Power steering fluid

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Power steering fluid

Postby AdamHC on Tue, 07 Jul 2015 6:17 +0000

Noticed a couple days ago my power steering fluid is black so wanna change it.

Anybody have any tips or a guide? And know how many litres it takes? And best brand to use? Am planning on penrite unless told otherwise.

Thanks
Last edited by AdamHC on Tue, 07 Jul 2015 7:43 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
AdamHC

Re: Power steering fluid

Postby rory18 on Tue, 07 Jul 2015 7:18 +0000

This is the steps I used when servicing my power steering circuit. Keep in mind I am not a mechanic.

1. Jacked the front wheels off the ground to make it easy to cycle the steering from left to right.
2. Identified the return hose to the reservoir and disconnected it at the bottom and bring it up above the reservoir to stop it emptying and just slip a 12mm hose over the barb at the bottom than placed it in a container to catch the old fluid.
3. With continually topping up with fluid I cycled to steering left and right until the fluid coming over was a bright red.
4. Reconnected the lines and bleed the system

Sounds easy but did take me awhile dicking about to complete the job and got a little messy.
rory18
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AdamHC on Wed, 08 Jul 2015 5:38 +0000

rory18 wrote:This is the steps I used when servicing my power steering circuit. Keep in mind I am not a mechanic.

1. Jacked the front wheels off the ground to make it easy to cycle the steering from left to right.
2. Identified the return hose to the reservoir and disconnected it at the bottom and bring it up above the reservoir to stop it emptying and just slip a 12mm hose over the barb at the bottom than placed it in a container to catch the old fluid.
3. With continually topping up with fluid I cycled to steering left and right until the fluid coming over was a bright red.
4. Reconnected the lines and bleed the system

Sounds easy but did take me awhile dicking about to complete the job and got a little messy.

As I read that I was thinking doesn't sound too bad then I read that it took you a while haha. Do you remember how much fluid it needs? I checked the manual and it just said the type but not how much :?
AdamHC

Postby rory18 on Wed, 08 Jul 2015 6:14 +0000

Mine was bad, the flush took 2L or so than top up after bleeding. The main reason it was slow was because I couldn't allow and oil to drop on the floor (Rental house with unsealed concrete shed floor) so had rags and cardboard everywhere.
rory18
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Servicing