Blue smoke on cold/first starts.

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Blue smoke on cold/first starts.

Postby Philux_10 on Sat, 12 Nov 2016 11:04 +0000

Good day, everyone! I own a 2010 2.5 (2KD-FTV) D4-D Manual. The truck has 59,500kms on it and I've been experiencing this problem and noticed it recently. The truck is used almost everyday to and from work (Monday to Thursday). No other probems with it, gets great diesel mileage, pulls well, no leaks whatsoever, does not consume oil, no black smoke, even up to 3500RPM (very rarely go that high, though) and has been religoously maintained with oil changes and new air filters every 5,000KMs (yes, we go that far-probably because of how polluted Manila is). The only real issue I see with it is whenever I start it up in the morning. It starts up fine, no rattling (maybe for about 2 or 3 secs then it's gone, but I have heard that's normal). But there is blue smoke for the first, say, 5 minutes of the journey. It does not appear while idling and it's warmed up for about 3-5 minutes before I actually head out. The everyday commute to/from work is about 25-30 minutes and around halfway or a little after that, when the engine's pretty warmed up, no more blue smoke. None at all, everything's fine. Now, I have heard [and read] that this may be due to the oil being too thin when the engine is cold? The truck uses Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 fully synthetic. This was our first diesel, and I was paranoid about turbo problems and oil coking around the turbo bearings with semi-synthetic/mineral oils, which is why we use fully synthetic. Do know that the car is always properly 'cooled down' appropriately (3-5 minutes after a long, hard highway run and a minute or two after driving it around in the city). It does get blasted out on the highway on weekends to keep the engine clean as well. So, is the oil actually too thin and goes past the rings when the engine's cold? (I live in a tropical climate and the coldest temperature here, in the morning, is about 25 degrees celsius and can go up to the mid-high 30s in the summer. This time of the year, though, it goes up to 31 or so). If I do switch to either 10W-40 or 15W-40 (most likely either Toyota oil from the dealer or Shell Helix), which would be better, considering how the truck's driven? Would that oil grade and semi synthetic or even a good mineral be okay for the turbo? I apologize for all the questions, it's just that the truck runs great aside from that one issue and would like to keep the truck running well for a longer time. :D Thank you for your time, and have a great day! :)
Philux_10

Re: Blue smoke on cold/first starts.

Postby DeadlyBeast on Sun, 13 Nov 2016 9:06 +0000

Plenty of threads on this
You have almost answered your question. The below will confirm what you alluded to in regard to full synth oil
4th post down by a valued member on the first link + many other references from other members:
http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2783
http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9701

http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=26313
DeadlyBeast

Re: Blue smoke on cold/first starts.

Postby Philux_10 on Sun, 13 Nov 2016 12:06 +0000

Thank you for you reply, sir! I apologize if the topic has been up before and answered already, it's my first time seeking insight from fellow Hilux owners. :D Thanks, again! I'll be doing a lot of reading now, specially since the truck's almost due for its next oil change. :)
Philux_10

Return to Servicing