R&R A/C compressor V6

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

R&R A/C compressor V6

Postby gen7xtracab on Sun, 07 Apr 2019 4:37 +0000

I've searched high and low, not finding an answer. Hopefully someone here can help?

Looking for info on removal and replacement of the Air Conditioning compressor in the 1GR-FE V6 Hilux.

In my case 2WD version. GGN15R

I will be replacing the front bumper, headlights and grille soon, and wondering if I should wait until I get a new Compressor and do it at same time, if it makes any difference at all.

I know I have to get the system discharged, but got a mate that can sort that side.

Everyone says the engine has to come out, but those "everyones" have never even owned a hilux, so ....

Has anyone R&R'd 1 (or many)
Is there a video/PDf/web page around?
Done or seen a write up?

T, IA

Z
gen7xtracab

Re: R&R A/C compressor V6

Postby ackky on Sun, 07 Apr 2019 5:33 +0000

Hi,
my compressor failed on my V6 and has been replaced....actually the clutch failed to stay engaged. So it is possible to remove the compressor without removing the engine on the Dual Cab version.
I would think, simply removing the drive belt, disconnect the battery, remove the alternator...access to the compressor is now available, remove the compressor, swap and reverse...the compressor is a baby compared to the old ones and does not need a lot of space to remove from the vehicle.

I have taken a look on my V6 and do not see any hardships, other than making sure the belt and pulleys are marked accordingly, and getting the bolts undone, which has its moments, as Toyota tends to tighten them up quite nicely....
ackky

Postby gen7xtracab on Sun, 07 Apr 2019 7:30 +0000

ackky wrote:Hi,
my compressor failed on my V6 any....

Thanks, Ackky, I did see your thread about your A/C.
Was hoping you had done the job, and would reply. Cheers for doing so.
Z
gen7xtracab

Postby martynvella on Mon, 08 Apr 2019 4:52 +0000

Of course you are not doing the job yourself are you? Get your mate who has a refrigerant handling lisence to do it or you have just advertised the fact that you intend to break a fedral law.
The regulation is worded that to work on a component that has ever or will ever contain a refrigerant a lisence is required weather refrigerant is present at the time or not.
martynvella

Postby gen7xtracab on Mon, 08 Apr 2019 6:01 +0000

martynvella wrote:Of course you are not doing the job yourself are you? Get your mate who has a refrigerant handling lisence to do it or you have just advertised the fact that you intend to break a fedral law.
The regulation is worded that to work on a component that has ever or will ever contain a refrigerant a lisence is required weather refrigerant is present at the time or not.

Thanks for the feedback, martynvella.
As a result of your response, I contacted Arctick.org which seems to be the mob to see in Victoria, and also dmirs.wa.gov.au.

Still waiting on dmirs, but Arctick state: “A Refrigerant Handling Licence must be held by any person who carries out work in relation to refrigeration and air conditioning (RAC) equipment.

Carrying out work in relation to RAC equipment means to do anything with a fluorocarbon refrigerant, or a component of RAC equipment, that carries the risk of refrigerant being emitted, including: decanting the refrigerant or manufacturing, installing, commissioning, servicing or maintaining RAC equipment or decommissioning RAC equipment.

They go on to say:

If all the refrigerant is removed, the refrigerant lines are disconnected from the compressor and the lines and compressor are then sealed by a person with the appropriate Refrigerant Handling License, a person without an appropriate Refrigerant Handling License could unbolt and remove the current compressor and mount the replacement compressor, as there is no risk of refrigerant being emitted. But, a person with the appropriate Refrigerant Handling License would need to connect the refrigerant lines to the compressor, pressure test, evacuate and re-charge the system with refrigerant.

I expect that dmirs will say about the same thing. This system, whilst not convenient, is acceptable to me, to allow me to conduct the mods and repairs that I intend doing, at my own pace, so, all good.

I do appreciate the advise, and have a great year.

z
gen7xtracab

Postby martynvella on Tue, 09 Apr 2019 4:41 +0000

Good that you checked. Personally i think it is a load of bull seeing that au is one of only a few with such regs and we have the least amount of vehicles. But advertisoing your intentions isnt wise unless you do the research you have done.
martynvella

Postby gen7xtracab on Thu, 04 Jul 2019 6:36 +0000

Follow up: Jacked up and removed LHF wheel (don't forget the axle stands), and the rubber skirt. Rotate tensioner and insert hold back bolt. Remove belt, undo compressor bolts and it "falls" out. A bit of degreaser to clean up the block and areas rarely seen, reinstall and ready for gas in less than an hour, including a couple bottles of suds. Easy as.
gen7xtracab

Return to Servicing