 on Wed, 11 May 2011 11:53 +0000

Castrol RX super for the engine
Mick
FCCW

“This is anger management......I’m channelling it into something and then I destroy it!”

My Build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6869

New Member Sandpit viewforum.php?f=83
helmut79

Postby paw55h on Wed, 11 May 2011 12:31 +0000

Extra virgin
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in the fruit salad
http://newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=8669
paw55h

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 11 May 2011 12:34 +0000

apostoly wrote:Anyway so back to what oils:

Engine -
Diff -
Gearbox/Tranny -

Toyota Genuine Oils -

Engine - (D4D) Diesel Engine Oil 15W-40 CH-4 0888382306
(1GR & 2TR) Petrol Engine Oil VVT 10W-30SJ 0888081704

Rear Diff - (LSD) 85W-90 GL5 0888580927
Front Diff - Differential Gear Oil 85W-90 GL4 0888580924

M/T Tranny - Manual Transmission Oil 80W-90 GL4
A/T Tranny - Atuo Trans Fluid Type WS - 0888602305
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby rosco01 on Wed, 11 May 2011 12:39 +0000

I don't what oils are preferred for man trans or diffs/transfer case.... at present these are at the mercy of the sevice department......

I have a D4-D engine.

Engine oil - my dealer has now changed brands of oil three times.... Castrol - to Mobil and back to Castrol - the latest being synthetic...... ( I ask at each service "in case I need to top up whilst away on tour").

At Port Augusta last year during our first big trip away with van - I wanted the Toyota dealer to do an "interim" service (5,000 km) but they couldn't fit me in...... I could purchase the oil and filter from them but they weren't sure which oil wa currently used in the workshop ( seemed they used whatever was in the "drum" at the time) I did purchase an oil filter and was then directed to an oil supplier....

This supplier spent some considerable time scouring the manufacturer and company literature.....
It was decided that Castrol RX 15W40 super was the most appropriate for my application.... and I performed the filter and oil change myself......

At Alice Springs, the next scheduled service came up and all I could get out of the dealer was "Toyota specified oil will be used"..... even the sticker on the windshield stated "Toyota Genuine Oil"........ I didn't get opportunity to see what "drum" it came from......

Since returning, I spent some considerable time gathering information and have concluded (rightly or wrongly) that my chosen RX super is probably the most appropriate for my application.

Yesterday I visited a Toyota dealer (not my own) and purchased an oil filter (9015YZZD2) for $22.75 inc GST.
I asked them for opinion on RX super 15W40 - "very good choice of oil for this engine"...... 'nuff said for me..

I don't know what Toyota Genuine Oil containers are filled with - but me thinks Toyota don't refine it.......

frats,
Rosco
rosco01

Postby steveb on Wed, 11 May 2011 5:19 +0000

For me:-

Engine - Nulon 5w-30 Diesel Full Synthetic. My trucks done over 100k so the synthetic won't hurt it. (Used Nulon synthetic in my last Ford V8 ute for about 200k. Always seemed to be pretty good.

Gearbox/Transfer Case - Nulon 75W-90 Smooth Shift Semi Synthetic. This oil made my gearbox shift alot better especially when cold. The viscosity is the one from the owners manual.

Diff - Haven't done an oil change yet
steveb

Postby Aaronlee on Wed, 11 May 2011 6:23 +0000

KTM525EXC wrote:I use caltex delo 400 for the engine

I used delo but found it turned bad to quick and changed to caltex magnatec diesel and found it was alot cleaner when it came time to change it
Cheers

Aaron
Aaronlee

Postby KTM525EXC on Wed, 11 May 2011 6:28 +0000

Aaronlee wrote:
KTM525EXC wrote:I use caltex delo 400 for the engine

I used delo but found it turned bad to quick and changed to caltex magnatec diesel and found it was alot cleaner when it came time to change it

I found the opposite, just remember also delo 400 is a multi grade where as magnatec is fully synthetic
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby amitch888 on Wed, 11 May 2011 6:43 +0000

More info here about engine oils

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2783
FCCW
Mitch's Build

Education is what you get when you read the fine print, experience is what you get when you don't.
amitch888

Postby apostoly on Wed, 11 May 2011 7:07 +0000

Thanks for that mitch

Had a quick read through it, as i expected so many different opinions, in the end its all about trial and error for each of our cars i guess.

Im set on using Nulon 75W-90 Smooth Shift Semi Synthetic for my gearbox just need to work out the engine.

Ive noticed the debate of synthetic vs non synthetic.
As max pointed out in the other thread twice

"Sythetic is great for petrol engines but it is "too clean" for diesel engines.....it leaves the bores and everything else too clean."
2nd Gear Low & GO GO GO

My Build Page - http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=9074

Pauly ;)
apostoly

Postby jap on Wed, 11 May 2011 7:40 +0000

Engine: Penrite HPR 5 (10W-40) Semi-synthetic
Trans: Toyota WS fluid
Diff: Hope theres still some in there
The Quickest TRD Hilux in Australia - 13.690 @ 100.56mph
True Bolt-On Power, Performance & Reliability

Traded for:

BT50 D/C 3.2l Auto - TJM Deluxe Bullbar - TJM Rear Step - TJM Canopy - Airtec Snorkel
jap

Postby rosco01 on Thu, 12 May 2011 11:49 +0000

Ok,
a little further reseach today has brought me more light on this subject
As mentioned, I choose to do an interim oil/filter change at 5k whilst towing the caravan.
And leave the 10K services to the authorised manufacturer dealers.

I have used Castrol RX super for this interim change on previous occasions.

With an anticipated 30 - 35 K trip very quickly approaching I recently purchased 20L of RX Super plus from my local automotive outlet for a very acceptable price.... and engine oil filters from Toyota.

Today, I again telephoned Castrol technical for re-inforcement of previous discussions/correspondence concerning RX Super and was comforted to learn that Castrol list this oil as "certainly fine" for use in Hilux diesel engines 2005-2011....

My concerns were drawn to a single line on the 20L drum which was not mentioned on the 5L containers.

"not suitable for engines with diesel particulate filter"

The technician I spoke with re-assured me that this product is suitable for Toyota diesel engines, but Nissan and Mitsubishi diesel particulate filters require a low ash engine oil.

He further explained that the particulate filter is located on the exhaust pipe "looking similar to that of a petrol engine catalytic converter"....

I then asked where this (RX Super plus) product would be positioned in level of choice for my application and was told that there would be no advantage in using this oil over that of other Castrol products designated for diesel engine use....
further.... that this oil was developed for the larger engines eg. Caterpillar, Cummins etc and was a heavy duty oil for the demands of these engines....
But as it is rated at 15W40 CL-4 - that it is "low ash" - and is classified as suitable and most certainly appropriate for the 3.0 litre Toyota diesel engine 2005-2011.

Again, the tech repeated - in its application for a diesel Hilux engine, there would be no advantage in using it as opposed in preference to one of the other Castrol diesel oils developed for passenger/light vehicle applications.

He further went on to state that the RX Super "plus" 15W40, which I have - is older stock of the current RX Super 15W40 labeling and the price I obtained it for was most likely to deplete existing stock...... (Bursons).
I note on the factory stamping on top of the drum that "someone" recorded this as inspected on 06/04/2011.... just how "old" does stocks of oil need to reach before it passes out of the Castrol factory.....?

frats,
Rosco
rosco01

Postby jdnkimsr5dc on Thu, 12 May 2011 4:49 +0000

Thanks for posting lad it's good to hear just what the techs are saying lately, Mate I used to work as a castrol agent and run magnatec diesel in mine.. RX Super is a really great product but is often used in engines that don't require such a high class of oil... What the tech told you is exactly what our rep has told plenty of people in the past...

Cheers.
If it's worth doing... It's worth overdoing..
jdnkimsr5dc

Postby greysrigging on Thu, 12 May 2011 6:51 +0000

When I do my own oil /filter changes ( every 5000 between the dealer services until the warranty runs out ) I always purchase from Toyota AND keep the receipts. Dont give 'em excuse later on to knock back a claim......
greysrigging

Postby Wing on Sat, 14 May 2011 8:23 +0000

jdnkimsr5dc wrote:Thanks for posting lad it's good to hear just what the techs are saying lately, Mate I used to work as a castrol agent and run magnatec diesel in mine.. RX Super is a really great product but is often used in engines that don't require such a high class of oil... What the tech told you is exactly what our rep has told plenty of people in the past...

Cheers.

What is the ranking for castrol oil: Would it be Magnatec Diesel > GTX Diesel > RX Super?
Wing

Postby jdnkimsr5dc on Sun, 15 May 2011 6:46 +0000

What is the ranking for castrol oil: Would it be Magnatec Diesel > GTX Diesel > RX Super?

Yes I believe that to be true going by the 'C' ratings and by the engineers recommendations as per the other thread, linked above by amitch888.

Magnatec, API SM/CF, ACEA A3/B3.

API stands for American Petroleum Institute. In this case, API sets the industry standards for passenger and commercial vehicles. These standards are recognized, and in many cases, developed in conjunction with car and lubricant manufacturers, including ExxonMobil. The letters next to API, such as SM, refer to the quality level of the motor oil. In the case of SM, it’s the highest available standard for passenger vehicle. CF is a diesel engine or commercial vehicle standard and the highest current one is CJ-4. More information is available at the API website: http://www.api.org. (from Mobil website)

http://www.lubrizol.com/EuropeanEngineOils/A3B308.html (European std ACEA)

GTX Diesel API CH-4/SJ (the SJ means it can go in petrol engines as well)

RX Super API CI-4 (as per website but it looks higher CJ or CL as per rosco's thread above.)

Just something to think about is if an oil is clean then where is the soot going that is caused by combustion? Although they run really clean. Because of the emissions standards of late, the oil is supposed to hold the soot (and lubricate at the same std) to make the exhaust gases cleaner. I don't think it's a bad thing for it to go black but if it breaks down then that's obviously no good. I am personally in the process of seeing how far I can push the magnatec through oil sampling. I will take a sample and have castrol analyse it at 5k and if they say it's still good I'll go out to 6k next time and so on... That's a good way to get your moneys worth out of your oil. Then again if it isn't holding up I'll change over to something else. Well that's far as my intelligence goes on the subject, hope the links help. -Jd
If it's worth doing... It's worth overdoing..
jdnkimsr5dc

Postby MADDOG on Tue, 04 Oct 2011 5:59 +0000

Just jumping on the end of this thread..........

I need to change my manual gearbox oil on my D4D. Does anyone know what size the drain plug is on the gearbox? I have a feeling it is 23mm or similar in imperial. I've just had a frustrating time not being able to find a spanner or socket bigger than 22mm at home. :x There is not enough room to fit a shifter in there.

Thanks in advance. :)
MADDOG

Postby Putsy on Tue, 04 Oct 2011 6:36 +0000

MADDOG wrote:Just jumping on the end of this thread..........

I need to change my manual gearbox oil on my D4D. Does anyone know what size the drain plug is on the gearbox? I have a feeling it is 23mm or similar in imperial. I've just had a frustrating time not being able to find a spanner or socket bigger than 22mm at home. :x There is not enough room to fit a shifter in there.

Thanks in advance. :)

It should be a 24 but the imperial size of this seams to fit better. Sidchrome do a 22/24 long handled ring spanner very handy.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6631&p=95887&hilit=Putsy#p95887 My Build... A little small but its not always the size that matters ;)

putsy@newhilux.net
Putsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby danmcccc on Tue, 04 Oct 2011 7:22 +0000

24mm or 15/16ths...

as for what oil i use
engine : RX SUPER coz its free for me
diff : 85-140 (castrol) also coz its free and its what ARB recomend to use with their lockers
Trans : anything with dexron IV class....havent had to do it but ill probs get toyota oil...bit exspensive to be mucking around with for the sake of a few bucks in oil
old enough to know better...young enough to not give a f**k

MY KILLER BUILD THREAD
viewtopic.php?t=9235
danmcccc

Next

Return to Servicing