2WD "Propeller Shaft" Grease Points?

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

2WD "Propeller Shaft" Grease Points?

Postby Queestce on Wed, 12 Mar 2014 10:23 +0000

G'day all,

I've recently taken ownership of a new (to me) 2010 GGN15R, V6 2WD SR. It's up for a routine 10k service, I am going to start doing the simple stuff myself in order to save $$$ and because I kind of enjoy it 8-) I've got a Toyota genuine manual, which is seemingly a little useless, and might pick up a Haynes one. My only issue with what's due in the 10k svc is the part relating to lubricating the propeller shaft... I know I need to grease the driveshaft (...) but I can't seem to find much info on how many nipples my 2WD shaft should have. If anyone happens to know that little bit of information I'd greatly appreciate the heads up. I presume I just grease it with chassis grease until it pumps out clean and I'm good to go? The requirement to check tension of the shaft bolts relates to the 8 bolts that hold the shaft to the actual flanges at either end I presume? Seems like they just need to be nipped up to 88 nm. In any case if anyone can shed any light onto either of those things I'd really appreciate the info!

Thanks for any help,

Tom K
Queestce

Re: 2WD "Propeller Shaft" Grease Points?

Postby benslux23 on Wed, 12 Mar 2014 3:25 +0000

Hi Tom

Not all 2wd hiluxs have grease nipples, you will find them on the uni joints of which there are three, i molybdenum disulfide grease in mine and I usually give it 3 or 4 pumps or until the grease starts to come out
Sometimes it sucks getting passed by a hilux, I don't seem to have that problem though
benslux23

Postby Queestce on Wed, 12 Mar 2014 3:51 +0000

Cheers mate,

I had a quick look under there this afternoon and found a few nipples. I have a grease gun here and some multi-purpose lithium grease which says its intended for chassis and U-joint application, is using lithium a bad idea? I can always get some moly grease if necessary.

I'll be showing my naivety here (...) but how do you actually use a grease nipple? :? I presume I stick the hose of the gun over the fitting and pump it till grease comes out, as described, but where will the grease actually excrete from? I figure it can't come out of the nipple if I'm pumping into it, so there must be a hole somewhere? Or will it come out of the actual joint?...

Will be doing the service tomorrow, so if noone replies I guess I'll find out the hard way :P

Thanks for the help mate.

Tk
Queestce

Postby Krat on Wed, 12 Mar 2014 5:02 +0000

Did mine this arvo.
A couple of quick tips.
Clean the grease nipple with a rag first to get all the dust and dirt off.
I always use something like the sharp end of a nail to push the little ball in the middle of the nipple in and out a few times to make sure it's free, don't push too hard, just make sure it moves in and out.
Secure grease gun nozzle nice and firm. It will usually lock on to the nipple.
Squeeze away. You will usually hear the grease expanding in the uni joints.
Have plenty of rags or paper towel on hand because it can get messy if you get it wrong. :D

Kev
Krat

Postby Queestce on Thu, 13 Mar 2014 8:46 +0000

Thanks for the tips Kev. I'll be giving it a crack this arvo. Have been servicing my bikes for years, but never a car. I'm hoping it's much the same, just on a larger scale :P Fingers crossed.

Tk
Queestce

Return to Servicing