Genuine or fake air & fuel filter?

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Genuine or fake air & fuel filter?

Postby Luxi46 on Tue, 07 Jan 2014 9:32 +0000

So I went to the dealer today for an air filter and fuel filter as my car is due for a service. I was searching the net for more parts afterwards and by chance came across information from Toyota's anti-counterfeit campaign (in regions dealing with a large volume of fake parts), explaining how to recognize genuine from fake. Here's an example from Toyota Makati, Phillippines: http://www.toyotamakati.com.ph/parts-an ... mpaign.php

After reading that, I became curious and compared the packaging of the filters I bought against the examples on the site and I was shocked to see that the fuel filter I just bought met some of those criteria like:

*font type - description and part numbers in bold (where I've seen examples from City Toyota Australia's Ebay listing with regular font type which I'll show later)
*5% screen on "Genuine Parts" logo - intended for parts made in Japan, and present on the fuel filter packaging, but this one is made in Thailand.
*Also note the different part description compared to the City Toyota part further down)

I'm beginning to think my fuel filter is fake, and as I bought them at the same time at the same dealer, I have doubts about the genuineness of the air filter as well, although both have the correct part numbers (Fuel filter 23390-0L041, Air filter 17801-0C010).

Here are some pictures of the parts I bought (click for full image):

Assumed fake fuel filter

Suspect air filter

City Toyota Australia examples from Ebay (assumed genuine):

Am I right in thinking that my dealer (the only one for the whole of Suriname by the way) has sold me fake parts and I should start kicking in some doors? And are these anti-counterfeit measures global, meaning do the rules apply everywhere or does Toyota use different packaging for different regions?

Suffice to say I won't be installing these untill I'm certain they're not fake ;) . I'd also appreciate it if you guys could post some pictures of these filters that you know to be genuine.
Cheers,
Marvin
Luxi46
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Genuine or fake air & fuel filter?

Postby boxhead55 on Tue, 07 Jan 2014 9:50 +0000

Mate I think you got gen. They sure look like what I fitted today and I can guarantee the ones I fitted are original. Look exactly like the pics you showed.
boxhead55

Postby rysermon on Tue, 07 Jan 2014 10:45 +0000

i have sourced mine from city toyota and also a 3rd part wholesaler who gets them from toyota direct from thailand and mine look just the same with the same description... never crossed my mind to be honest but i haven't had any issues with any of the fuel oil and air filters so far so good
"Lifes Simple, You make choices and you dont look back"
08 (09facelift) Hilux SR D4D - Daily and adventure vehicle
99 Silvia S15 Spec r - Sunday driver
rysermon

Postby Luxi46 on Wed, 08 Jan 2014 1:06 +0000

boxhead55 wrote:Mate I think you got gen. They sure look like what I fitted today and I can guarantee the ones I fitted are original. Look exactly like the pics you showed.

rysermon wrote:i have sourced mine from city toyota and also a 3rd part wholesaler who gets them from toyota direct from thailand and mine look just the same with the same description...

Excellent, so probably Toyota updated the packaging recently then. They sure as hell aren't making things easy by doing the very same thing they tell customers to look out for like the mismatched fonts and misspellings or descriptions I mentioned.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up guys ;). Appreciate it. These are going in later.
Cheers,
Marvin
Luxi46
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Servicing