Gearbox oil problem

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Gearbox oil problem

Postby EdgeOutdoors on Thu, 01 Feb 2018 3:34 +0000

Hi guys,

I have a question regarding some oil. I have red a lot on the forum and the internet but still I'm not a 100% sure, therefor my question to make sure i don't mess up.

I have a 2014 2.5L d4d manual Hilux with rear locker. The manual that came with the car says that I should use GL-4 75w90 for the transmission and GL-4 or GL-5 75w90 for the transfercase.
In another manual (other language) I found online for the same car and build it says the same, except that I also could use GL-5 for the transmission.
But I have red so many bad things about GL-5 oil in a manual gearboxes. What I understand is that GL-5 is to aggressive, and it has to much sulfur. Therefor it could damage the seals.

What I bought is Castrol Syntrans Transaxle GL-4+ 75W-90. Castrol says on there website that this oil is perfect for cars where GL-4 oil is recomended. It also has a VW 505.50 certification...?

So is this oil any good for my gearbox and transfercase? I'm not sure what the + in GL-4+ means. Think it's some marketing bs, because it also says that there is EP protection and performance in compared to a normal GL-4.

For the diffs I bought Castrol Castrol Syntrax Longlife GL-5 75W-90...

Thanks a lot!
EdgeOutdoors

Re: Gearbox oil problem

Postby Ben80 on Sat, 03 Feb 2018 5:10 +0000

Depending on the additive package GL-5 can cause damage to brass parts like syncro rings. I would stick to GL-4 for the gearbox.
Ben80

Return to Servicing