How hard to replace rear wheel bearings?

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Re: How hard to replace rear wheel bearings?

Postby Parr on Tue, 25 Sep 2012 9:50 +0000

jakelux wrote:DON'T BUY CHEAP ONES!!
I would buy genuine, my Terrain tamer ones have been leaking from day dot, same with another member on here!

X2 I was told this when i did mine... is a important part of the car do it right.
Parr

Postby VMN on Tue, 25 Sep 2012 9:55 +0000

Parr wrote:
I would buy genuine, my Terrain tamer ones have been leaking from day dot, same with another member on here!

X2 I was told this when i did mine... is a important part of the car do it right.

Funny, I have a Repco one on one side and a TT one on the other and have had no dramas with either for 12 months. I don't think the Toyota ones are really that good given they only lasted 60,000 km!

If you have a leak, it is only an oil seal so surely it is not too hard to fix.
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby 07luxyTD on Tue, 25 Sep 2012 4:28 +0000

I agree but I thought terrain tamer used koyo bearings :? Made in japan and of good quality
Is it the seal thats leaking?
"Lucky you weren't cut off by my stihl"

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=13794
My Landcruiser Build http://www.newlandcruiser.net/phpbb/vie ... 90&start=0
07luxyTD

Postby jakelux on Tue, 25 Sep 2012 4:29 +0000

VMN wrote:
Parr wrote:

Funny, I have a Repco one on one side and a TT one on the other and have had no dramas with either for 12 months. I don't think the Toyota ones are really that good given they only lasted 60,000 km!

If you have a leak, it is only an oil seal so surely it is not too hard to fix.

Yes, well i think it came down to the crappy seal and ABS collar rather than the bearing...
So if the bearing is OK could you just change out the seal for a new (genuine) one? without having to touch/move the bearing... or is the bearing on the inside of the seal.. :?
jakelux

Postby jakelux on Sat, 06 Oct 2012 3:24 +0000

BUMP

jakelux wrote:So if the bearing is OK could you just change out the seal for a new (genuine) one? without having to touch/move the bearing... or is the bearing on the inside of the seal.. :?
jakelux

Postby tristan.robinson on Mon, 11 Mar 2013 8:08 +0000

So after a developing noise coming from under the car I was suspicious of a wheel bearing .. Took it to Toyota and they confirmed right rear bearing. They recommended doing both. $400 labour And $380 genuine bearings or $140 non gen!!! What a rip off!! Will be getting non gen and get rear brakes replaced too.
Ute has 166,000 km so unsure if this is normal wear and tear?
tristan.robinson

Postby Parr on Tue, 12 Mar 2013 7:07 +0000

jakelux wrote:BUMP

jakelux wrote:So if the bearing is OK could you just change out the seal for a new (genuine) one? without having to touch/move the bearing... or is the bearing on the inside of the seal.. :?

there are a few seals, The inner axle seal - if its leaking oil this will be the one to change, no need to remove the bearing but you do need to remove the axle from the housing.If you change it yourself be careful, make sure it self evenly and you dont kink of dent the seal remember to oil the seal aswell as the axle rotates on the seal.

there is a seal in the bearing case that's more like a dust/water seal it should only need changing if the bearing is changed, and yes the bearing needs to be removed for this.

and the outer axle, its an 'O' ring that stops water and dust getting in be oil will leak straight past it again you only need to remove the axle to change this.

tristan.robinson wrote:So after a developing noise coming from under the car I was suspicious of a wheel bearing .. Took it to Toyota and they confirmed right rear bearing. They recommended doing both. $400 labour And $380 genuine bearings or $140 non gen!!! What a rip off!! Will be getting non gen and get rear brakes replaced too.
Ute has 166,000 km so unsure if this is normal wear and tear?

sounds normal for toyota :lol:
Parr

Postby ILKBOMB on Wed, 10 Apr 2013 5:13 +0000

Mine are shot on my 07 4x4 hilux :(
Does any one reccomend a repairer in the Frankston Vic area?
Thank you.
ILKBOMB

Postby cizzink11 on Wed, 10 Apr 2013 6:00 +0000

I had suspicions that mine were going. The squeak at around 20ks was annoying and getting worse. But since I did the ripley bush day the noises are gone completely?

I was quoted 550 for both front bearings replaced including new brake fluid.
cizzink11

Postby Bushbound on Wed, 10 Apr 2013 3:50 +0000

Thanks Jake, the other member would be me. I've changed 4 rear bearings in 50,000km so have some experience in this matter.
The originals lasted to about 60 - 80000km and were replaced with Terrain Tamers and the first one started leaking oil at 5000km's, same as Jakes. I replaced the whole bearing and found the inner oil seal was very poor quality, stiff and had a metalic fleck through the rubber bit and had marked the area the seal runs on.
This seal is designed to keep the oil in the diff housing and when it fails, allows oil into the area with the bearing and into the bearing and washes the grease out of the bearing and into the ABS and brakes. This why the first sign of the oil seal failure is a thick mixture of oil and grease that turns to just diff oil over time as the grease washes away.
I have now fitted Terrain Tamer, BSC and MAxi Trak from Repco bearing kits and they all use the same Koyo bearing, as does Toyota I think and the only difference in the kits is some kits contain new circlips and different brand seals.
The bearing is a 'greased for life' sealed bearing and contains the correct amount of grease for its entire life, when the oil seal fails and washes this grease out of the bearing, its then only the remaining oil in the bearing doing the lubricating and may fail sooner than expected. Fixing the oil leak only fixes part of the problem.
I travel in remote areas and carry a rear wheel bearing kit as I can replace it on the side of the road if necessary, will be slow and rough but achievable where as I carry a spare front hub and bearing assembly as the 2 I've replaced needed 30 ton in a press to push them on and off and thats impossible on the side of the road.
Geoff
Danger is natures way of eliminating stupid people.
Bushbound

Postby Techo1 on Wed, 10 Apr 2013 4:23 +0000

Bushbound wrote:[
I travel in remote areas and carry a rear wheel bearing kit as I can replace it on the side of the road if necessary, will be slow and rough but achievable where as I carry a spare front hub and bearing assembly as the 2 I've replaced needed 30 ton in a press to push them on and off and thats impossible on the side of the road.
Geoff

What model do you have Geoff, I have special tooling to change these and ABS makes the job even harder even with the correct tools and a press, I would not like to try doing it on the side of the road.
Techo1

Postby jakelux on Wed, 10 Apr 2013 6:17 +0000

Geoff has '05 or '06 D4D SR.. no ABS

Mine is all good now.. New seals and done by decent mechanics that have been doing it longer than I've been alive.. Not by Pimple faced kid and a manager that says.. 'If you use it for 4 wheel driving things are gonna break'.... F##kin twits :evil: :twisted:
jakelux

Postby Bushbound on Mon, 15 Apr 2013 4:28 +0000

Techo1 wrote:What model do you have Geoff, I have special tooling to change these and ABS makes the job even harder even with the correct tools and a press, I would not like to try doing it on the side of the road.

Techo, as Jake said a 2005 SR, so no ABS to worry about. I plan NOT to change a rear bearing on the side of the road but carry enough tools to do the job if needed, would be rough but get me going if necessary. There is no way you could change a front bearing without a fair size press, so I carry an assembled hub, which is easy to change.
jakelux wrote:Mine is all good now.. New seals and done by decent mechanics that have been doing it longer than I've been alive

Jake, it was the shitty seal that failed, even if yoou and I did the job, the seal would have failed. Did you eventually change the bearings or just the seal ??
Geoff
Danger is natures way of eliminating stupid people.
Bushbound

Postby toyboata on Thu, 18 Apr 2013 8:22 +0000

The later model rear wheel bearings are very hard to replace. They are a sealed bearing pressed on to the axle with pressed on retaining ring and circlip.
Did a set the other day, one side was not too bad to get off without a press but the other side needed to be heated up with the oxy and probably the full force of a 50 ton press to get it off, this is after using angle grinder to cut off the retaining ring.
Certainly not a job you could do on the side of the road. I've been a mechanic over 13 years and that was the hardest bearing I've ever had to do.
toyboata

Postby Techo1 on Thu, 18 Apr 2013 8:47 +0000

Yes I use one of these - http://www.ggtechnics.com.au/products/g ... ress_tool/ - makes the job a bit easier to do but still not nice, especially with ABS.
Techo1

Postby toyboata on Wed, 24 Apr 2013 9:46 +0000

Techo1 wrote:Yes I use one of these - http://www.ggtechnics.com.au/products/g ... ress_tool/ - makes the job a bit easier to do but still not nice, especially with ABS.

Gonna have to get me one of those!
toyboata

Postby SRD4D on Tue, 31 May 2016 9:27 +0000

I just did my RH bearing (was noisey as ) in 1.5hrs and that was mucking around making bits up to knock the bearing back in.. the hardest part was getting the handbrake cable back in the lever.
The only tool to make the job easier is abit on 40nb tube abit longer than the axle to tap the bearing and retainer home.. to remove it just use a lump of hardwood or alloy for the spile and use enursur holding the the brake plate and knocking it against the block... Ill have a cuppa then do the LH side

I took photos of every step if anyone wants a walk through...
Facebook ..........The Australian toyota hilux 4WD group https://www.facebook.com/groups/296534054022895/
SRD4D

Postby TOYZX on Tue, 31 May 2016 1:51 +0000

Pics would be good. One of the few jobs i haven't done yet and I can sense it coming!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby SRD4D on Tue, 31 May 2016 2:57 +0000

TOYZX wrote:Pics would be good. One of the few jobs i haven't done yet and I can sense it coming!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

yep cool,Ill upload them all to photobucket then post them here..
Facebook ..........The Australian toyota hilux 4WD group https://www.facebook.com/groups/296534054022895/
SRD4D

Postby blatcho on Tue, 31 May 2016 3:21 +0000

Should i be able to buy the inner seal separately or will toyota only sell it as a full wheel bearing kit?
blatcho

PreviousNext

Return to Servicing