Valve clearances

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Re: Valve clearances

Postby Krat on Thu, 20 Mar 2014 4:52 +0000

andy666 wrote:At 80,000km your valve probably won't need adjusting. Why don't you have faith in your local toyota dealer? They are going to work on more hiluxs then anyone else in town.

I hear what your saying andy666. I have spoken to another hilux owner who had the cold rattle saga who had the injectors changed out at great expense at the local toyota place.
He still has the rattle thing happening with the new injectors and toyota told him "it's a diesel, they all have a loud rattle".
Hence, not much faith in the local group, however, if someone has had a good experience with Toyota in say Ballarat, Bendigo etc, then I'm prepared to travel to get a quality job done. :D :D :D

Kev.
Krat

Postby dano85 on Tue, 18 Nov 2014 10:31 +0000

Does any one have the measurements and any tips to check the clearances as I'm in doing my injector seals tomorrow and couldn't hurt to check.
Is there a good manual for these trucks?
dano85

Postby jplozza on Sun, 30 Nov 2014 6:55 +0000

There is a factory manual wild in the internet. Google may help

I have just checked all my clearances and found them to be all in spec. Ute has done 155,000km
On the inlet they should be 0.20 to .30 mm and the exhaust should be between 0.35 to 0.45 mm

My inlet were mostly smack bang in the middle range. My exhausts were closer to the max figure of 0.45mm

Check them cold and use the index mark on the fly wheel to put them in position. Measure half the valves with a feeler gauge set. Then rotate 360 deg and check the remaining half of the valves.

If they are out of specification things get tricky and you will need a copy of the workshop manual to work out what shims or cups you need.
jplozza

Postby kickinback on Sun, 07 Dec 2014 4:05 +0000

I tried but Yarra Valley Toyota decided not to do it as part of the 40,000km service. Charged for the parts tho.......
kickinback

Postby martynvella on Mon, 08 Dec 2014 5:58 +0000

How long do these valves last, if they are getting tight at 160k because of face/seat wear, has anyone had one need seats and valves( assuming these heads can even take seats ) due to normal wear? I have always liked to keep my vehicles for a long time and keeping the maintenance up so I know what devil I am driving so 15 years is about my average, maybe these days are gone.
martynvella

Postby Rustyau on Mon, 25 May 2015 6:38 +0000

Going to do injectors by baileys in the next couple of weeks. They don't do valve clearance checks, but I'm wondering if it's worth getting the clearances checked before they replace the injectors??
Got 150k on the clock
I'm 100% sure....I think
Rustyau

Postby fourby4diesel on Thu, 09 Jul 2015 5:41 +0000

There's lots of reasons why you should follow the Toyota workshop manual (not Toyota dealerships) on this.

In regard to replacing fuel pipes.
New injectors = new pipes.
You can re-use them on the same Injectors, if they are clean, up to 3 times in total. But be very carefull.
Baileys has done some r&d on this as have I, we agree on the 3 times thing.
However I'm a little more strict, I really don't want to re-use your pipes with new or replacement like new injectors.

My biggest reason is:
You are spending a lot of money, new Injectors & all the other parts & labour, why take the risk?
What risk you ask?
Have a look at all the sh!t that falls off the dirty, corroded bastsrd$.

It can be hard to see in the pics, but lots of crud.
This engine was a bit of a pig, it was degreaser & truck washed before the job, but the stain stays.
As does the sh!t in around the nozzle holder seals & pipes.

DO YOU WANT THOSE DIRTY PIPES NEAR YOUR BRAND NEW INJECTORS? :? :shock: :lol:

Before you answer I will remind you, there are 8 tiny holes in the end of the fuel injectors, smaller than a hair, you cannot see them with you eye, also very tight tolerances inside.
I can see the crap & corrosion on the pipes, do you think it may cause a problem if its going through your Injectors & jammed in a hole?
Mess up your spray pattern? Well who knows, keep your answer to yourself :cool:

This is likely another reason so many people getting the customer service exercise done are getting the vehicles back with problems.
How much care are they taking? Could you be so carefull to not get crap in the new Or even used injectors? IMO no, I'm not confident.
NEW PIPES!

Do we need more reasons?

After years of 22,000psi, erosion may be taking place inside the pipes, there may be particles that could make it to your injectors.
Each time you use the pipes, they squash, IMO overusing is risking leaks that may start at a later date.

New injectors
New pipes

Don't forget they must be torqued.
32nm for new.
35nm for re-using.

Just hope the last guy didn't crank them with the spanner to about 40-50 nm.
New DENSO Injectors are the go! New genuine parts.
Cheers, Anth - Technician - 1KD-FTV

Check your injectors about every 10,000k.
WARNING check oil pickup screen is clear
no chips no tune ups - why increase risk of piston cracking?
fourby4diesel

Postby fourby4diesel on Mon, 20 Jul 2015 3:12 +0000

martynvella wrote:How long do these valves last, if they are getting tight at 160k because of face/seat wear, has anyone had one need seats and valves( assuming these heads can even take seats ) due to normal wear? I have always liked to keep my vehicles for a long time and keeping the maintenance up so I know what devil I am driving so 15 years is about my average, maybe these days are gone.

They can be adjusted. They will last a long time.
Longer if you clean the Derchie :lol:
Plate up. 7mm. :D

fourby4diesel

Postby hiluxxury on Mon, 21 Nov 2016 1:04 +0000

I'm going through the process of putting some new injectors in, so while I was there I cleaned the EGR and inlet manifold, and checked the valve clearances.

My 2005 D4D has a bit over 290,000kms and all of the valve clearances are in spec - I was surprised with this so I checked again... same values.

Is this normal or should I check for a third time?
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby fourby4diesel on Mon, 21 Nov 2016 5:05 +0000

The valve seats wear from early days. From the dry abrasive soot.
Later with more blow by oil to lube it up, they seem to settle, I'd say they will be ok forever.
Check them every 120,000k & change the washers.
So pretty normal.

fourby4diesel

Postby fourby4diesel on Mon, 21 Nov 2016 5:07 +0000

fourby4diesel wrote:There's lots of reasons why you should follow the Toyota workshop manual (not Toyota dealerships) on this.

In regard to replacing fuel pipes.
New injectors = new pipes.
You can re-use them on the same Injectors, if they are clean, up to 3 times in total. But be very carefull.
Baileys has done some r&d on this as have I, we agree on the 3 times thing.
However I'm a little more strict, I really don't want to re-use your pipes with new or replacement like new injectors.

My biggest reason is:
You are spending a lot of money, new Injectors & all the other parts & labour, why take the risk?
What risk you ask?
Have a look at all the sh!t that falls off the dirty, corroded bastsrd$.

It can be hard to see in the pics, but lots of crud.
This engine was a bit of a pig, it was degreaser & truck washed before the job, but the stain stays.
As does the sh!t in around the nozzle holder seals & pipes.

DO YOU WANT THOSE DIRTY PIPES NEAR YOUR BRAND NEW INJECTORS? :? :shock: :lol:

Before you answer I will remind you, there are 8 tiny holes in the end of the fuel injectors, smaller than a hair, you cannot see them with you eye, also very tight tolerances inside.
I can see the crap & corrosion on the pipes, do you think it may cause a problem if its going through your Injectors & jammed in a hole?
Mess up your spray pattern? Well who knows, keep your answer to yourself :cool:

This is likely another reason so many people getting the customer service exercise done are getting the vehicles back with problems.
How much care are they taking? Could you be so carefull to not get crap in the new Or even used injectors? IMO no, I'm not confident.
NEW PIPES!

Do we need more reasons?

After years of 22,000psi, erosion may be taking place inside the pipes, there may be particles that could make it to your injectors.
Each time you use the pipes, they squash, IMO overusing is risking leaks that may start at a later date.

New injectors
New pipes

Don't forget they must be torqued.
32nm for new.
35nm for re-using.

Just hope the last guy didn't crank them with the spanner to about 40-50 nm.

This is a great post, I must have moved my images.
I'd love to edit many posts, fix it up, but they took it away, great idea. Not!

fourby4diesel

Postby hiluxxury on Mon, 21 Nov 2016 5:56 +0000

fourby4diesel wrote:The valve seats wear from early days. From the dry abrasive soot.
Later with more blow by oil to lube it up, they seem to settle, I'd say they will be ok forever.
Check them every 120,000k & change the washers.
So pretty normal.

Thanks Anth, that makes sense.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby kris_white on Fri, 12 May 2017 11:47 +0000

My Advice to anyone having these checks done at the regular service is check the engine to see if the intercooler has been off and the work done - and then check your invoice to see if you were charged for the labour and parts. Just had my 120K service (2010 1KD-FTV) done by Toyota with the specific request to check the valve clearances. Was charged for the parts and labour but there were still bugs and leaves on the intercooler and dust on the rocker cover! Dealer admitted they hadn't done it and shouldn't have charged for it - now they are going to do it but I'm now a bit worried - hope they put it all back together correctly!

Anyway just a gripe - thanks to everyone who inputs on this forum - I just read it for the knowledge!

Cheers

Chris
kris_white

Postby hiluxxury on Fri, 12 May 2017 12:55 +0000

kris_white wrote:My Advice to anyone having these checks done at the regular service is check the engine to see if the intercooler has been off and the work done - and then check your invoice to see if you were charged for the labour and parts. Just had my 120K service (2010 1KD-FTV) done by Toyota with the specific request to check the valve clearances. Was charged for the parts and labour but there were still bugs and leaves on the intercooler and dust on the rocker cover! Dealer admitted they hadn't done it and shouldn't have charged for it - now they are going to do it but I'm now a bit worried - hope they put it all back together correctly!

That is real poor form from your dealer. I do my own servicing but if I was to pay for servicing, I'd certainly be checking any work that was carried out.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby llough10 on Tue, 15 Aug 2017 8:35 +0000

Hi All,

Just searched for a step-by-step procedure for checking 1KD Valve Clearances.

My 2007 Hilux is just ticking over the 300,000km mark. Well serviced - no noises (EXCEPT some mild injector rattle, which is now due and parts have been ordered) and performs admirably.

I have kept up with EGR cleaning/maintenance - never really had any more than 2mm of soot build-up, cleaned a second time and will be installing catch-can shortly.

About to put another set of Injectors into the Hilux - then I found this thread interesting. Did anyone have a link to where I can get a step-by-step procedure plus tools necessary for the job? I have used the search function 'valve clearance', 'bucket' and 'shim' to no avail.
llough10

Postby jas6395 on Fri, 07 Dec 2018 9:11 +0000

Does anyone know what Toyota are charging per bucket?
jas6395

Postby hiluxxury on Sat, 08 Dec 2018 5:31 +0000

I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Previous

Return to Servicing