Coolant

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Coolant

Postby martynvella on Sat, 07 Aug 2021 2:20 +0000

Is it normal for the D4D to use a little coolant?

I have noticed the coolant was on the low mark when cold this morning.
I replaced the water pump and coolant at the 150k servive with genuine pink coolant and it did take a few days to stabilize which I assume isnt that uncommon but I did keep topping it up to the full mark when it was cold and did make a point of checking it each service after that for a few services. I do check it every service i do but probably after i have ran it to check all the oil levels so it was in the ballpark.

It have recently done the 250k service so it has been 100k and used about 600ml.

I have carefully topped it up to the full mark which I will monitor, just hoping it hasnt started using it recently.

There is no sign anywhere of a leak even using a torch and mirror.
Hoping it is normal to lose a little over 100k.
martynvella

Re: Coolant

Postby Rob_Wood on Sat, 07 Aug 2021 11:34 +0000

Not sure what it's been like in Queensland, but it's been a coollish winter here and I'd imagine a small amount of fluid might escape during the "cool-down" process as condensation ... BUT 600ml would be quite a fair amount to lose of just one winter AND it's gotta find a way out. If the lid wasn't clipped down properly on the coolant reservoir, that is an escape route. The loose lid might also be susceptible to "splash out" while driving, this could foresee-ably cost you around 600ml over one winter period.
***Thinking***
The other thing I've seen before is a pin-hole leak that only allows coolant to escape while the engine is at running temperature. The one I saw was in the radiator, but I've heard of these happening in cast components as well.
Rob_Wood

Postby martynvella on Sun, 08 Aug 2021 5:40 +0000

Just hoping it is normal usage, but never needed to add coolant before, but it did get dealer serviced up to 80k.
martynvella

Postby Gipsy on Sun, 08 Aug 2021 6:40 +0000

I wouldn't worry too much, just keep an eye on it. If you had a leak there would be residual pink traces somewhere. More likely you had an air bubble trapped after you refilled it, most likely in the heater and it's making its way out as you drive, especially if you're using the heater at all. Surprise to see how low the coolant gets in winter but it comes up to full level as soon as it's driven.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Return to Servicing