Fuel Filter Replacement according to manual

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Re: Fuel Filter Replacement according to manual

Postby oggy on Wed, 11 Jul 2012 12:29 +0000

NimrodAUS wrote:Haha yeah I would like to have a pre warning buzzer also on the first filter, I think by the time the light is on the factory one it's cutting it fine. However I plan on draining both water seperators regularly so see what happens. More info on this buzzer would be good. U got a link?

No link, auto elec had the buzzer on his shelf. As for the sensor for the filter body , either google stanadyne and check there site or ask the dudes where your gettin your's from, they may be able to get one for you. As for where to mount the filter unit, i made up a bracket and just bolted it straight on to the arb secondary battery tray , needed 2 hose clamps and 6-8 inch's of 10mm fuel hose. Piece of piss 2 do didn't need a one-way valve as some have done on other threads. :D
Occupational health and safety officers..Stop messin with Darwin's theory of natural selection... Stupid hippies.

Oggy's build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=19033
oggy

Postby oggy on Thu, 12 Jul 2012 6:31 +0000

Picked up the lux today, been in for a major wiring. As for the peizo buzzer and light 8-) works a treat :!: :!: instructions said light (as supplied-no buzzer) will come on for a few seconds when key is turned on(piece of mind that system is working). Buzzer sounds and small chrome led bezzel lights up 8-) , no need for the ugly mutha of a gauge.
Occupational health and safety officers..Stop messin with Darwin's theory of natural selection... Stupid hippies.

Oggy's build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=19033
oggy

Postby outbackjoe on Fri, 13 Jul 2012 5:30 +0000

The initial reason for this post was to ensure I interpreted the manual correctly, in that there is no scheduled maintenance to the filter according to the manufacturer. That has been answered, but the replies open up some questions regarding how often to replace it. I'm no authority on filters so I'm probably wrong but my thoughts are:

1. Usually, when there is technical disagreement between those that participated in the design of an item, and those that didn't, those that participated in the design are correct. When those that did not participate in the design raise a design issue or oversight, usually there is no issue. Not always - designers aren't perfect, but taking a bet when all other things are equal, you'd bet on the side of the designers. Actually this is a whole topic that I can go on about all day - "Those that participated in the design vs those that didn't"
2. Fuel quality issues in Australia are largely unsubstantiated in my opinion. Sure our spec is different to Europe, we have more or less sulfur etc, but that is unrelated to suspended particles and water which is what the filter is designed to capture. We hear stories of damaged injectors etc from poor fuel, but I'm not sure if that problem is specific to Australia.
3. Filters do not filter less when they become dirty. They still filter, but it becomes harder to pass fluid through - it starts getting blocked. This manifests itself as a pressure drop across the filter as fluid is forced through. In industry, filters in lube systems protecting large / expensive equipment are replaced according to a pressure sensor measuring the pressure drop across the filter. When the pressure drop is too high, it flags a "blocked filter" alarm and the filter is then replaced. I don't know what instruments are on a Hilux fuel filter, but it sounds like it could be a water sensor and a pressure sensor. In terms of the filter becoming dirty, the pressure sensor would activate the fuel filter indicator and you would replace the filter - consistent with what happens on industrial machines.

So in my opinion replacing every 10k is overkill. You could argue it's introducing risk of contamination for no reward. But we need to pick a value between every 10k and every time the filter indicator comes on - it's up to your personal preference and experiences.
outbackjoe

Postby Downesy on Fri, 13 Jul 2012 5:46 +0000

Had my 20,000km service done yesterday , and asked the question . The Toyota service guy said in his own opinion he would change it every 30,000km and not to use bio diesel . I Think he said the cost would be around $150 supplied and fitted .
-2011 SR5 D4D HiLux-
Downesy

Postby oldrev on Fri, 13 Jul 2012 5:46 +0000

OUTBACKJOE
well written
ken
oldrev

Postby oldrev on Fri, 13 Jul 2012 5:48 +0000

Downesy wrote:Had my 20,000km service done yesterday , and asked the question . The Toyota service guy said in his own opinion he would change it every 30,000km and not to use bio diesel . I Think he said the cost would be around $150 supplied and fitted .

150 bucks to do a fuel filter your getting RIPPED
oldrev

Postby Downesy on Fri, 13 Jul 2012 5:54 +0000

oldrev wrote:
Downesy wrote:Had my 20,000km service done yesterday , and asked the question . The Toyota service guy said in his own opinion he would change it every 30,000km and not to use bio diesel . I Think he said the cost would be around $150 supplied and fitted .

150 bucks to do a fuel filter your getting RIPPED

Yeh, I will be doing it myself at that price ..
-2011 SR5 D4D HiLux-
Downesy

Fuel Filter Replacement according to manual

Postby NimrodAUS on Sat, 14 Jul 2012 11:14 +0000

Filter is like $30 bucks??
NimrodAUS

Postby Rustyau on Sun, 12 Aug 2012 4:47 +0000

Possibly a little under $30 if you haggle for trade price.
I'm 100% sure....I think
Rustyau

Postby 07luxyTD on Sun, 12 Aug 2012 5:16 +0000

$16 for a new filter for me, i personally think cheap insurance, that price and 10mins i do mine every 10,000 to 15,000

this is my filter after 10,000 km, i dodnt think the hunter area has the cleanestfuel :?

"Lucky you weren't cut off by my stihl"

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=13794
My Landcruiser Build http://www.newlandcruiser.net/phpbb/vie ... 90&start=0
07luxyTD

Postby Swaggie on Sun, 12 Aug 2012 5:32 +0000

I'm happy with the 10k limit with my diesel...
Swaggie

Postby sammy992 on Wed, 15 Aug 2012 12:41 +0000

toyboata wrote:Depends what fuel and where from.
I use purely Caltex Vortex which has always been very clean.
I changed my diesel filter at 30,000km and only the waxy outer layer of the element was stained black but the rest was like new. Based on that I could easily let it go for another 50k.
That said though I wouldn't and will be changing it every 30-40k.
Certainly though if I lived out of suburbia I would probably change it every 20k just to be safe.
The filters do however seem to work pretty well at filtering particulate matter at least. I changed a filter on customers Hilux the other week which had done 120k without ever being done. It looked like shit and in the bottom of the filter bowl was a lot of very fine metallic particles but the vehicle still ran like a dream and apart from a bit of the cold rattles he'd never had a problem with it.

Interesting - I did mine last service and also found small metallic particles in bottom of filter. Unless Toyota have reinvented the wheel (and they havent) you need to change the fuel filter !!!!!!!!!
I do mine every second service - so thats every 15k
personally, a filter is heaps cheaper than an injector pump or fuel injectors !!!
sammy992

Postby Hellbound on Mon, 20 Aug 2012 9:56 +0000

Agreed, maybe every 10km is too often but aslong as you are very clean and thorough i would change it every 40,000km just like the petrol model. After all a new filter does not filter out more particles than an old one straight away as the element hasnt had any time to swell and more particles do get through until its had some time catch a few bits n pieces

You would ideally take the whole canister off and clean it out completely with carby cleaner and wipe out with a lint free rag before putting a new filter in anyway, so doing all that every 10,000km i can see there is deffinately the potention to accidently get crap in there somehow...
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby BCH on Sun, 27 Oct 2019 7:32 +0000

Can anyone confirm the current part number for the diesel fuel filter for a 2007 KUN26R?
I have been sold (by Toyota) 2 part numbers - 233390-OL010 and TOYOTA 233390-OL050.
Can you tell me which one is correct?
BCH

Previous

Return to Servicing