Oil leak after service

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Oil leak after service

Postby brooksey on Sat, 07 Mar 2015 8:04 +0000

I had my hilux in for its 24 month service two weeks ago and realized today there was a lot of oil on the garage floor. On closer inspection it is over a lot of the undercarriage around the engine. There is a black foam piece towards the front of the gearbox / transfer case (apologies for the wording... Bit of a noob). If I lightly squeeze it a fair amount of oil comes out, enough to soak a rag. It looks like this is where the oil is accumulating. It is also on some higher components in the engine bay like the oil filter?? (Black cylinder on battery side of SR5 diesel??).

I've checked the dip stick and it's hard to see because the oil is almost clear but it appears to be 5mm above the high tide mark on the dip stick. Does anyone have any ideas.... Something leaking or overfilled? Any feed back is appreciated.

Cheers
brooksey

Re: Oil leak after service

Postby fracturedranga on Sat, 07 Mar 2015 8:25 +0000

is the oil black or clean where its spillt? did it just start leaking today or is today the first time you noticed it?

if you paid to get it done take the sucker back and complain. it could be a few things,
they may have spilt a heap out of the oil filter when changing it (dirty oil)
might have missed the filler hole on refilling (clean oil)
didnt tighten new the filter properly or the old o ring off the filter stuck to the holder and it now has two o rings (seen heaps on generators) (cleanish oil)
if you paid for it take it back, complain loudly and get it cleaned. it might be that it was a "friday arvo" job and they just couldnt be f***ed cleaning it or the apprentice did it and tried to hide there f*** up. either way id be saying something and getting it sorted or telling them to stick it and finding another mechanic or just doing it yourself

if thats not an option jump underneath give it a really good clean, go for a short drive then recheck to see where its coming from
fracturedranga

Postby brooksey on Sat, 07 Mar 2015 8:48 +0000

Thanks for the reply. It's definitely clean oil and I only noticed it today but could have been happening since service. It was through the dealer and yep it was on a Friday lol. Also noticed a 10 to 15 cm O-ring sitting next to the battery.

Think I'll be taking it back
brooksey

Postby fracturedranga on Sat, 07 Mar 2015 9:08 +0000

i havent done my lux yet (i havent had it long and its still under cap price servicing so i have no idea on the oil filter o ring size but if id hazard a guess and say that o ring is the oil filter one, whether its the old one that came off the old filter or the new one that was meant to go on is anyones guess till you pull the filter back off. but id be haggling hard to get free shit, have a chat to the service guys you should at least manage a carton of beer for that kind of f*** up for whoever is responible, if someone owns up and cops it on the chin you know youve got a decent mechanic, if they play games and try to charge you for it kick up a huge stink, make a lot of noise and make it seem like you're going to be a huge hassle, thatll generally get them in line. then after its fixed find another dealer then name and shame.
keep us posted on how you go
fracturedranga

Postby dino12 on Sun, 08 Mar 2015 10:17 +0000

Mate an O-ring that size which I guess is just a quick guess, is more likely to be off the fuel filter I think. Another quick guess on my part. Your guess seems to be too big for an oil filter'. The other oil could well be from the oil filter being removed. When you remove the oil filter it is full of oil in some cases and it has nowhere to go except down the engine. notice the lip round the filter holder to minimise the damage. I'm assuming it's a diesel.
Cheers. dave.
dino12

Postby Steveyb on Sun, 08 Mar 2015 10:38 +0000

Toyota always spilt oil from the filter when they serviced my car. under where the filter screws on there is a little cup with a hole in it which catches oil from the filter and then spills through the hole and ends up everywhere. I since had a service done by QDAD at goodna and noticed that there was no oil spilt anywhere, then shortly after I realised they have attached a small length of black hose (fuel line?) To the hole in the cup and it runs down next to the sump plug area Where it drains into the oil tub.

Just chucking it out there

Steve
NLC
Steveyb

Postby packeteer on Sun, 08 Mar 2015 11:47 +0000

yep, take it back and complain.
like Steve said, they probably just spilt oil when changing the filter
2011 Dual Cab SR5 D4D manual.
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby brooksey on Tue, 10 Mar 2015 5:21 +0000

Turns out the tappet cover gasket was pinched and therefore leaking oil. Fairly sloppy work and poor quality control in my opinion. I'll wait and see if their 'customer service' makes up for it.

Thanks for the posts.
brooksey

Return to Servicing