Couple of points

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Couple of points

Postby martynvella on Sun, 24 May 2020 10:27 +0000

They have finally started selling engine in 7 litre packs. Seeing these engines take 6.9 by the book i tipped the whole bottle in.
When i dipped it before starting to fill the filter it was on the full mark, after starting and shutting down it was 3/4the way down to the low mark, thats when i used to add oil till it was at the full mark so probably 7.75ish litres.
So as it happens I have been over filling for the last 160k but seems ok.
So I figure while running round town I will just leave it as is and when towing the camper top iit up with the extra 3/4 litre.

Now the other point, question really.
While doing the brake fluid change i never completely empty the front or rear resivoir, just get it very close to empty so no air gets in then top it up to max and run it down to almost empty half right and half left both for front and rear.
Question is seeing the new fluid is the same colour is this enough to completely flush the old stuff out, takes about 1 litre to do this leaving the resivoir full?
martynvella

Re: Couple of points

Postby dave g on Sun, 24 May 2020 12:25 +0000

Hi Martynvella
I've done it to every car I've had done on harm to any of them.
Same with the brake fluid.
dave g

Postby Gipsy on Sun, 24 May 2020 1:27 +0000

Hi Martyn, I don't think you have been overfilling, as long as the dipstick doesn't show overfilling. More likely you have done the correct procedure of draining the oil hot, waiting until the last drop, changing the filter, running the engine and recheck the dipstick. Its more likely that you have got the last drop of oil out and then filled with 7.0litres which will coat the internal surfaces thus using all what you put in. I always wait a couple of minutes to check the dipstick and then recheck it next morning just to be sure. It does take a while for all the oil to go back to the sump so wait a bit and it will be more accurate. Don't forget, oil does expand as it gets hot so just slightly underfill when cold is ok.
Yes replacing the brake fluid is as you do, just begin with the furthest bleeder and work towards the reservoir, with each bleeder running clear until you move to the next one.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby CamboT on Sun, 24 May 2020 2:01 +0000

All depends on how long you drain it for.
I left mine to drain out over night, and on refill it took nearly 9L with filter.
At work we don't have time to leve it for long so 10-15 mins = max drain time. I just chuck 7L in, and with a new filter its normally bang on.

We vacuum bled the brakes. Suck out all you can see in the reservoir, refill, then vacuum bleed from each nipple topping up after each wheel done. 500-750ml is usually all it needs. Anymore and you're flushing more than needed, but its not a problem really. Better to bleed it out properly so no air gets in the system eh
Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh
CamboT

Postby martynvella on Sun, 24 May 2020 2:04 +0000

I change the oil when it is cold. If i try to do it too soon after running the filter spills all over the starter, if it sits get no spill, even tried hammering a screwdriver through the top of the filter to let it drain....didnt work, so just let it sit over night.

As for bleeding the furtherest first, both back brakes are the same distance almost plumbing wise, both lines run from the stability control pump thing to the proportional valve at the back, if anything the RHR is the furtherest, but not an issue if you dont let air in. Was just wondering what the capacity of the system was as there is no noticable colour difference.
The capacity of the rear brakes should always be the same but id reckon the front would increase a fair bit with pad wear.
martynvella

Postby Gipsy on Sun, 24 May 2020 2:42 +0000

Draining cold doesn't really get it all out, Cambo's procedure is ideal, drain hot, leave overnight,change filter, top up when hot. Overnight drain usually avoids the filter/oil on starter trick. (Even though the filter technically doesn't drain, but it does!)
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby CamboT on Sun, 24 May 2020 2:45 +0000

As a couple quick tips to stop oil dripping from the filter housing drain....
1) fit a small tube so it drains out by the sump bung, or
2) loosen filter off so the o ring is just touching, and can even poke a hole in the filter if you want. The oil will drain back into the motor
Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh
CamboT

Postby martynvella on Sun, 24 May 2020 3:21 +0000

The prado comes with that hose fitted, i tried to put one on but couldnt get at it, thought id have to remove the starter so will put one on when it needs contacts.
Tried the hole trick but it didnt work.
Thanks for the input everyone.
Stay safe.
martynvella

Postby dave g on Sun, 24 May 2020 3:36 +0000

Yes drain when hot makes oil run easy and fast
dave g

Postby Gipsy on Mon, 25 May 2020 6:51 +0000

I just put a rag under the filter housing and if any comes out its only a little bit so the rag catches it. This rag is used to clean around the housing before fitting the new filter.
Gipsy

Return to Servicing