D4D Engine Oil - Whats Good / Ordinary

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

D4D Engine Oil - Whats Good / Ordinary

Postby Torsion on Mon, 24 Nov 2008 8:02 +0000

This is my first Diesel vehicle, is their a range of quality in the Engine oils (like petrol engines - mineral v's semi synthetic v's full synthetic).
Whats considered to be the highest quality on the Aussie market
Torsion

Re: D4D Engine Oil - Whats Good / Ordinary

Postby oldrev on Tue, 25 Nov 2008 3:57 +0000

Torsion wrote:This is my first Diesel vehicle, is their a range of quality in the Engine oils (like petrol engines - mineral v's semi synthetic v's full synthetic).
Whats considered to be the highest quality on the Aussie market

i dont think it will really matter too much which manufacturer/blender of oils you decide to go with.
all the big brands have a recommended oil for our engines as well as substitute oils in there own brands that you can use also.
personally i'd use the best recommended oil in the brand you choose and if ur happy with it stick to it not chopping and changing oils each time .i've had genuine oil which we all have from new , mobil mx, penrite ( 2 types) and i cant say i could notice anything between them.
one thing though which is worth keeping in mind is if ur going to change ur oil more often than the shedueled 10k pick an oil that you can obtain readily instead of having to chase all other the place trying to find someone who sell your oil.
i hope this post is of some help
regards
ken
oldrev

Postby olcoolone on Tue, 25 Nov 2008 9:48 +0000

As Ken said.

Make sure you use an oil from a quality manufacturer like BP, Castrol etc.

********Make sure you use an oil that is designed SPECIFICALLY to suit your engine**********

If you use the wrong oil type you will cause unreversable damage in as little as 1500k to your diesel particle filter costing you about $4000.

Most oils these days are very good and I don't thing the average person would know if it was good or bad, unless they were getting oil samples tested.

Me...I just use what every Toyota puts in them at the dealer.

Don't get to over excited about using a $20 per Lt. oil as apposed to a $10 per Lt. oil......more expensive is not alway better!

Again ********Make sure you use an oil that is designed SPECIFICALLY to suit your engine**********
olcoolone

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 26 Nov 2008 6:12 +0000

Also, for any diesel owners out there.....DO NOT...I repeat....DO NOT use synthetic diesel oil in the hilux's.

We all know that synthetic oil cleans the engine pretty good....perfect for a petrol engine....NOT for a diesel.

They clean too good for the diesel and your bores will not be as lubricated as they should be.

You are best of as mentioned earlier to sue the same oil the dealer uses, genuine Toyota Brand oil and change it every 5,000kays....your engine will last for ever.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Pirate Pete on Thu, 27 Nov 2008 5:11 +0000

Following on from what mmaaxx said, my local dealer informed me that they use Caltex oil, just rebadged as Toyota. But of the 2 different reps I asked at the same dealer one said to use 20W-40 and the other was adimant that they use 15W-40.

Pete
Pirate Pete

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 27 Nov 2008 6:11 +0000

The Genuine Toyota Diesel oil is 15W-40 CH-4
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby mogofo on Mon, 15 Dec 2008 2:18 +0000

hi guys,
i have done some research on this and my findings are that a good quality mineral oil changed frequently (say every 5000kms) will do the job admirably.
I've been using 15W40 Magnatech Diesel (which is a mineral oil) and it has been fine.
A mate of mine who has his own workshop (unfortunately in a different state) services a lot of harshly-driven Hilux diesels and he highly recommends the Magnatec Diesel.
He also recommends the 10W40 Magnatec which is a semi synthetic or the 5W40 which is fully synthetic.
I spoke at length to Castrol technical department and the guy was very helpful. He claims that Magnatec diesel is fine and to change it every 10,000kms ok but every 5000kms is better. He also has a vested interest in more frequent oil changes but I think it's the engineer in him that stated that even an average mineral oil (provided it meets all specs) changed every 5000kms is better than a top shelf synthetic (for example) changed every 20000.
I had been changing my oil and filter every 5000kms (now done 35000kms) and will commence using the 5W40 fully synthetic and change it every 10000kms.
My mate hasd been using this in his Prado for 50000 kms now and swears by it.
When I spoke to Castrol he endorsed the fully synthetic as being more than suitable for my needs (he actually impied I didn't need to go fully synthetic). He mentioned nothing about fully synthetic not being suitable for diesels (but you should read the spec sheets on the oil manufacturers' website if you have a diesel fitted with a particulate filter such as the latest BMW etc).
I don't understand how an oil can clean "too much" unless we're talking about an old engine where it would strip carbon deposits.
The idea is to keep your engine like brand new inside by coating it with the best possible lubricant (synthetic).
Here endeth my humble opinion.
cheers Mogofo
mogofo

Postby hodgo81 on Wed, 17 Dec 2008 12:40 +0000

I'm only new hear. And my brand new hilux is getting prepped for me now.

But this topic definitly is of interest to me. I have read many discussions on oil selection for my dirtbikes, and the stuff mogofo has said is a complete contradition to everything for a dirtbike. (BTW I'm not meaning to start an argument here with mogofo)

Do people aggree with the sentiment above? particularly about using such thin oils? is a diesel engine designed so thin oils are more suitable?

I'd never consider running anything lighter than 15w oil in any vehicle for where i have lived (100km either side of nsw/qld border)
I say this because with petrol engines i know the biggest oil problems ayou have are blow by, which diluts and thins the oil more.
Unless you are in a very cold climate i wouldn't take the advice of mogofo without further research.

Personally i think Penrite make the best value/quality mineral/semi synth oils. and will probably be looking at using that.
hodgo81

Postby fogomo on Wed, 17 Dec 2008 2:31 +0000

Hi hodgo81, I understand that you are not meaning to start an argument. It's an important subject and one that needs exploring.
After a lengthy converstaion with the castrol engineer he claims that to use a lower viscosity (first number only) oil than recommended is ok. All this means is that when the engine is first started when cold, the oil is 'thinner' therefore circulates much quicker and easier than a higher viscosity oil when cold thus providing better protection for your engine. 'Thinner' does not mean that the protective properties are less. He also stated to NOT go higher than the recommended second number rating, i.e. the '40' in this case, as the thicker the oil is, the harder the engine has to work to deal with it.
It makes sense to me. The guy's an engineer (not a salesman or mechanic with all due respects to those professions) and fully understands the interaction of an oil with an engine.
He was speaking quite generically too re petrol and diesel engine oils, not just in regards to Castrol.
He also recommended that one should use a fully synthetic ONLY after the engine has run or bedded in and this can take from 5000kms and up.I'd say that up your way you would certainly get away with a 15W rating but as I travel to cold places like the Vic High Country (that's why i have a modified 4WD), the lower rating will work better for me without any detrimental effects. Moving to say a 30 rating (second number) in a very hot and/or harsh climate could do some damage though.
So, it gets back to personal taste and past experience but we need to be aware that the technology of oils has advanced considerably in the past several years. Because I was not up to speed with the technology, i spoke and listened to qualified people not bigoted people that will always use such and such an oil because they've always used it or because dad did.
I don't need people to agree with me but suggest that they make their own enquiries by first of all visiting various companies' web sites and determining the best oil for them (as I did on the castrol site). Then when it becomes completely bloody confusing, take the time to call the oil company's technical department and talk about their specific needs.
Hope that helps.
Cheers
mogofo
fogomo

Postby hodgo81 on Thu, 18 Dec 2008 11:30 +0000

Thanks.

Very well answered. And i think something we both agree on is getting the oil right for where you drive.
hodgo81

Postby jackolux on Mon, 22 Dec 2008 8:58 +0000

Why not just go with what ever the dealer, uses when ya get it serviced

If ya buy a new vehicle it will be the right oil ,

I have always done that and when I take over the services myself after warranty or if I'm going on a extended trip and need to change it , I just ask what they use and stick with it , never been a problem
jackolux

Postby SR5LUX on Tue, 23 Dec 2008 6:10 +0000

I just use genuine engine oil, i do all and filter every 5000km and it only costs $38.75 :D
TYRES ARE LIKE TITS THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH THEM THE BIGGER YOU WANT
SR5LUX

Postby olcoolone on Tue, 23 Dec 2008 1:40 +0000

If I did an oil change and filters at 2500 kilometers would that be better the 5000 kilometers.

Would my engine last longer?
olcoolone

Postby oldrev on Tue, 23 Dec 2008 4:09 +0000

olcoolone wrote:If I did an oil change and filters at 2500 kilometers would that be better the 5000 kilometers.

Would my engine last longer?

you know you might be onto something big here!!!!!!
you might well be right with a laymen's guess like that.
it's all numbers isn't it really some like big numbers some like little numbers bless there mortal souls .
with the ever increasingnumber of guys who like to get involved in there own vehicle who knows where this could lead.
with an ever increasing amount of sarcasm creeping into a couple of threads on here i thought i'd add my own
oldrev

Postby olcoolone on Tue, 23 Dec 2008 4:26 +0000

Who me being sarcastic?

I'm just a simple guy asking a simple question.

Next week we will discuss Quantum mechanics and how life began.
olcoolone

Postby Shrek on Wed, 24 Dec 2008 1:03 +0000

Funny enough, i had a xmas dinner with a few family friends and neighbours last night. And I asked my neighbour (local Toyota mechanic) if an oil change between 10,000km services was necessary or even "just a good idea". Now he takes my D4D ute away every 10,000km to do the service for me (so i don't have to take it into town) and he also has a Prado D4D of his own.

You know what he said to me? NO, an additional oil change every 5,000km would only be necessary if you were doing a majority of offroad work or if the engine was always laboring under heavy load, i.e towing. What seals the deal for me is that he has over 100k on his prado and he doesn't do an extra oil change. Quite simply, if he's not doing the extra oil change (which would take 3 minutes on a hoist at lunch time) then I think I'll be fine.
pǝɹoq ʎɐʍ ǝq ʇsnɯ noʎ 'sıɥʇ ƃuıpɐǝɹ ǝɹ,noʎ ɟı
Shrek

Postby olcoolone on Wed, 24 Dec 2008 4:24 +0000

Shrek how true, most people forget how clean the new common rail diesels run.

Sure change every 5000 kilometers in the old dinosaur diesels as they needed it, look at the stuff coming out of Europe with service intervals of between 20 to 40000 kilometers.

Take Mitsubishi Pajero's and Triton's, they have a 10000 Kilometer service interval and they offer a 10 year 160000 Kilometer engine and drive train warranty.

People just have to learn a new way of thinking.
olcoolone

Postby D4D for ME on Tue, 24 Feb 2009 6:13 +0000

Guys I couldn't agree more with the last statement. As a diesel mechanic I've noticed that modern common rail diesels are phenomonly cleaner and won't soot the oil any where near as much as an older diesel. I personally believe 10,000km oil changes are fine under most circumstances. As far as oils are concerned, my local toyota dealer has told methat all dealers will establish a supply contract with a particular distributor, if they choose caltex you get caltex oil in your car, if they choose bp, bp goes in and so on. Personally I do all my services myself and my ute hasn't had a dealer service since 5000km. I use CAT 15/40 diesel engine oil as I get a realy good price on 20lt drums through work and genuine filters. Seems good so far
D4D for ME

Postby Goldminer on Thu, 18 Feb 2010 2:50 +0000

The dealer in Kalgoorlie put valvoline in my ute and now the dealer I am going to in Perth uses castrol, so your prolly right D4D. I get the dealer to do my interval servicing every 10000k's and I change my oil every 5000. I just reckon its cheap insurance, as long as it meets the specs and you change it every 5 then so worries. If your oil makes your fingers really black from cleaning the dipstick then I reckon its time to change. Maybe its just me but after around 6000k's the ute starts to get a bit noisier in the valve gear and shuts up when I change the oil. I think thats a pretty good indicator. Old or new diesel, the stuff still soots up.
Cheers
Miner
Goldminer

Postby The Captain on Wed, 02 Jun 2010 5:41 +0000

Mobile Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 fully synthetic is without doubt the best oil on the market. Make sure that your engine has at least 15000 - 20000 on it before you make the change.
The Captain

Next

Return to Servicing