Which OBDII scanner?

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Re: Which OBDII scanner?

Postby johnwood on Sun, 02 Nov 2014 11:17 +0000

Maxim wrote:
johnwood wrote:
Maxim wrote:I have an early '06 KUN26 1KD SR5 'Lux and cannot get a bluetooth scanner to talk to my ECU.. Any suggestions? I believe the OBDII is not "really" OBDII but MOBD or something like that.. I currently have 2 Bluetooth OBDII readers, one is ELM327 v1.5 based and the other is a Bosch based unit.. any help would be appreciated even the exact Protocol name or standard number would be a help..
Max

06 probably isnt compatible with obd2 - have to buy a differnt scan gauge

I know this.. :) I am trying to find out what does work with it.. (standard OBDII connector)

let me search newhilux for you........- result monster gauge obd scanner, a few people have them

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=ECU-SHOP+Monster+Gauge+-+OBD+smart+gauge+for+Hilux&oq=ECU-SHOP+Monster+Gauge+-+OBD+smart+gauge+for+Hilux&aqs=chrome..69i57.215j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8
johnwood

Postby 505COL on Mon, 11 Apr 2016 5:31 +0000

Hi guys and girls,
I've got the dashcommend app on the iPhone and these are a few of the more helpful PIDs.
Boost
Engine coolant temp
Intake temp
Volts
RPM
I would still love transmission temperature and I know it can be read from the obd2 socket but I can't find a PID for it, if anyone can help it would be great thanks.
Col
505COL

Postby Vanyis on Tue, 04 Sep 2018 11:02 +0000

I have an ELM 327 with the Torque Pro app https://10carbest.com/best-obd2-scanner but can't get it to connect to the new Hilux's ECU. It worked on the Vigo Hilux, but I am assuming Toyota is using a different OBDII protocol for the new Hilux.

I tried looking up which OBDII protocol the new Hilux use but couldn't find anything on Google so far. Most sites about OBDII protocols are out of date so difficult to find new info.

Also Torque Pro app doesn't display a lot of info on the Vigo Hilux as the app doesn't have the PID's for most of the sensors. So I'm thinking it is going to be the same for the new Hilux.

It seems Toyota went a long way trying to secure the ECU as tuners also can't yet flash the new Hilux, the ECU is still locked and they cannot read the files from it. So I am thinking that a cheap OBDII reader and Android app is not going to be of much help.
Check out this Youtube video about different OBD2 scanners. Hope this helps.Good Luck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtTYPOh4n-4
Vanyis

Postby ptrl1600 on Mon, 10 Sep 2018 9:17 +0000

505COL wrote:Hi guys and girls,
I've got the dashcommend app on the iPhone and these are a few of the more helpful PIDs.
Boost
Engine coolant temp
Intake temp
Volts
RPM
I would still love transmission temperature and I know it can be read from the obd2 socket but I can't find a PID for it, if anyone can help it would be great thanks.

I'm using this PID with Torque Pro to give me Transmission Pan Oil Temperature;
(((((E*256)+e)*(7/100)-400)/10)-32)*(5/9)
This gives me Transmission temperature in Celsius and only works on the 5 Speed Auto. There is another one for Torque Converter Temp, but I haven't bothered to find it as I'm only interested in average temps. The only issue that I haven't been able to overcome is that it goes up one degree at a time until 50c, then reads each other degree with a .9 after the temperature, but overall it's quite accurate.

ptrl1600

Postby 505COL on Tue, 11 Sep 2018 9:44 +0000

That looks great, I’ll try that OID but mines the 4 speed auto. Is that on a aftermarket android headset?
Col
505COL

Postby ptrl1600 on Wed, 12 Sep 2018 12:00 +0000

505COL wrote:That looks great, I’ll try that OID but mines the 4 speed auto. Is that on a aftermarket android headset?

Yes, it's an Android aftermarket head unit.
To my knowledge the 4 speed doesn't give a transmission temperature output, only the 5 and 6 speed transmissions do, but I'm happy to be corrected.
ptrl1600

Previous

Return to Servicing