D4D Diesel Injector re seat and Auto transmission - Help.

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

D4D Diesel Injector re seat and Auto transmission - Help.

Postby Rich on Wed, 18 Jun 2014 8:09 +0000

I have a 2005 D4D Auto with 98,000 km on the clock, which I have owned since new.
Yesterday I found out that there is a diesel injector re-seat, which apparently Toyota recommend at 80,000 km. I had my 80,000 service done at a Toyota dealership and they never mentioned this and it is not on the paperwork as being done.
I am concerned about the carbon Oil pick up screen issue, which apparently is fatal. Apparently this reseat changes the O rings and prevents the problem...

I rang my local Toyota dealer (Surf Toyota in Tweed) and the guy knew nothing about it. I also asked him about a flash / ECU software upgrade for the Auto transmission which he also knew nothing about - hence I came to the forum. I've done a search but haven't found any answers yet.

I have a couple of questions, hopefully someone has experienced this before or has some information:
1. Should I be ringing another Toyota dealer and asking about the injector reseat and getting this done?
2. How much does it cost?
3. Is there a recommended Toyota Service department in south Brisbane or Gold Coast area that is helpful?
4. Is there an Auto re-flash for 2005 model 4 speed Auto? (I did ask this in an older thread but don't think anyone is looking at that thread any longer).
5. What else should I be getting done to my truck in order to ensure longevity of the engine? Any other procedures that I obviously cannot rely on Toyota to tell me about. I prefer to hear about them before the damage is done :(

Thanks Guys, appreciated.
Rich

Re: D4D Diesel Injector re seat and Auto transmission - Help

Postby aandy on Wed, 18 Jun 2014 10:03 +0000

Re injector seats, yes it would be time to get them done, if you drain your oil and look up throught the drain hole you will see the mesh oil pick up screen that you mentioned, if dirty you have an urgent issue, if clean it is still time to change the seats.
Unless you can locate one of the toyota mechanics that give a F@ck(there are some on this forum) and somehow insist with the receptionist that you get that certain mechanic and then believe that you will get him, I would look for a decent diesel mechanic elsewhere.

My local toyota: http://youtu.be/6wS5xOZ7Rq8

Some light reading
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=13749

Re gearbox, do you have any trouble with it? If not just don't give a f like my local dealer.
aandy

Postby Smab on Wed, 18 Jun 2014 5:41 +0000

Robina toyota we're advising to change the O rings at 80000 km cost about $300
Smab

Postby Smab on Wed, 18 Jun 2014 5:43 +0000

I think it's Hinterland toyota new Robina shopping town
Smab

Postby Rich on Thu, 19 Jun 2014 9:27 +0000

Hi again guys,
So far - I have contacted 2 different Toyota dealerships now (both earlier this week) and e-mailed a third. Both that I called new nothing about the injector reseat and promised to call me back and took my mobile phone number.
Neither of them have called back and I think the e-mail was just too hard for them, which makes me feel like I shouldn't be chasing them to do a job on my car that they will probably stuff up if they can't even return a simple phone call or e-mail.

Clearly, they have enough work and don't want another job.

All those good diesel mechanical places I hear mentioned on here, are any of them within driving distance of the Gold coast. I want to get this preventative maintenance done but want to feel confident it was done properly.

Alternative, do any good Toyota mechanics work at any of the dealerships near me where I can just book it in.

Failing that, there is a guy in my street that has a generic mechanic workshop so I'll go ask him if he can do it I guess.
(I also hadn't heard good things about the Robina dealership prior to this).

Rich.
Rich

Postby piggo on Thu, 19 Jun 2014 11:54 +0000

Rich
Pm Roo he travels down the Goldy he might be still away at the moment.
He knows his sh€#t on D4Ds
Cheers
piggo

Postby Rich on Thu, 19 Jun 2014 1:35 +0000

Thanks will try that.
Rich

Postby Rich on Tue, 24 Jun 2014 11:13 +0000

I've just made some more calls (after hearing nothing back from 3 dealers from last week) - and been told by a Toyota dealer that the injector reseat is not a once off fix, it needs to be done every 40,000 km at a cost of around $350.00 each time. I will have to pay extra now that they didn't bother to tell me about it while doing the 80,000 service (or wait another 20,000 Kms to the 120,000 service)

How many people have had this done / get it done that regularly?

Also - Apparently the ECU re-flash for the D4D Auto transmission was only for Autos manufactured after August 2008.

Having to chase dealers and not having calls returned and not being able to get information is not something I really need...

Poor follow-up - It's disappointing.
Rich

Postby Rich on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 3:13 +0000

I got my Auto transmission sorted by changing the Auto transmission fluid. Toyota reckon it is never required, but since doing mine the Auto has been a lot better. Apparently it came out very dirty as well.

Now I just need to get those injector seats sorted...
Rich

Return to Servicing