D4D Valve Clearances

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

D4D Valve Clearances

Postby oldrev on Fri, 04 May 2007 4:12 +0000

i'm wondering how many fellow D4D owners have had ther'e 40k service and actually asked the service guys what the valve clearances were.
as i understand it they are 0.2-0.3 in and 0.35-0.45 ex in mm cold .
considering most people drive in and pic up later the engine could not be cold?.
with high lift cams and such a few thou here and there could affect performance ?
maybe i'm barkin up the wrong tree.
toyota service the replacement valve lifters @ about 29 dollars a piece ,
ya wouldn't want the whole 16 to be out
cheers
ken
oldrev

Re: D4D Valve Clearances

Postby LANK on Sat, 05 Jun 2010 5:19 +0000

Iam about to check mine, not sure what to expect it has done 88,000 km without a check, i wonder how accurate the Toyota dealers are with this check. Re (when the engine is warm components expand) they should always be done cold. i will keep you up dated with my findings.
LANK

Postby KTM525EXC on Sat, 05 Jun 2010 9:58 +0000

i had to leave my car at the dealer over night so they could check them when the engine is cold. you should never check them when the engine is warm.
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby Viper82 on Sat, 05 Jun 2010 6:15 +0000

Well I just had my 40k service done on wednesday and when I started my car up and drove off I was like WTF!!!
Its sounded like a tractor, the tappets or what ever they are were so noisy I was about to drive straight back. I let it go and after 20km of driving it went away. Like some people have complained of a noisy motor that sure was when I first started it but did go away lucky.
Viper82

Postby McLUX on Mon, 09 Aug 2010 10:33 +0000

I just had my 40k service done at Cessnock Toyota on Friday and let me say what a disappointment. First thing I checked was the tappet cover bolts when I got it back and they had not been removed. then i checked that the brake fluid had been changed and not one of the bleed nipples had been touched and the reservoir cap still had dust on it and no evidence of being removed. I then checked the A/C filter and they did not even bother cleaning that.
When i went and got the service manager and showed him what had been done it was as though he could not give a shit. I have got it booked in with them to redo it all next Friday so hopefully It will be done right this time. :x :x :x
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters.
McLUX

Postby Shaker on Mon, 09 Aug 2010 11:23 +0000

McLUX wrote:I just had my 40k service done at Cessnock Toyota on Friday and let me say what a disappointment. First thing I checked was the tappet cover bolts when I got it back and they had not been removed. then i checked that the brake fluid had been changed and not one of the bleed nipples had been touched and the reservoir cap still had dust on it and no evidence of being removed. I then checked the A/C filter and they did not even bother cleaning that.
When i went and got the service manager and showed him what had been done it was as though he could not give a shit. I have got it booked in with them to redo it all next Friday so hopefully It will be done right this time. :x :x :x

Wow that is so lame! It pays to find a reputable dealer and be loyal to them so they have that loyalty on record and look after you. All my service will be done 240km away because I don't like the local country dealer after talking to poor salesmanship, seeing bolts missing off a fuel neck on a ute, brakes heavily rusted in their yard on a Prius and stock thats sits in the sun for months on end because it does not move, covered in country dust, then scratched when washed.

It pays be diligent about services and stress to the manager that you want everything done properly and by the book. I would send a customer complaint to Toyota head office if your vehicle has not been cared for as stated in the service and warranty contract. They will charge you for fluids, filters and so on and if you see these charges for parts without changing them, then the dealers has big issues that need to be addressed. If we all tolerate poor service, they all get away with it.

Shaker.
Shaker

Return to Servicing